12 days of Slam

Hi JJ Tex,

The dark shadows are probably just the light. There isn't anything that I can tell down there. I brush, and scoop the bottom daily as well as vacuum and I'm only getting a couple leaves and pine needles. The top step there has staining on it, but it's clean.

The water is just dark, I can only see down about a foot. I'll take another pic tomorrow under full sun, but I hope it's a bit clearer tomorrow.

I will continue to scoop/vacuum/brush daily in case I'm missing something down there!

Brenda

You have to keep cleaning and adding chlorine (Slam). My pool was in worse condition than yours with a CC of 6.8. I put my automatic pool cleaner in and took it out every 30 minutes. I also had a second set of cartridges and in 1 1/2 weeks. I had less than 0.5 CC. I opened the pool on June 1st and we have been swimming since June 11. I haven't had to SLAM since and my CC is now 0 and the pool has been clear. Try and get either a 55 gallon metal or plastic drum/barrel and put your cartridges in overnight in cleaning solution (I use something a bottle called Kleen It) this is why a second set of cartridges is useful so that you can keep the filter going with minimal down time while trying to clear the pool. I cleaned the cartridges once a day for that week and a half.

Reactions: Yev
My last SLAM did not pick up speed until I got ALL DEBRIS off of the pool floor. I ended up buying a KreepyKrauly pool vacuum and ran it everyday as part of my SLAM. It really did the trick and I turned the corner shortly after that.

Thanks everyone,

We have ordered a second set of filter cartridges so that should help. I'll look into a robot vacuum too!
I think that we're maybe turning the corner (I hope!), I could just about make out the bottom step and the filter isn't filling up as fast anymore.
The filter used to be done after 2 hours- today it went over 5 hours before needing to be cleaned!

I'll update tomorrow!

Goodnight!

Reactions: bmoreswim
You have hit the nail on the head, this is more about filtering... What size filter do you have? sounds like it is way to small for your pool 300 sq ft or 400? I have 300 and my pool is 15000 gallon, you should probably have a 400 or 500... :)

Hi,

Still not a huge difference in the clarity of my water.....I can still just barely make out the bottom step. The FC levels drop 2-3 points overnight and 1-2 points every hour- 1 1/2 hours while the sun is beating down on the pool. I'm going through 1-2 gallons (12.5%) shock a day still (day 23). I would describe the water as a cloudy light green.
Seriously considering going over to the dark side and adding clarifier. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that this plan worked so beautifully the last time I turned over a swamp pool!

Pool.JPGThe view from my window today. I so want to look out and see sparky blue!! Hopefully soon!

Brenda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you go to the "dark side" with using clarifier you might as welll budget in some new filters too, cause that stuff will mess them up good.

Chlorine...often....how often are you testing and re-dosing?? At least 4x a day??

Maddie 🌻

How long has it been since you tested your CYA. I see 40 on your logs, and lots of FC in the 13-16 range. Double check your CYA and make sure it is not higher, and of course the more you keep at at 16 (or whatever your slam level should be) the better.

How long has it been since you tested your CYA. I see 40 on your logs, and lots of FC in the 13-16 range. Double check your CYA and make sure it is not higher, and of course the more you keep at at 16 (or whatever your slam level should be) the better.
We did pursue that line of thinking. She re-verified it about a week ago and it may even be 30 or less.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Hi,

Still not a huge difference in the clarity of my water.....I can still just barely make out the bottom step. The FC levels drop 2-3 points overnight and 1-2 points every hour- 1 1/2 hours while the sun is beating down on the pool. I'm going through 1-2 gallons (12.5%) shock a day still (day 23). I would describe the water as a cloudy light green.
Seriously considering going over to the dark side and adding clarifier. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that this plan worked so beautifully the last time I turned over a swamp pool!

View attachment 156223The view from my window today. I so want to look out and see sparky blue!! Hopefully soon!

Brenda
What type of shock are you using?

Hi,

View attachment 156223The view from my window today. I so want to look out and see sparky blue!! Hopefully soon!

Brenda

How do your filters look? I was taking out my filters daily, and just swapping them with clean ones. Just must still have debree that you can't see on the deep end.

Hi,

It's been a busy week and there wasn't much difference in the pool so I haven't been updating.
We finally got our new filter cartridges in yesterday (so clean and shiny!). We changed them out yesterday afternoon thinking THIS has to make a difference. So far, nothing. I'm getting really impatient and frustrated and about ready to go buy clarifier- we just want to swim before we have to close the pool! (Talk me out of it!)
We're finishing up our 4th week of SLAM. I test every 1-3 hours and consistently have to add chlorine every time ( a few cups) while the sun is out. It holds slam level when the sun isn't directly on the pool and does OK over night, only losing 1-2 ppm.

CC was 1 yesterday. The filter has been running 24/7 for 27 days $$$$$!

Will this pool ever clear up? (I know it will eventually) Is it normal for SLAM to take this long?

Brenda

Hi,

I just logged all my FC for this past week. My CC was at 1 yesterday and I tested CYA at 20 yesterday- but why would it have gone from 40 to 20? I have been doing SLAM for a CYA of 40 all week. Should I lower my chlorine level? I don't see how it would help to lower it, when it's still not clearing. I'm going to recheck the CYA now (and double check for "user error" :hammer:).
Also going to check the ingredients in my shock.

Brenda

OMG! All the data I just loaded about FC is wrong- I recorded the number of drops vs the actual FC levels (since 8/3). My daughter was testing all week while I was back to work and I left her a chart with drops=chlorine add. Sorry about that!

and... I just retested CYA and I think it's 40. The quick glance method doesn't reach the 30 mark so we go with 40!

and... was trying to scoop the bottom of the deep end when I watched half of the extendable pole sink down to the depths!

AARGH!

I think I need to get more zen about this pool!

The shock that I'm using is "Mega Super Shock" 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and 87.5% Other ingredients ( It doesn't list the "other ingredients")

Brenda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.