Partial drain of pool....

In trying to lower CYA, if I drain pool below return jets, is it OK to still use equipment "as usual" while it refills via water leveler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sam,

Maybe I just don't understand the question, but if you drain the water below the return lines, you can't use your equipment "as usual". Your water will be way below the Skimmers and your pump will just be sucking air. If you have the right valves, you may be able to shut off the skimmers and only select the main drain and run your system that way.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I do have valves to shut off skimmers IF I wanted to do lower level during the day with pump in use....my plans are to fill most if not all night, so pump wouldn't suck air......I'm well aware of the slight drop in FC from pool math (should be 6 on low end with that CYA), but Dolphin manufacturer states not to use in FC over 4? What to do? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sam,

The worst thing it will do to your Dolphin is fad the plastic. But, it seems that what you are doing makes sense.. drain and refill will reduce your CYA level to a point where your FC can be much closer to 4 ppm.

Almost every manufacturer, of almost all pool equipment says to keep the FC below 3 or 4. I believe that they do this because they do not use CYA in their analysis. My understanding is that an FC of 4 without CYA is worse than an FC of 10 with a CYA of 90. Let's face it, if you can swim in it, how bad can it be for a machine?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.