Green pool, SWG broken - advise on how to maintain pool until SWG is fixed.

Good morning.
FC is 9.5 (19 drops until clear).
Pool math says 3 jugs of 4.25 bleach to get to 16 FC.
I'll add that now.
SWG is still generating.
Pool still green though - no sign of change yet.
Ill check in tonight. Please let me know next steps for tonight so I can plan ahead.

Thanks

That is actually really good! It's eating the algae.

Your pool is going to be green for a while as the chlorine takes over. It took a while to get green so it's gonna take a while to get blue, but you are on the right path.

I'll come up with a plan for you and make some guesses you can prepare for. Won't know exactly what to do until you have new readings.

You might even see some progress when you get back!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Would you mind explaining how you do your CYA test? This seems to be the trickiest test for everyone and I just want to make sure you are doing it properly...

Plan for tonight-
Check-
FC
CC
CYA
TA

Also test what ever water source you use to refill the pool. Do a full blown test and write the info down for future reference. Will make it easier to predict you levels when you add water.

My guess is-
FC 12ish
CC 1-1.5
CYA 30-40 hopefully
TA 140-150

So.. based on my guess,
add bleach to get FC back up to 16 for over night...
Elevated CC's mean the chlorine is doing what its supposed to... The sun will help burn off the excess and the filter will take the rest.

CYA will have to come up at some point being you have an SWG... CYA/Chlorine You can do this now or wait.. If you do it now, it will increase the target FC slam level and you will have to add quite a bit more bleach after you add stabilizer -OR- you can press on at the 30-40 target level until your pool clears up, then raise the CYA to SWG operating levels... Personally, I would shut off the SWG and rely on the bleach for the time being. The SWG is helping maintain the elevated chlorine level but as you can see it cant quite keep up (12 down to 9.5 in 6 hours). They aren't designed to slam pools so they struggle when this process is going on. You can continue to run it to assist over night and when you are at work and cant be there to add when more chlorine is needed.

TA comes down every time you add MA to adjust PH... and will go back up when you add water to the pool depending on what your fill water alkalinity level. No need to worry about this but should be in the back of your mind. We can play with this after the slam is over.

How much free time do you have to commit to this? I did mine on a weekend when I was available to check levels every 1-2 hours...

Thanks for your long email. I'm heading home now to do tests and will post them.
In the meantime I have a few thoughts :
How long is the slamming process meant to take?
When is it safe for anyone to swim? My kids are going crazy.
Why do we not raise the fc level to 22 or higher right away. I ask coz I'm curious and everyone is telling me to shock the heck out of the pool and it should be good in 24 hours. Why don't we use super shock or floc to help. Once again I'm just curious.
Would I be checking the FC levels every to hours for a few days during the slam.
What is my goal shock fc level?
I'll do all the tests and post the numbers.
Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slamming process takes a while depending on how much algae had taken over... if there is a bunch then it takes longer which is why I've started you the way I did... its kind of a mini slam to prep for a quicker slam..in theory.

It's safe to swim between normal target fc and slam fc. It's healthier for everyone when the pool is clean.

Over chlorination wastes bleach.. if you are too far over the target it doesn't do much... you target is according to your cya level

Here are my test results:
FC - 10.5 - (21 drops til clear)
CC - 0
CYA - 35ish
TA - 160 - (16 drops)

Pool math says 2-3 jugs to take it to 16 FC.

I'll test the water source later as I have to run out for a bit.

Thanks,

We don't use super shock because it adds extra stuff your pool doesn't need.. it also spikes other levels which can get out of control really fast.

Floc is a last resort if the cloudiness doesn't go away. It binds to the fine particles that your filter can't catch.

The tfp way may take a little longer but in the long run it will be easier to mange if your levels are under control.

You'll be concentrating on fc and cc during the slam and not much else... it's important to keep your fc at or just above the target level to ensure max algae killing power.

Your slam target will be according to your cya level.. 30 is 12fc, 40 is 16 fc

- - - Updated - - -

Here are my test results:
FC - 10.5 - (21 drops til clear)
CC - 0
CYA - 35ish
TA - 160 - (16 drops)

Pool math says 2-3 jugs to take it to 16 FC.

I'll test the water source later as I have to run out for a bit.

Thanks,

CYA of 35ish will target 40.. there really is no in between the lines value so we target the next highest
So crank it up to 16 or even 18 for the night and check again in the morning

Good morning.
Im feeling very excited this morning.
Pool has taken on a cloudy light blue colour.

FC reading is 18 (36 drops til clear).

Its starting to come together now. :)

What shall I do next?

Keep your FC at or just above 16 as best you can until the water clears up. Scrub the surfaces with your brush and watch the pressure on your gauge...That's about it for now.. Its a waiting game from here out...

- - - Updated - - -

Did you have any CCs?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.