Does American Home Shield (AHS) cover pool equipment?

Have had only postive experience with AHS, but this was some years ago and under a seller-paid 1 year warranty. My guess is that the level of service depends on the local repair company and even the particular technician sent to service the calls. My HVAC problem (2nd stage heat pump motor was beginning to fail), the tech explained, wasn't covered under the warranty. He replaced it anyway and wrote on the invoice that it was kaput. So, nice guy, good service, customer happy.

However, looking at the renewal notice I judged the annual contract too limited and expensive for likely repairs and discontinued it. Not sorry about that decision either.

AHS came with our house when we purchased in 1986 (house built in 74). I picked up the rider for the spa and pool. We have had mostly positive experiences with the services (many of them over the years) and most of the service techs have been more than adequate.

I noticed that another person with positive experience is in Houston TX area; I am in Dallas TX area. Wonder if that is coincidence or ?????. The service techs occasionally come from many miles away in the DFW area but lately most come from service places close to our area. Over the years I have been impressed with a few service techs that I've used them for non covered work.

The list of jobs is too long to list (and it has been 23 years this month). But we've had numerous water heaters (our water degrades them fast), two AC condensers (upstairs last year and downstairs three years ago) replaced (the downstairs condenser was replaced once before too), just had a dishwasher replaced this year and my Kenmore front load washer repaired. That one took four service calls as there were two things malfunctioning but made it unusable. Same guy did dishwasher and clothes washer. He failed to put the sound insulation pack on the dishwasher as we had taken it off because the puppies were beginning to eat it when it was sitting in the kitchen. I insisted he redo the install. He complained, and moaned, and was in a foul mood the whole time. That kind of "attitude" is pretty scary especially when coming from a huge stranger in my home. We will request he not come out here again.

Also had a service call this year, different service co. to clear out the clogged drain for clothes washer. I had been snaking it but my snake wouldn't make the turn in pipe. Tech said, "Yikes" and explained to me that my snake was for larger pipes and not to use it in 2" pipes again as I could do some damage. I've frequently gotten good advice from service techs.

For the dishwasher I was told to pick out what I wanted in a price range and then call to see if that was on their large list of replacements. If I wanted to upgrade I would pay the difference. The allowance was close to $600. We upgraded and paid an extra $150.

I'm pretty handy AND I always do my research before techs get here. I usually know exactly what is wrong before they get here.

I would say we have probably broken even over the years but I have not had to do any footwork to find service techs and if it is not done properly AHS has them come back until it is right or they will send another tech from a different company. Within a certain time period all service calls for each item are covered by the one $60 co-pay. The co-pay has risen from, I think, $45 to $60 (just this year) over the 23 year period.

One major complaint I have it that our over 30 yr old AC condenser, for the upstairs, EXTREMELY LOW SEER was repaired over and over and over again; about once every two years. Finally, last year, a tech said I'm going to report this as unfixable, even though it probably could have been "fixed". Yea :party: Other techs had said yes you really should get a new one but this old model was made to be fixed, and fixed, and fixed and as long as it can be fixed that's what AHS wants done. Last years tech (and all the others) agreed that in a way that was good considering how now days many things are made to be thrown away instead of being repaired, but this particular condenser was costing me way too much money to run. My hero. :-D

A good friend of mine has had AHS for 20 years with pool rider. Several years ago she and I discovered that there is a "wrong" way to describe a pool problem if you want your DE grids replaced. She had it happen once. For the life of me I can't remember the "right" way to described the problem to AHS. She's had two dishwashers replaced, a double door fridge, ceramic stove top, built in microwave, and a double oven just last year and numerous other issues. She usually upgrades a little for each appliance. They had do do some cabinet work for the ovens that she had to pay for but that is clearly spelled out in the contract. AND numerous pool calls. She and her husband are both disabled and she, also, does her research before the AHS techs come. She is overall pleased too. AND has had more issues and problems with service techs that are not sent out by AHS.

