12 days of Slam

A little plug for the good people of TFKits. I highly recommend this product.
That tail really adds brushing power, and cleaning power to the pool, without requiring back breaking effort on your part.

Only once have I had a sawmp, and that was when my pump broke and I was without for a week during high temps mid summer. All I can say is that this bruch head made sure that I didnt miss any small spots when I could not see the surface due to heavy green color.

That tail really adds brushing power, and cleaning power to the pool, without requiring back breaking effort on your part.

Only once have I had a sawmp, and that was when my pump broke and I was without for a week during high temps mid summer. All I can say is that this bruch head made sure that I didnt miss any small spots when I could not see the surface due to heavy green color.
+1

Hey Brenda, glad you upped the FC to match the CYA of 50. I looked at your logs again and they were 20 a week ago, then 40, and now 50. Have you been adding stabilizer, or a product with CYA (trichlor, pucks, etc)

My CYA testing has been all over the place! It's user error mostly! I was getting a reading of 20-30 over a week ago, but convinced myself it couldn't be and maybe it was 40 (the pool store test said it was 22) so based on that I added stabilizer a couple days ago and very clearly have a CYA of 50. (No trichlor, no pucks)

Ordering that right now!!!!!

Thank you!

Ordering that right now!!!!!

Thank you!

I hope that this helps you out with your outbreak. Actually I hope that you pool clears up before it arrives. But this brush is awsesome, and really helps me out. One note, you can adjust the angle of the tail to adjust the force it puts on the wall. I prefer max force, but my wife finds that too much for her, strains her back a bit. Good luck.

One last note, I take a hose and quickly rinse off my brush once done. Seems like dirt and algae gets stuck in the bristles. I have no idea if this algae stays alive or not before I next brush, but just to be safe I rinse it into the grass.

My CYA testing has been all over the place! It's user error mostly! I was getting a reading of 20-30 over a week ago, but convinced myself it couldn't be and maybe it was 40 (the pool store test said it was 22) so based on that I added stabilizer a couple days ago and very clearly have a CYA of 50. (No trichlor, no pucks)

I can't remember if anyone already mentioned it but if you want some practice with the cya test Tftestkits sells a standard solution that has a known amount to compare results to. It's fairly cheap and if you are already putting order for the brush combines shipping

I hope that this helps you out with your outbreak. Actually I hope that you pool clears up before it arrives. But this brush is awsesome, and really helps me out. One note, you can adjust the angle of the tail to adjust the force it puts on the wall. I prefer max force, but my wife finds that too much for her, strains her back a bit. Good luck.

One last note, I take a hose and quickly rinse off my brush once done. Seems like dirt and algae gets stuck in the bristles. I have no idea if this algae stays alive or not before I next brush, but just to be safe I rinse it into the grass.

Thanks Yev! I can't wait to get this and use it on my clean pool (That I will have before this arrives-hopefully!)

8:12.JPG 8:11.JPG Today on left. Yesterday on right. It looks dark due to the shadow of trees. Not a huge difference

blower 8:12.JPG But look! Can you juuuust make out a faint white circle in the middle there? It's a blower for the vacuum. This is the first time I've caught a glimpse of the bottom. I'm taking it as proof that what I'm doing is working!

I scrubbed the walls three times today and the chlorine level has been holding pretty steady all day.

Brenda

View attachment 157909 View attachment 157910 Today on left. Yesterday on right. It looks dark due to the shadow of trees. Not a huge difference

View attachment 157911 But look! Can you juuuust make out a faint white circle in the middle there? It's a blower for the vacuum. This is the first time I've caught a glimpse of the bottom. I'm taking it as proof that what I'm doing is working!

I scrubbed the walls three times today and the chlorine level has been holding pretty steady all day.

Brenda
Yeah!🎉🎉🎉 I see a difference on the stairs. Keep it up, scrub, scrub, scrub...you have to keep at it. keep going over those returns, skimmer, stairs etc. Good Job👍👍👍

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for not posting yesterday- too exhausted and my back was killing me from scrubbing so much!

8:12.JPG8:13 whole pool.JPG Wednesday on left Thursday (8/13 on right). The pool held chlorine at slam level all day on Thursday with just little splashes of chlorine all day.

So far today (Friday) it's not holding steady. But not dropping too badly.

Today if I hold my face just above the water level I can make out the pattern of the shallow end floor! It's exciting but I want to see this clear up faster! The leaves are starting to fall!!

Just tested my cc and for the first time it's at .5! That's got to be good news right?

8:13.JPG8:14.JPG AM views of the stairs without shadows. Yesterday on left (see the small white vacuum on bottom left?!), today on right. The pool isn't this bright green in real life! I would call it more blue-green.

Is there any way to speed this process up? My husband bought clarifier and I'm worried that he's going to sneak out at night and just dump it in at this point! haha! (clearly, we're getting impatient!)

