owner build - suspended pool infinity edge

I can't wait to see your pool finished. Thats interesting you have a skimmer with infinity pool.

I've seen them on houzz....I thought them redundant at first then I figure it was a convenient bonding point (haven't any other metal objects in pool)...then I also thought suppose one day the trough becomes serviceable....at least I could keep going.

I can't wait to see your pool finished. Thats interesting you have a skimmer with infinity pool.

Why would you not put a skimmer in an infinity pool? We always put them in.
I have two on my pool. They fill with leaves nicely, and keep my trough cleaner.

Openpool very cool project.
I see lots of thick concrete, are there expansion/control joints in any of this?

Hi Just-a-PB, I've admired your work over the years. About the joints, thanks for asking. When if asked about that the engineer advised me that the slabs you see were designed to act as one with your columns and beams as opposed to if it were done out of steel and merely sat on top. I know in regions with more extremes in temperature joints would be a major consideration.

This high up above grade without a tree close by.I doubt this summer well see any leaf action.

There probably won't be too many more pool related updates for a while but since us TF ppl 'love making things watertight, here's the road level retaining wall under way...over 13ft. Using a rough plaster finish then a black mastic asphalt waterproof product...2 casus, then a membrane. A horizontal pipe, with holes, in gravel and geotex fabric under countless loads of backfill should take it up above rough level and provide needed drainage although it should be minimal since the top will be driveway concrete cast. The other side of the wall is habitable as you can see.

upload_-1.jpg

I have two on my pool. They fill with leaves nicely, and keep my trough cleaner.

I see lots of thick concrete, are there expansion/control joints in any of this?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot pic....

Why would you not. The troth thats why. Its one big skimmer. All the leaves and that will go there. I have a skimmer up top buy actually talked to my PB about not having it, he felt better with it. We both were really sure its needed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
some more work this week on the pool....

I ran out the drains for the trough, light niche, overflow and autofill lines. I'm leaning towards cheaping out with a regular fill valve with inline float...tucked away under the beam in the corner.
upload_-1.jpg

No, I haven't fallen off a cliff....but sorry for the lapse in updates.

Truth of the matter is that the pool spent the better part of a year as a 'store room' for all the other building materials...a whole container full of tiles, windows, glass, etc.

But this week tiling has resumed for the coping and the mosaic that will be used for the water line, all of the baja shelf and the weir/trough.

The coping tile is a 1" x 24" piece from a chinese company. I regret that I did not buy more mosaic tile so that I could do the entire pool tiled.

Here is an album linking to these photos pool progress - Google Photos

p.s. Since I last posted photos, something seems to have changed with picasaweb/url link posting....Sorry can't figure a work around.

Hello Kimkats!

This glass mosaic tile has mesh on the back of it, as opposed to paper on the font. I've read online somewhere that this type, the mesh mosaic tiles are less desirable for overflow edges installation.....not sure why that is so, but I hope it works out in this case.

I used a water level to convey the baja shelf level all the way around the perimeter so that the coping edge can be more or less the same height above that given line. Hopefully, when the water is still I end up with a horizontal and even grout lines for the mosaic.

yea! He is back! I love that tile. So pretty! LOL on the pool becoming a storage area! You do what you gotta do some times.

Photo bucket has stopped 3rd party linking. I wonder if picasaweb has also?

Kim:kim:

The tile lasting will really depend on the skills of the tile installers. If they don't do it right (not 100% sure of right is) the mesh can show through the class and the tiles can pop off. I will leave it up to you to research what is the "right" was to install them. I think it has to do with the waterproofing on the gunite and prep work done as well as the skill of the person doing the mortar bed.

That will be a sight to see when it is done! I can't wait!

Kim:kim:

Wow. Crazy build.

Ok you mentioned home theatre under pool. What's up with that project? I assume since it's under a pool u built a concrete bunker or room in room design to isolate it from the rest of the home? Would love to see what's up with that room and layout!

jim

Hello jim, the slab for that (and the neighboring equipment room) has not been poured as yet. So stay tuned.

On that note, with the equipment below the pool, I envision some extra valves so that for example merely cleaning the strainer doesn't empty the entire pool!

Here is today's update...the coping tiles on the weir edges got circles notched in them for the glass railing spigots. I could not put the spigots simply above because the glass tops wouldn't match with the others already on the surrounding porcelain tile.
2h87cw7.jpg

Wow. Crazy build.

Ok you mentioned home theatre under pool. What's up with that project? I assume since it's under a pool u built a concrete bunker or room in room design to isolate it from the rest of the home? Would love to see what's up with that room and layout!

jim

Hey openpool, where are you located? Looks like you overlook the Gulf of Paria, maybe you might be in Cascade??? I am a Trini and very well familiar with the area:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.