BTW.... My favorite PB, (I rarely use any pool services) at one time did some AHS work but not for long. He told me this years ago; it seems AHS wasn't willing to pay him what he considered fair pay for the work. I'll have to say he does excellent work, never tried to sell me anything, is reliable, and even saved me a bunch of money by jacking up and securing my pumping station pad that had cracked, with bottom half sliding down the hill. He just put in my new Polaris pump a couple of months ago and told me I didn't need one part as that was still good. His cost, including labor, was much less than I figured it would be doing my research on line. I called him as I "thought" AHS didn't do booster pumps.

We had a pool leak. I think I got four service calls, two different companies, on one co-pay. One tech even spent quite a bit of time having me do water level experiments to try to isolate the problem. As November was ending I just decided to let it be. It stopped losing water about three inches above the bottom of the light. Bingo... but I fixed it after a friend of a friend, retired PB, said it probably was leak where the light cord went through the wall. Now, why didn't any of the others think of that? :whip: I was told the same, as posted here, that if it isn't above ground or very accessible, leaks aren't covered. Many years ago we did have a leak that was not at the pumping station or coming from the actual pool. AHS did send out someone to check it out. Although I had tested everywhere in the pool with red food coloring, he rechecked it. Although it did cost me the co-pay without resolution, tech did recommend another guy who finally found the leak using sounding equipment. It was under the concrete deck so we had to pay but considered the reliable recommendation and good work worth cost of the co-pay. I could have been happier with his patch of the Kool-Deck though.

So, I have been overall pleased with our AHS coverage. geekgranny=alice

If you desire the higher energy efficient pool motors, pumps, air conditioners, heaters, etc, etc. AHS is NOT for you. They only replace with the cheapest they can find.

And yes, a Realtor friend told me she gets a kickback from recommending home sellers buy a home warranty.

Think about it: if AHS actually repaired ALL stuff that broke and used the best contractors and name brand parts to do it all, and then added in some profit and then charged you your share of the premium, it would be a LOT. It is just cost/risk shifting. No one is getting anything for nothing.

Personally (standing on soapbox now), I think it is inefficient businesses like these that suck money out of the US economy. Why add more middle men? Why not just pay the quality and trusted HVAC guy to fix your air conditioning without getting AHS involved? Why should they get a cut of the money?

OK....now I sound like the contractors...but I am not....just homeowner.

I guess the answer lies in typical homeowners struggle to find reputable contractors for stuff that requires servicing infrequently.

learthur said:
I guess the answer lies in typical homeowners struggle to find reputable contractors for stuff that requires servicing infrequently.

That is really how I was able to be comfortable in cancelling the contract that came with my house... I've been in the area (17 miles away) for 20 years and most of my service people work this area as well. I have a good plumber, a good AC/heat guy, a decent electrician, an OK carpenter (still don't know an appliance guy that is not a crook but God bless the internet for showing us how to do some of it ourselves)

I had AHS in the past and found their decision to repair arbitrary at best. Having said that they are still better than most.

however, I do use 2-10 Home warranty and can't imagine being without them. We have 30+ residential properties and simply could not afford not to have a home warranty especially for HVAC, plumbing, electrical and appliances. We tried a number of different companies - most of which make AHS seem golden until we came across 2-10. I have never had a problem with any claim on from 2-10. They've replaced more than one HVAC system in our properties and more than a few garage doors (how hard is it to look behind you when you put your car in reverse).

I also have 2-10 on my home and my brother does as well and we both have the pool/spa option. Over the years they've replaced and or repaired a multitude of items. In fact, they just replaced my FNS 60 DE filter this week which is an exact replacement for what we had. My pool repair guy told me my heater needs some work but the DE filter exhausted my annual "allowance" of $1,000. so I'll wait until November when I renew my policy to get the heater work done. More than pays for itself.

Hope this helps.

Had a couple of HO warranty questions -

1) with all this rain, it seems that there is a small leak in my garage roof (separate building, might be an older roof than the house - 15-20 years?). Any issues I should be aware of before I call warranty service?

