Poor water flow

Aug 19, 2016
San jacinto
I have a pentair 320 clean and clear plus filter. Pool is 1 1/2 years old. Having to keep variable speed pump on speed 4 (3550). Instead of low economy setting to get any flow. Water coming over spa spillway to pool is very very poor. Water does not seem to circulate in pool at all. Have yellow algie also. Treat but does not help. We clean pump filters and water bubbles into jacuzzi and spillway is thick flow for about 2 to 3 days then then back to nothing. Cleaning pump filters every week. This is ridiculous. Spa jets hard after cleaning then barely any jet pressure at all. Pool is 36 x 15 with 7' diameter spa. Deep end is 7 .5'. We were never shown how to operate the system. Please help. Also can't seem to maintain ph or cholorine levels. Chlorine always low to 0 even after adding tons, alkaline high, no residual chlorine either. Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thank you so much for any help, patricia

Welcome to TFP Patricia!

Althought there may be more than on issue to address here, we need to get you focused on understanding what's going on in your pool first. Our basic tennant is strong fundamental knowledge, and testing your own water to gain full control of it. You can first begin with the ABCs of pool care in our pool School section. From there you can grasp more as soon as you can absorb it. You should have a good test kit ordered and on the way while you're beginning that study process.

Without a proper test kit you are flying blind without any way of knowing where to go. It may seem daunting at first, but you'll find out pretty soon that its all very simple, and you dont have to do much beyond the basics once you get into this a little. There are literally hundreds of willing people here to help with any question that might arise, and they are happy to help you in any way possible while you are learning. Take a little breather, check around the forum and you'll find countless others who were once in your shoes but couldn't be happier having taken the same path I've suggested to you.

Glad you found us, and I do hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

Patricia,

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here... :lovetfp:

I've got Good News.. your filters are working perfectly... Unfortunately, the Bad News is that your filters have got something to do...

In the perfect world filters would never get dirty, because the water would be, well.. perfectly clean.

In real life, as the water gets contaminated, the filters capture all the bad things, and return clean water to your pool. But, the more the filters capture, the harder it is for water to get through them. (This is the reason you are having to run your pump at 4450 RPM). The most likely culprit is dead algae.. The basic problem is that the algae in your pool is growing faster than you can kill it so you are just going around in circles.

As Patrick has suggested, you need to read Pool School and order the TF-100 Test kit.

I know it sounds just like one of those late-night TV commercials.. Buy this.. and it will cure cancer and bad breath.. But, that is not really the case here. Before we can help you fix your pool problems, we need reliable test data from your pool. Pool store tests, or other test kits, do not provide the data we need to be able to help you. Look through some of the bazillion posts here and you will see what I mean.

We will need the following chemical levels, and the only way to do that is to buy one of the recommended tests. The tests are easy to do, and you, not the pool store, control the quality and accuracy of the tests.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Each of the above tests are somewhat interrelated, so it is very important for us to have accurate test data. We do this by asking everyone to use the same basic test kit, so that we are always comparing apples to apples.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.