Can't figure out what this is in my pool water?

I just had to report back after seeing the skimmer sock after it's first day on my skimmer basket. I put it on last night and checked it this morning and there were just a few small bugs and very little debris in it. When I got home from work at around 4 or so the sock was caked with the pollen that I have been seeing in my pool. It wasn't so bad that it was restricting the water flow but I am completely floored at how much stuff this sock was able to catch. I can still see a small amount of it on the water surface but nothing like I was seeing on those days previous to me getting the skimmer sock. It makes me wonder if some of the stuff was going through my DE filter and just returning back into the pool.

One thing that I would like to reemphasize to anyone reading this who made have not tried the skimmer socks before and may be thinking of trying them....... definitely check them often. Fortunately there's not any visible debris floating around in my pool except the pollen so I was able to get by leaving it on the whole day unsupervised. But judging by the amount that it picked up in those nine or so hours that I have been gone, I can see how it would be a problem if left unattended for too long.

I just had to say thanks again to everyone who commented on this thread and helped me determine what this stuff was as well as all of you who helped me figure out how to collect it fairly easily.

I think I prefer the skimmer socks over the hair nets. Over the weekend, I received my hair nets and decided to conduct an "experiment." I placed the skimmer sock in the basket and then placed a hair net over it. After 5 hours I checked the basket and found that while the hair net did catch a good bit of debris, there was still a good bit that made it through to the skimmer sock. I rinsed both and then put the hair net in first and then put the skimmer sock over it. Five hours later, I checked it and found that all of the debris that was caught was trapped in the skimmer sock and none had made it through to the hair net. Both times, about the same amount of debris was collected so I think it was a fairly close comparison. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.