2) If I decide to renew next year, can I / should I get pool coverage also? I currently have house covered only (seller paid for that only and I renewed once). I have an old pool with an old liner, new filter and rebuilt pump that are both in good shape.

I had the dryer repaired recently under warranty. The guy replaced the thermostat and told me that I should get a cleaning service here to clean out the vent for $100. He said that the lint in the vent caused the problem. For a few dollars, I bought a new vent kit and will replace that tomorrow. It's about 3' of venting. I thought it was a bit strange that he didn't do it, but oh, well....

I have had good and bad experiences with AHS. A lot will depend on the contractor that gets the call. They do have some marginal outfits on their list and if you get the weakest service person from the weakest service firm you are going to be unhappy. I did an internet search on the company that was assigned to my last repair and found nothing but scathing reviews. I forwarded these to AHS by email and they assigned another company very promptly, thanked me, and said they were going to look into the other company before assigning them any more work. I guess they were serious. They will repair rather than replace even in extreme circumstances. My oven was so old that they don't even make parts for it anymore but they insisted on pulling out the old part and sending it out to be rebuilt rather than replace the oven. I just bought a new oven on my own. Even if they had replaced it they would have put in a $350 oven. OK. It does work but ...

I decided not to pay the additional for pool coverage because I had a new main pump and a new Polaris pump and the coverage was a little pricey considering that the equipment is not terribly expensive to repair or replace even in the worst case. YMMV

Cancelled AHS.. 3 service calls - not satisified.

1- water heater leaking.. Tech came and gave me all kind of additional cost to get up to todays code. It would cost me over $1500 to replace a water heater. i had home depot do it cost about the same but i upgrade to a larger capacity one. AHS reinburst me $200 for the cost of the heater.

2.- Garage door opener broke. It clearly needs to be replace because some of the parts were broken. they took it away for 2 weeks repaired it then right after the 30days service warrenty expired the opener broke down again. they will not come back without another $55 charge. So I just replaced it myself.

3. - oven gas leak. they cannot get the leak repaired. i have to shut down the valve under the oven when ever I dont use it. The older tech cannot get his hand into the area to fix it and still smell gas after he left. I had to get new flex pipe and valve and replaced it with new teflo tape. fixed it myself.

so after 3 time I have to fix stuff myself. I say no to paying them $55 a month.

The tech aways tell us. AHS will spend more money to repair your old equipment than to replace it with a new one.
The idea may be good if you are not handy, there is a single point of contact to call if you have problems.. but I find that I fix a lot of stuff myself so they are not worth it.

As a tech who has gone on these service calls, I can see their point too. Repair is usually cheaper. I, as a tech will not swap a pump for a leaky seal/worn impeller. Homeowners sqawk but I let them know that AHS is my customer in this situation.

I have had calls where the homeowner didn't winterize his pool and the filter was broken due to ice damage. This was a case of neglect, not normal wear and tear. Claim denied.

Another customer call was due to a customer clogging his cartridge, he cracked the housing. Claim denied.

I have had calls where the equipment was so old, parts were no longer available. They gave the homeowner a check towards a new comparable but had pay us extra because he wanted an up sized version. Win Win

I had a Jandy valve body crack. First and only time I have seen it not related to a freeze crack. Problem was the down pipe went through a poured pad, I needed the service slack and of course, it was a flooded suction and the valve was for the main drain. AHS paid for all the suction side plumbing to be redone by us and a diver to plug and unplug the drain. The reason I knew it wasn't a freeze crack was because I had both opened and closed the pool. I originally met the homeowner from a prior AHS call.

Sometimes, AHS will send out for a second opinion.

AHS tracks everything that is documented and said. It's how they rate their vendors. This dictates the number of calls, types of calls and how much a service provider is worth to them.

Service companies don't always do their work for the money they pay but rather to try to acquire new customers.

There is no such thing as stupidity insurance.

Lights in the pool are not covered.

Underground plumbing is not covered.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.