Liquid stabilizer better than solid for SWG pools?

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Hello all!

CYA was a bit on the low side, so I went to my local Leslies to buy CYA. I was opting for the solid (cheaper, right?), but the 2 guys there tried to convince me that liquid was a better idea. Their rationale: solid CYA in the skimmer (even if in a sock) would make the environment to acidic and would eat into the SWG cell life by damaging the plates, but liquid would already be diluted/easier on the cell.

Apparently this is "new" industry advise and the incremental cost of liquid vs. solid would pay off in longer cell life. In my search today, I saw nothing to indicate that this was a valid argument. I'm willing to bet someone will debunk this and validate my purchase of solid CYA.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Happy TG!

Solid CYA is best placed in a sock (nylon works better) and placed in front of a return in the deep end of the pool and allowed to dissolve slowly. TFP never advocates adding chemicals directly or indirectly to the skimmer. Even so, if the pump is running and the CYA is in a sock in the skimmer, the pH change of the water inside the skimmer will be tiny at best. You wouldn't want to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

Solid CYA is always more cost effective than liquid CYA. Liquid CYA is, at best, 30% CYA in solution and it is often twice the unit cost of granular CYA. So you are often paying a very high premium for mere convenience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.