COMPLETED: DIY Travertine Pool / Patio / Waterfall Remodel in AZ

Just got a notice from photobucket to renew my free membership. So, pictures are back up for this thread but it is not clear how long that lasts. My impression is that my relatively small number of pictures at photobucket is free (shows about 30% capacity) but if I need more would have to upgrade to a paid plan.

I realized I never did post the picture of the waterfalls going...here is one. With the variable pool pump and wireless controller, I have 3 different flows available for the waterfall. The full blast one is fun for kids to swim and play with but not for sitting out with a little background "trinkle" nose. This picture shows the lowest flow at the time but I have since added one that is even lower. We actually use the waterfall a LOT now...so easy to control with the automated valves and remote as compared to going behind the pool pump wall and manually switching the valve.

Also the original waterfall had a pool of water "behind" it which collected algae quickly when not run for a few days...a big detriment to EVER using it since the waterfall would be "green" for a few seconds when turned on. The design we implemented here does not have that issue, an issue that should not have existed when the pool was built.

Thanks ctrav and KhoaTon.

So I added a new water feature to the pool area...

Actually I am finally using for the first time the "backwash/drain into the grass feature" that I added about 3 years ago. From this post in this thread: COMPLETED: DIY Travertine Pool and Patio Remodel in AZ

Despite my best intentions and religious remodel of my pool, I haven't used the TFP method for chemical maintenance. That will change now that we are using our pool much more as our grandkids love it. But, after not draining and refilling my pool in the last two falls as I had planned...I'm embarassed to say my calcium levels and cyanuric acid levels are much too high so I am biting the bullet now since we have 3 more months of swimming.

Since I can only drain a limited amount into the lawn (see the following picture), after a couple times of deep watering the lawn, I will probably unplug my backyard's drains and really bring down the calcium and CYA in the pool to "code". The drains are not seen in the picture, but they allow water to flow from the backyard out into the front yard/street.

The TFP method will take care of the CYA but I will still probably need regular (TBD) partial drain/refills just to deal with the hard water and constant evaporation (calcium buildup) we have here in the Valley of the Sun. Before the remodel, I had a sand filter, and the backwashes did seem to manage the pool's calcium buildup pretty well.

Very unique way to drain/backwash!

"The TFP method will take care of the CYA"
"
Despite my best intentions and religious remodel of my pool, I haven't used the TFP method for chemical maintenance."

TFPC will fix all but you have to commit to the "entire" process... Im looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Hi! Love the pool remodel. Thank you for sharing your journey. Very interesting to follow. Would like to know what color travertine did you use and where did you find it. And is it slippery? Thank you. Hope you see this and can respond! 4/24/19

I bought NOCE travertine pavers from the Art of Tuscany in Mesa because they were convenient and cheap (look on Craigslist, there are others that are comparable). But my travertine IS slippery when wet and others here on TFP have said that tumbled is the way to go to combat that issue (I would buy a few and test them); tumbled is more expensive but probably worth it if it solves that issue

I bought two batches, the 2nd (small batch) was much inferior to the first with many discards. I would inspect your supplier’s stock to insure it is the quality you expect for your install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought NOCE travertine pavers from the Art of Tuscany in Mesa because they were convenient and cheap (look on Craigslist, there are others that are comparable). But my travertine IS slippery when wet and others here on TFP have said that tumbled is the way to go to combat that issue (I would buy a few and test them); tumbled is more expensive but probably worth it if it solves that issue

I bought two batches, the 2nd (small batch) was much inferior to the first with many discards. I would inspect your supplier’s stock to insure it is the quality you expect for your install.
Thank you Thank you! You have no idea how helpful this information is. We are getting ready to remodel. I love the color and look of your travertine. It is truly beautiful and your workmanship is amazing! We will look at Art of Tuscany tomorrow. Not sure how to inspect the stock. Will for sure check into the tumbled. I have heard that there are products out there that can be applied to help reduce slip on the surface. I wonder if anyone here on this thread has heard of or tried those products. Or if they are just too much trouble. Thank you again. So very helpful. Hope you have a great summer!

Art of Tuscany will let you go out into their yard and look/wander...check it carefully because I was very disappointed with my 2nd buy. Buy a few 12” pieces and take home to test, feel. Tuscany didn’t have the tumbled when I bought. There are a couple of other sellers along the riverbed as well..N. Tempe or south Scottsdale, not sure which.

Search on the forums for slippery travertine, I don’t think people who have done the applications think it worked very well.

Art of Tuscany will let you go out into their yard and look/wander...check it carefully because I was very disappointed with my 2nd buy. Buy a few 12” pieces and take home to test, feel. Tuscany didn’t have the tumbled when I bought. There are a couple of other sellers along the riverbed as well..N. Tempe or south Scottsdale, not sure which.

Search on the forums for slippery travertine, I don’t think people who have done the applications think it worked very well.
Thank you again. All you have said is very helpful-for me and probably for many others. We will do just as you suggest. We will look around and test some pieces. We have a lot of square footage and want to get it right!

Hey Steve, thanks...I’ve made quite a few additions since this original post and want to update at some point but haven’t gotten around to it. And, my initial ONE regret with this effort has risen to TWO: I wish I had installed a “channel main drain” with the plaster redo (a better option for my In-Floor-Cleaning-System)...a $450 option that I turned down at the time.

I also wish I had a channel drain. Only have to have one. Channel drains appear to be more commercial. Wasn't aware of them when I built. Some don't like drains. I must have one. There are so many leaves her that the skimmer will get stopped up with leaves and cavitate the pump. I only put on 100% skimmer when the pool is supervised: for a quick clean up of the surface. Otherwise it's 10% skimmer and 90% bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.