New season questions!!

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
Hello All,

So, as a reminder, I'm maintaining this pool on my own as my hubby is incapacitated at the moment. I switched to TFP system & love it-had few problems last year. Fast forward until this year-last year the pool was finally just shabbily put up on my former AG's sand base after it sat dormant/fell apart for several years. The deluge of rain last year wreaked havoc with getting this intext up so we finally decided to put it up with plans to take it back down to fix the base. Anyway, my adult son who was planning to help me take it down this spring got a new job, etc., etc. while my other son has a newborn baby so I either need to open it as is of have a nasty pool of water all summer. I know it's not completely their fault, but had I known this, I would have covered it over the winter & winterized it more carefully. It doesn't look that bad considering & I've got most of the leaves/debris out, but I have two questions.

One: I did a preliminary, out of curiosity test today for 3 things-chlorine was 0, PH was off the little chart thingy-measured both of those in the red/yellow thing. Did a CYA test & result was low, although not 0. According to directions, too low to read. So, should I fill until I can run pump & then start slamming/testing or fill all the way up before I run pump, SLAM/test?

Two: Does anyone have experience with either the Hayward 900 or Intex automatic vacuum? I did purchase an Intex sand pump which works brilliantly!

OK, a third question: Can you give me an idea of how much bleach in terms of high chlorine count pool store liquid shock stuff that I will need to bring the water back to good levels? Also, could I use a puck or two to bring that CYA back up quickly? I have a friend who won't hear of this method so I could get a couple of pucks from her for free. I know an exact amount can't be given, but $$ is tight so I need to budget what I might need before I purchase a vacuum.

Thank you all & sorry so long!!!!

Fill it, test PH and adjust to 7.2, raise CYA to 30 (pucks are fine) and start SLAM. Brush daily and keep scooping out any debris. How much bleach? If you test and add more every few hours, brush often and scoop everything out it will be a lot less. Maybe 10-15 jugs. If not, then it will be a lot more, 20-30 or more. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.