No, it has to be pop...pool owner patience, but have you checked your filter? Is it dirty? I have a sand filter and add Fiber Clear to help filter better. I am not familiar with a cartridge filter, maybe one of the experts will pop in and be able to help. Keep doing what your doing. Don’t do the clarifier, it will mess up your filter.

you really getting there, this is the hardest part... The more you clean the filter and keep the chlorine at SLAM levels the better and faster it will go... that is why we say use POP, it did not get green overnight and it will not get back to clear overnight... please do not use clarifier, have you used it before? what is your normal filter pressure and what pressure do you clean it at?

Thanks Cowboycasey and Chrissykr!

We haven't used clarifier. (maybe years ago when we first opened the pool and didn't know anything-but that was many filters ago!)

Our filter pressure was going to 45 with our old filters and we were cleaning them every day!
Now with the new filters, the pressure stays between 12-20 all the time. I just cleaned them and they weren't too bad-some pine needles and gunk but it rinsed clear fast! The water in the bottom of the filter was crystal clear.
Scrubbed the sides and nozzles too(for the second time today)!

I have decided to "restart" my slam start date to Monday Aug. 10 when I found all that brown algae inside my nozzles. Today is day 5 and I have seen some clearing since then!

Brenda

Thanks Cowboycasey and Chrissykr!

We haven't used clarifier. (maybe years ago when we first opened the pool and didn't know anything-but that was many filters ago!)

Our filter pressure was going to 45 with our old filters and we were cleaning them every day!
Now with the new filters, the pressure stays between 12-20 all the time. I just cleaned them and they weren't too bad-some pine needles and gunk but it rinsed clear fast! The water in the bottom of the filter was crystal clear.
Scrubbed the sides and nozzles too(for the second time today)!

I have decided to "restart" my slam start date to Monday Aug. 10 when I found all that brown algae inside my nozzles. Today is day 5 and I have seen some clearing since then!

Brenda

Have you done anything with the filters beyond rinsing them down with water?

In case you haven't seen this post it has a a lot of good info on cleaning cartridge filters

Reactions: Yev
Okay, I saw in another thread you can use some cellulose in a cartridge filter. I am going to tag @joyfullnoise he can advise if this is something to help with filtering some of this stuff out faster.

I just wanted to give a little moral support. I know how much your arms hurt and you feel like it will never end. Stay the course...when you come out on the other side you will know exactly what your pool needs and where it needs extra attention. Plus, once you see that TFP sparkle you will fall in love with your pool.

Have you done anything with the filters beyond rinsing them down with water?

In case you haven't seen this post it has a a lot of good info on cleaning cartridge filters

Thanks for the info! I have a filter cleaner spray that I've been using on the old filters. The new filters are coming clean with just water at the moment. I haven't tried soaking them overnight yet. I didn't want to turn the filter off for that long! We are currently switching between the old and new set and cleaning/drying the filters in between.

Brenda

Okay, I saw in another thread you can use some cellulose in a cartridge filter. I am going to tag @joyfullnoise he can advise if this is something to help with filtering some of this stuff out faster.

I just wanted to give a little moral support. I know how much your arms hurt and you feel like it will never end. Stay the course...when you come out on the other side you will know exactly what your pool needs and where it needs extra attention. Plus, once you see that TFP sparkle you will fall in love with your pool.

Thanks Chrissykr for the moral support- I need it! I was just thinking that I really don't feel like going out there again right now to work on the pool.....but I'm going!

Reactions: Chrissykr
Hi Brenda, I see that your pool's Phosphate level is above 1000, that's a lot of food for the algae. I know when proper FC is maintained algae will be killed quickly so phosphate level usually doesn't matter, but in your case I'd give phosphate remover a shot since algae has already taken a foothold. A couple of weeks before I found TFP, my pool had an algae outbreak. I shocked the pool with granular and changed the filter, but the algae was still growing. My pool service guy put in phosphate remover and it changed the water from green to blue overnight and cleared up within 2 days. But due to my high CYA and dependency on pucks, a couple of weeks later algae came back. This time I found TFP, did a partial water exchange and SLAM it, and has been maintaining clear water since using only LC and MA.

What I'm trying to say is that TFP works, based on science and so many success stories. But since you've been fighting this algae problem for a long time, it doesn't hurt to try phosphate remover, which takes 1-2 days to finish. You'll need to keep the pump running, and it'll create a slimy yellow layer on the cartridge, which will catch phosphate and maybe dead algae. There's more information about phosphate remover in the Pool School and the forum. I've also used clarifier in my pre-TFP days, but I didn't see much effect in dealing algae.

I'm not an expert at all, just want to give you support and share some experience from recent past.

I have 2 sets of cartridges, I usually put a cleaning solution on the cartridges and leave it overnight. I have a drum that fits 4 perfectly, then I rinse them the following morning and everything comes off. But the reason I have 2 sets, is so that I can just switch to the other set and not have to wait to keep running the filter while they sit in the solution overnight. Then I rinse and let them sit for a few hours while they dry up then I'll switch. You can't just rinse the cartridges with water if you have algae or metals, ect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.