New Northeastern Pa Build

OUCH!!!! That hurts bad!! DOUBLE??? They know they have you between a rock and hard place!

it's not just mine. it's all brands and types across the board with shingles. petroleum prices are off the wall along with production. the one shingle that we couldn't afford 12 years ago was 150 a square but u also had to do full copper flashing everywhere so we didn't go that route. even though we ended up copper flashing wit the ones i used anyway so now when i think of it now it would have been a deal cause now those are 350 a square! the cheapest type in the certainties line was about 50 a square now they are between 150-220 depending on weight of the shingle.

i haven't been down our lumbar years in 2 years. when i framed the basement i remember lumbar wasn't up much at all. curious now. my buddy who is has a custom furniture/cabinet shop said it's all over the place. wood prices are like the stock market. he buys in large quantities when he gets calls from suppliers that something like cherry or mahogany is down. he stocks up on it. we did that for my bar to save money 2 years ago. it deff helped. his prices don't change for his shop and building time and install. it's always high! lol

that is what he says. i tell him he is living in a dream world. lol actually he is the best. he must be cause he does jobs all the way down to florida and other states way away from us pretty often anymore. he is good. just really good. but oh boy do you wait! don't even ever ask about a timeline. my curios sat for 2 years almost. lol he isn't that bad with all his regular builders but don't ask if something will be ready cause you will wait then. lol

well i am beside myself. i pride myself on thinking ahead and planning for the future. i do with my own projects and others. people always laugh but it pays off eventually. so when i finished my basement i was so focused on the theatre build and not missing anything that i forgot to run speaker wire from my automation closet to the basement to go out to the pool house in the future. i ran the keypads one night and must have stopped and then forgot to run the speaker wire. fast forward to this past year. i said ok i can fix this. i have extra cat5 and cat6 and 2 rg6. i need 2 zones. east. use the 2 rg6 and make then into orca's into the basement. place amp down there and then run speaker wire out. bam all good! so did a dry run this weekend. all noise when i fire up my amp wit the speakers connected. like a lot of noise. like so much without music playing you can hear it across the room. so that's out. ok i got plenty of cat5 and cat 6. so i hooked up a balun to convert the cat5 or 6 to rca. to the amp and out. noise again! a lot worse! so now i'm thinking it's my runs in the walls. a nail, an electrical wire something. ok so now i'm ticked off. so i cut a 200' piece of cat 5 and cat 6 terminate them and hook the balun up to it and do a test run on the floor wit the amp and speaker and the head unit. noise!!!!!! what the. . . .!!! so it's not my wiring. it might be the balun. . . so i ordered a new one. but i'm not buying this. i am thinking the the head unit cannot carry a signal over 100 feet to the amp. that the noise increases as the rg6 length increases which makes sense but the cat5 6 has me so confused. it's the whole purpose of a balun. take audio and video over really long runs that regular speaker wire or video wire can't. i use them all the time for hdmi. i push the heck out of them for 4k HDR even. all i want is simple 1970's stereo over cat5. i mean u only need 4 wires even. not the 8! i am so mad. so so mad that i forgot to run the wire and i pretty much has messed myself up. if the balun i ordered does not work i have to literally install a separate system for outside that will not be integrated with the huge system throughout my home and outside already on the back porch. so i would have to trash my inside setup which is perfectly fine to integrate the new system i will use outside if i want it as one. i like the new system but the one i have now is rock rock solid. it was the standard for the industry for 15 years. the new system is to compete with sonos pretty much. wireless and wired with all apps and no keypads for the walls. i like my keypads. my wife likes them. i don't want to have to use an iPad before getting in the shower. i like going to my wall hitting power and setting what i want. it's easy and makes sense.

so as of now it' looks like i'm going new school outside with a broke up setup now. no way the wife is letting me sell off the house system for the new system.

jim

Ugh man! I know how easy going you are, this won’t bug you forever. Somehow that great inside system may need to start having issues soon.

But even then you don’t quite get what you want. I wish you the best making lemonade.

Ugh man! I know how easy going you are, this won’t bug you forever. Somehow that great inside system may need to start having issues soon.

But even then you don’t quite get what you want. I wish you the best making lemonade.

ya haven't slept in 2 nights cause thesis eating at me. oh on the bright side i haven't worried about my pool. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Jim :hug: you got this! It is not the end of the world. At least you know what to do to make it work. Most of us would not have a clue!

