New Build in NE FL

Spoke with PB today about time line and he thanked us for the feed back on the plumbers as their actions reflect directly on their company and he does not tolerate behavior like that. Footer for the screen enclosure should be done in the next week and then tile as soon as Lightstream is here.

He is a very smart man. I bet he does not use them again. It is like the first time you call a company. That is the first impression that will stick with you for a long time.

Do you have a shipping date for the tile yet?

Have they filled in by the house?

Do you have your test kit yet?

Kim:kim:

Ship date for tile is still estimated for the 15th.

We have decided to add 5 feet to the side of the house side screen near the spa. Also getting cost of making the length away from the house, towards the trees, 34 feet instead of 32 feet. It will give a little more room on both sides bc the pool curves in as it approaches the tree side and will just give a sense of more room. And then the extra 5 feet on the side will give way more room over there. I always thought it was not as far along the house as I thought it would be so we only get one shot at this bc of the screen. Cant just easily add pavers so we decided lets do it.

The original screen was stopping right next to the trim on the right side of the window on the left. It will now stop just before the outlet and wires on the house and a little after where the seam is visible on the eve of the roof. Adds 90 sq ft
17264968_10211011472949968_668094301199291095_n.jpg

This is taken from the corner of the screen enclosure by the spa. Where I am is the current back wall. That vertical stake in the foreground is the corner of current screen. You can see where the dirt is mounded up behind the shell. Just behind that taller mound is where it will be if we don't move it. 2 feet 4 inches from the back of the shell. Of we add 2 more feet, it will go to where that wood is laying on the ground half way down.
17265024_10211011473389979_5362609672414681020_n.jpg

So def adding those 5 feet on the side. Getting price of the 2 feet for the entire length.

I really think that added space will make the difference in liking it and loving it! The side part will be good for putting toy storage as well as chemical storage in those neat deck boxes/benches.

That area in the back is NEEDED not just wanted. I would be SO worried about WHEN I would poke the pole of the net or vacuum through the screen. It would only be a matter of time with me :roll:

Kim:kim:

One of the PBs manager guys was here today and I spoke to him about it and he said for sure about doing the 2 feet further out. So glad these guys are so understanding and patient!!

Lots and lots of rain from 6pm to 1am. While it is technically needed, it makes for fun mud. Thankfully not too bad as it has been unseasonably dry.

Hopefully can update with some real progress soon. Things are in a holding pattern with waiting on the tile.

So unfortunately not a lot going on as 1) we are waiting on the glass tile and 2) we opted to enlarge the deck and screen enclosure.

PB gave us the price to add 5 feet on the side of the house to enlarge the sitting area and the 2 feet towards the tree so there is more room behind the pool and in both corners. I also had him price out how much extra the 20/20 screen is vs 18/14.

After getting the pricing, we decided to go with adding the extra feet in both areas but keep the 18/14 screen. It was $800 more for the screen and we don't have no see ums that often so nixed that.

Also, yesterday we had a delivery of our ceramic waterline tile that will be accented with the Lightstream tile, the ledger stone for the spa and back of the wall, our under step lighting, coping grout, and silver travertine coping for the spa.

I opened one of the tile boxes and laid them out and placed my sample of the Lightstream tile with it. The colors look great but I noticed my Lightstream sample is a little bit larger than 6x6. This poses a problem since the Lightstream is going to be in the waterline tile and the grout lines won't match up and I don't want them to cut the glass tile.

The Lightstream comes mounted on a clear plastic for application. It seems the spacing between the 2x2 pieces is too large which makes the entire 6x6 square too big. Waiting for a call back to discuss this.

Also, as I figured, there was a delay with the tile, so should ship out at the end of March. I already knew this happens often so not surprised. The rep I am working with has been helpful though and communicating so it's all good.

Here is the new rendering showing the added decking. Also the ceramic and glass sample together.

17457952_10211091919361078_2695472470172013589_n.jpg

17498821_10211091920241100_1589058742957303996_n.jpg

17498391_10211091920081096_740420007459151363_n.jpg

Here you can see how the glass tile is longer than the ceramic.
17426229_10211091920961118_7800442939776888578_n.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just skipping through and your LightStreams caught my eye since I also have it on my pool. I absolutely love it. You have one of the best ideas ever using your 9-blocks of glass to accent the waterline tile! I may have done something totally different if I had thought of that!!!! And the match between the tile and glass is gorgeous!!! If your installer of the glass is halfway decent, there should be no problem installing the glass 9-blocks without the mesh backing. Our guy HAD to remove the backing for the glass on the spa spillway due to the spillway slant and curve. It looks great. I'll try to come back later and look more through your build pics to better answer about lining up the top or bottom edge of the 9-blocks (if that's still needed if installed without the backing). For my pool, there are places where the coping does not jut out over the waterline tile. Even so, I would line up the bottom edge of the 9-block since it will be below the waterline. From your signature you are using a plaster finish like we did. The plaster will also help hide any minute imperfections in that bottom edge. I had leftover glass tile so used it below the water line tile - odd but we love it. When the guy installed it, he was in a hurry and not happy he had to come back to do more. A few of the glass tiles were not lined up perfectly, but the plaster filled in nicely and it looked nice.

