Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 acting funny!?!?

Flatlander

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2012
Oklahoma City
My SWG is indicating low salt (red light) but it's an ideal 3400 after checking. Flow is green light and sanitizer output is green at 20%. Cold water is not illuminated (53 degree) and water temp is 46.
FWIW installed new May, 2014.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

Flat,

It is pretty normal for the Pentair SWCGs to show low salt as the water temperature gets below 60 degrees or so. The temperature sensor is not calibrated in anyway, so operation is really dependent how accurate your particular sensor is.

This time of year, I just shut the SWCG off and manually chlorinate my pool.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

If the water temperature is 46F, then there should be no chlorine production at all. The IC's should report FREEZE PROTECT at temperature's below 56F. Sounds like your ICs internal temperature sensor failed as JamesW pointed out.

The salt sensor is temperature compensated. However, if the sensor fails, the software defaults to a standard reference temperature (I think it's about 76 Fahrenheit).

If the software is using 76 Fahrenheit then it's going to get the salinity wrong at any other temperature.

If you push the "More" button for about five seconds, the "Cold Water" led will go solid red if the temperature sensor is bad.

In any case, you should not use the salt system until the water warms up.

Also, the cell will work ok in the temperature range that it is supposed to with a failed temperature sensor so you don't necessarily need to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.