12 days of Slam

Yours is the toughest to follow through to conclusion. Long periods of adding FC, brushing and cleaning the filter with little/no visible improvement. Good job sticking it out and getting past the turning point.

Good Evening,

Sorry about not updating for days! Being back to work is hard!
My pool has stalled!!!!! It's still clear blue in the shallow end and I can juuuuust make out the drain at the bottom of the deep end but it's been like this for 4 days now! I was sure I had turned the corner and it would be clear by now!

This might be the last weekend to enjoy the pool. The weather is going to be high 70s-80s for the long weekend. It's been chilly for the past week and a half! The air has changed and the fall weather is coming fast! We'll try to keep the pool open through the end of September, hoping for a bit more summer weather.

My daughter has been doing a great job of keeping the chlorine levels up during the day. After work I'm scrubbing the pool and the returns and driving to the pool store for more chlorine.... The filter is running fine, I've done 5 doses of FiberClear. I am changing out the filters every couple of days (when I can muster the energy). I just don't know what's causing this to take so long.

Two questions:

Is there any way to clear the pool quickly so we can have one last (and first!) swim by this weekend?

Is it ok to swim in the cloudy water if I can't get it to clear?

Brenda

In general, if you can see the bottom, you can swim. The real risks are two fold. Could you see someone if they were struggling to survive/drown? Can you see any debris in the water, as you would not want to be swimming and run into lets just say a bicycle that blew into the pool.

The only other rule is you want your FC to be at or below SLAM level for you CYA, not above at all. I seem to recall that at one point you were going a bit higher than SLAM level.

People swim in dirty water all the time, oceans, lakes, ponds. There are obvious risks with germs, etc in green water, and a green or dirty pool is no better.

If possible dont give up, because the winter will not make your problems go away. The rule of thumb is put away a dirty pool, open to a swamp. Put away a clear pool, open to a clean-ish pool.

Great news!

I can clearly see the bottom of the deep end as of yesterday evening! This morning it's even clearer! It looks amazing! The shallow end is crystal clear. It's still a little cloudy in the deep end. I am going to change out the filters today and add what I hope will be the last dose of fiberclear.

We will be swimming this weekend!!!!!!
I'm so happy!

Thanks everyone for sticking with me during this long process! Pics of my crystal clear pool coming soon!

Brenda

Hi,

We were able to swim this weekend!!!! The pool is crystal clear and passed the OCLT on Friday! We spent as much time swimming this weekend as we could- but the water is cold!9:7.JPG
9:7 pool.JPG The view from the deep end!

Remember where I started all the way back in July?Day3.JPG(Day 3)

The pool hadn't been opened in two years and it wasn't covered. (Our new cover will be installed in two weeks!) I would try to get it opened but it was just too daunting a task. This year I was working from home since March due to Covid- I had the time in my day to test and dose frequently.
I started scooping the debris from the pool in April- 20 minutes a day. We turned on the filter in June and discovered that our pump wasn't working, so we ordered one. It arrived by the end of the month and we installed in around the first of July and we started the SLAM! I was so excited!
We were keeping the chlorine level up at slam level as much as possible. We were testing every hour or two.
Everything seemed to be improving until about two weeks in when the process stalled.
Day 17 today.JPGJuly 17
I was brushing every day and we were cleaning the filters daily. It was exhausting.
We were still going at the end of July, but had added in a new set of filters so we could switch out dirty filters with the cleaned ones every day.
8:7.JPGAugust 7 still going!
I adjusted the CYA around this time- It was low (below 20). It raised to 60.
On July 10, I finally removed all my returns and scrubbed them. I did the skimmer too. The returns had brown slime behind them. I cleaned them daily after this.
8:10.JPG August 11. Some improvement!

On August 12 Chrissykr recommended adding FiberClear to my filters. I was able to get my hands on some on Aug. 17 and added the first dose that night.
8:18 pool.JPGAug. 18. Gaining clarity.
8:23.JPG8/23 We were gaining clarity! At this point I had to return back to work and my daughter kept up the testing and dosing throughout the day. But we weren't cleaning the filters daily anymore. Every 2- 3 days we would change them out an add another batch of Fiber clear.
We continued to gain clarity every day until finally this week I could see the bottom of the deep end! Every day it got clearer and clearer. By Thursday Sept. 3, there was just a little cloudiness over the deep end but it was clear the next morning. It passed the OCLT test overnight Friday. (But we did swim on Thursday and Friday!)

It was a long haul to open the pool this year-but it was worth it just to have a head start on it for next summer! I wish we could have been swimming all of August, but oh well... that's just the way it went this year.

Things that might have sped this process up?
The CYA level seemed to be all over the place. I attribute this to user error. I just had the hardest time reading and interpreting the test. I think I may have been slamming at the wrong level for a while!

Adding the FiberClear cellulose was really when the pool started clearing! I think that combined with knowing my CYA was at 60 and testing/dosing correctly really is what cleared this up. Maybe if I had started this a month earlier is would have cleared up in less time? Maybe not?

I will never overwinter a dirty pool again!

This process does work but I don't recommend letting your pool become a swamp because it will be a lot of work to turn it into a sparkling oasis!

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions and encouragement!

Brenda
(* next summer instead of spending all my $$ on chlorine, I'm going to get the pool heater fixed!)

Attachments

• Day7.JPG
    Day7.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 14
Congrats. Stinks that it has come so late in the season for you, but Im sure that it felt good to swim in a clear pool.

Since the pool was neglected for a while, one more thing that you might want to do is check the liner of the pool near the surface. Look for any signs of dry rot or cracking, as this will give you advance warning of any liner failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.