Kim:kim:

this just bothers me cause it's my fault. and it was a stupid mistake on my part. i had a full set of wire plans so i knew the exact paths i would take. i have every single thing labels and marked off. i still forgot.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a similar issue and it ended up being the ground on the amp. I went from a loud buzz to nothing at all. Might be worth a shot but I know your knowledge far exceeds mine in this area (and many others)...

ok so i'm totally on the same page as you but the outlets i'm using are dedicated runs only used for audio. no other non audio products are on the line with it. i have to call nuvo tomorrow but i really really think it's the main unit not being able to output enough voltage over the output to the amp input. and as the length of the run increased it gets amplified and amplified.

i have that other balun coming this week to try. after that I'm done and just have to add a new system out there. such a waste cause i have 5 empty zones on the expansion unit i added for the basement.

jim

i still have my hum issue. i'm waiting for my new balun to come in to try it. last night i did get the hum to decrease with adding a copper ground to the source and amp which i always felt was like snake oil but it did help so i really think my balun was just a piece of junk. so hopefully the new one will be better. i don't know.

so my framer said he is going to start end of next week beginning of following week most likely based on weather. my shingles should be in next week. my brick is waiting at the factory to be brought in. i also decided t ogive my self another headache by trying to do something different for the firebox of the fireplace. i'm sick of the plain ol tan firebrick so i was able to find a rumpled old world red kinda firebrick. it;s the same price as the tan ones. i did find these grey ones that would be awesome but they were 9 a piece vs 2. lol and i need 400 so that's just stupid. no other words for it pretty much. but this is the red. i like it. should be a nice change of pace from the typical tan inside of a fireplace.

jim

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr

it's a tad darker which is what i was hoping for. that is a piece of a piece from a sample i was able to get.

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
now the weather is just annoying. we can't get anything going here. i'm off all week. i had planned on wiring. now i just hope my buddy gets the walls up by the end of the week. lol

rain all week! we got 4 inches of snow yesterday. ya that melted by noon and now the rain. it's like a cruel joke.

jimi

Untitled by Jim, on Flickr

Ok sun is out for 24 hrs till more snow. Trying to make it happen. I hope we getting side sheeting on bycwnd of day. I’m skeptical though. Lol

im trying to catch errors since we didn’t have plans as we go. Had to make the overall fireplace area 5 inches smaller cause I forgot to take in account a sidewalk of brick that I didn’t count. So I should have had overall wall 15 foot 5 inches so that means I got to loose the 5 inches across the 2 wood collection area or firebox. My mason said im nuts cause it’s technically 2.5 inches each side. But I thought I messed up the wall framing opening for the firebox cause of it but I didn’t.

This is is what happens when the low volt guy does the archeticeutlal drawings. Lol

Walls are out of my head so far and only 1 mistake so far that we know of. The fireplace wall but again Louis said we r good. Very minor to him.

my joists and lvl’s were dropped off tonight. 5 lvl’s. I was figuring 3 so I don’t know where the other 2 go but again I’m not a farmer. Lol. I just the pretty pictures like he told me today and then he makes it a reality to an extent. Lol

i'm outside ur area. i'm up in NEPA.

but if I lived down by you the only choice I would need is monogram pool. tony is the owner. awesome guy! i just couldn't convince him to do the 2 hour drive each day for the summer. lol

I would start there.

jim

- - - Updated - - -

ok here is where we stand now. . . please no snow snow tomorrow! please no snow so we can sheet the walls.

IMG_9702 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_9698 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_9697 by Jim, on Flickr

no rain for 3 days now! say whaaaaaat. . . .

so we got some skin on the walls. LVL's are in which are also for decorative beams. Rob cut all the rafters for the hip roof and he started the ceiling joists cause he was on his own today.

moving along. . .

jim

IMG_9705 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_9706 by Jim, on Flickr

fireplace living space and kitchen

IMG_9707 by Jim, on Flickr

bathroom and storage. my wife wanted to know why that door was so much lower than the bathroom one. lol

i never realized now good of a framer he was until this job with having zero plans and just winging it pretty much. so many little things to make it just right, but that also has to do with when my buddy and his brother start the brick. they have a lot of lines to follow to make everything come out right.

it's going to be a long summer i think. lol

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.