6 billion neighborhood children

Aug 8, 2011
I happen to live in a neighborhood with tons of kiddos. My son is 9. Most of the kids are around that age. The pool is about a week from being open and half the kids next door have already asked if they can swim, haha.

I wondering if there is anything I need to do to protect myself in case of anything bad going down. I know the neighbors down the street had us sign a waiver to use the trampoline. Does something like that exist or is it common for above ground pools? There's literally 20 something kids running around here, a small cul de sac, and I can see all of them in the backyard ready to swim in the pool when the time comes.

I don't wanna be the grumpy old man that doesn't let the kiddos use the pool, but I also don't wanna have anyone getting hurt on a daily basis (we're talking 7 - 12 year old boys and girls, madness abound!).

What are your thoughts on this situation? We have excellent home insurance to cover an lawsuits. Should i post "Rules" up on the deck? Should I write them down and pass them out to all the parents of the kids?

Thanks for any opinions!

Talk to your homeowner's insurance agent and make sure you are properly covered in case of a tragedy. You probably already are. Also make sure you cover the pragmatic ground rules for swimming and that everyone understands them and follows them. If it were my place, I probably wouldnt let anyone not in my family (or children of any relation) swim unsupervised. Other than that, dont worry about it and have fun.

one friend of mine decided in a similar situation to tell neighboring children they could certainly swim as long as one of their own parents remained present. I liked the idea and it kept people (kids) from bothering them too much.

one friend of mine decided in a similar situation to tell neighboring children they could certainly swim as long as one of their own parents remained present. I liked the idea and it kept people (kids) from bothering them too much.
This is what I do a well. You're welcome to come swim as long as one of your parents is here with you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is what I do a well. You're welcome to come swim as long as one of your parents is here with you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+1

They are not your kids and you are not nor should not be responsible for them. However, if something bad does go down on your property, you will be held liable as the only adult present.

Since we have no idea where you are we can't give any opinion on the validity of a release. That totally depends on state law. And there would be a consideration problem. I have my doubts as to the validity of the trampoline release but again it depends on state law and it has the same consideration problem. But getting them to sign releases will get rid of most of the claims. Releases with children pose other problems.

What you should do:

1. Have your homeowners insurance paid up.

2. Get an umbrella policy of at least another million. That's what I have. Its dirt cheap. They won't often recommenced it because its so cheap the agent gets upset filling out the forms. Mine didn't want to sell it to me.

3. Keep your pool in good shape chemically. Don't let people swim unless its clear, no visible organics, you can see the bottom,your cl CYA ratio is within range and your ph is between 7.2 and 7.8.

3a. Keep your pool in good shape mechanically. Is it bonded? Piece of metal coping on the far side almost rusted through? Is the pool fenced? With locks more than 54 inches high? Do the gates open away from the pool? Do you look the gates to prevent the neighborhood gang from swimming in the pool. My neighbors house was empty for two years with unlocked gates to the pool.

4. Take a CPR class.

5. Have a leaf rake or long pole.

6. When you have a large group of kids have a designated lifeguard. They don't need training, just need to watch the pool and make sure there are no struggling kids and the party does not get out of hand. Go one step farther and take the Boy Scouts "Safe Swim" online training. They have reduced accidents to almost zero with that training. It requires no life guard skills and you don't have to implement the program to benefit from it.

7. I don't let kids swim in my pool unless I have talked to their parents. Haley who spent the night last night can't really swim but loves the pool: that meant i was sitting on the couch by the pool last night at 11pm on TFP while the girls swam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.