Here's the page of a sample page showing the waterline tile (mine is beige) on the spa. An uneven top edge of the waterline tile would show more than under coping. On the same page is a side shot of the spa spillway. You can see the glass tiles - they were installed one at a time rather than using the mesh. I can't believe I didn't take a better close up.
Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX - Page 40

This page has a picture of the tile on the spa bench. If you look to the left edge of the lower bench, you can see the edge is not perfect. I never noticed it until now looking for shots where the glass was laid one by one. I think with the plaster and being underwater, it looks fine.
Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX - Page 70

I can't wait to see your waterline tiles all in. It's going to be beautiful!!!

Suz

Good idea going with a bigger space, however there really should not be much of an up charge for the finer mess. Per our screen guy, we went with the finer mess on the sides and the bigger mess on the top. The screen guy said that no see ums will fly higher than about 6 ft.

So unfortunately not a lot going on as 1) we are waiting on the glass tile and 2) we opted to enlarge the deck and screen enclosure.

PB gave us the price to add 5 feet on the side of the house to enlarge the sitting area and the 2 feet towards the tree so there is more room behind the pool and in both corners. I also had him price out how much extra the 20/20 screen is vs 18/14.

After getting the pricing, we decided to go with adding the extra feet in both areas but keep the 18/14 screen. It was $800 more for the screen and we don't have no see ums that often so nixed that.

Thanks all.

We actually measured the tiles and found that the ceramic 6x6 is 5 13/16 and the LS glass is 5 15/16. After thinking it over and boucing the idea off PB, we figured we would do an even bottom and let the small difference be under the coping edge at the top. But PB is calling his tile guy tomorrow to see if he has dealt with this before and get his input.

The only places where the coping will not directly be over lapping the water like tile is by the raise spa, the steps next to the spa, and the wall at the back of the pool. However at the steps and spa area, we have ledger stone in this area above the water line that will stick out further than the tile so should hide anything there. The only place we could run into an issue is the wall. So this is going to take a little planning.

I would like to keep the LS tile on the clear plastic backing as it will ensure uniformity and the tiles being straight as a human hand is only so perfect but machines can be more precise when lining up the 2x2 pieces before placing the plastic backing.

We don't have a huge no see um problem and also we have a nice breeze most of the time and I did read the 20/20 screen can block even more wind so the 18/14 is fine.

PB says footer should be poured next week.

Suz, thanks! This tile actually has a clear plastic that it is mounted to instead of mesh. What this does is allows the glass tile to be back buttered and then mounted directly to the thin set on the pool with no mesh in between that could cause a bond issue. So when it is placed on the thin set, the plastic is now covering the tile that you will see once completed. They let it dry and then peel the plastic off, revealing the glass tile with no thin set on the face. They they chisel out any thin set from the grout area so grout can be placed. Thanks for those links. We wanted to do the entire waterline with this glass tile but it was going to be over $4000 including labor. By switching to using it as an accent on the water line but still having my wall covered in the glass tile and my accents on steps etc, we saved over $3000. I am a tad obsessed with this glass tile though!

So will wait to see what PB tile guy says. I trust my PB and know we will figure out the best way to make this work. I just assumed all "6x6" tiles had like an industry standard. Like a 2x4 piece of wood isn't a true 2x4 but a 2x4 from Lowes is the same size as one from Home Depot, ya know?

Thinking out loud....

As you know, we are doing the ceramic tile and every 5th tile is the Lightstream tile as an accent. Then coming up directly from the waterline tile, we have a 2 foot wall that is all Lightstream tile. So if the top edge is where we let the uneven grout be, it will be very visible where the wall is.

What if we had the waterline tile where the wall is be all Lightstream tile and no ceramic? Then the rest of the waterline can be the ceramic with Lightstream accent? Would that look too weird to have a 10 foot section of the waterline be solid Lightstream to match the wall and then the rest just accented?? I am not even sure we have enough extra to do that.... But trying to come up with ideas.

So we are 8 tiles short of being able to do the glass at The waterline only at the wall area. I put a call in to Lightstream to see if we can add some tiles to the order, risk it and buy 8 samples, or reach out to previous customers for left overs. Sigh...

We did however have work done today! They framed out the footer for the screen enclosure. I believe PB said inspection will be Monday and pouring Tues or Wed. I am so happy we decided to add on to those 2 areas as now I am totally happy with the size. We now have just over 1500 sq ft of deck, including the existing patio. It looks balanced now and not like we squeezed a pool into a small area.

17309685_10211103216723505_4179279274155283609_n.jpg

17458273_10211103216883509_14027193418114387_n.jpg

17458395_10211103217363521_8197097486845744409_n.jpg

You will enjoy the added extra space and wish you had more space:eek:. You will be quite surprised how much space furniture etc takes up:cheers:

I am not sure. Hoping Lightstream rep will have 8 I can get. There was a guy here in Jax that posted on this board and did a remodel of a pool and used the same tiles and offered to sell the left overs but it was a couple of years ago. I had commented on the post and sent him a message but doubt he gets on here any longer. Will figure it out somehow...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.