owner build - suspended pool infinity edge

Hey RoyD,

Sounds like a cool project! Where you building? Long Mountain? or out on the North coast?

This might sound crazy but I designed it myself, having gotten a terrain datafile from a topo study, then to iron out the kinks I hired a structural engineer and gave him the soil study report and finally a design/builder who is actually carrying out this phase of construction. I'm not knocking anyone in the architect profession...and surely, they could do a better job than me, but I just wanted to try.

Construction on a hill surely has its challenges but it can work out for you. If there's any more information I can offer just write.

Who is your architect? I am planning a similar project ( house and infinity pool) on a ridge in a Jamaica so I am following your build closely.

RoyD

- - - Updated - - -

So...pour was yesterday...55 cubic meters in all.

Here was the pool ready for action....umbrella sleeves in place too!

upload_-1.jpg

Seems pretty secure right??

upload_-1.jpg

Wrong!!! Concrete and its weight is not to be trifled with. It actually found a vulnerability in the deep end where a 2x4 was bent out and concrete spewed out on to the floor....about 25 buckets worth. Too much drama to take a photo. Thankfully the main drains were covered with plastic...because I wouldn't even want to think about it. Lesson: Brace! Brace! Brace!

Here's the rest of the pour. A line pump was used.

upload_-1.jpg

Here it is all done....with a little morning wetting.

snapshot_000DC5D35A35_20151224120906.jpg

So what's next?

There are starter steel bars protruding horizontally on the outer wall....then to frame and build out the water trough.

When all of that is built out and the internal formwork is removed, it'll be time to slap on two coats of waterproofing product. I have a couple options before me and will decide in time

The view is fabulous but your build is giving me heart failure!!! (J/k) All that steel is really impressive!
Do you have many gawkers around the site, people just curious and watching the build and marveling at the wonder of it?

Lol at the gawkers. I do see people walking on the street at the bottom staring, some people stop the car at the top and survey it....would love to hear what they're thinking....

"What is this mad man doing here?!"

Hey RoyD,

OK...down in Ochie....Looks as daunting as when I first started.....with the trees and all.

Of course I did a lot of driving around checking out what other people did....checked out houzz and all that.

See like what your neighbour did up there? Huge retaining wall and built on the flat piece....I tried to avoid that route...felt there was too much wasted space. I find in hillside construction you can get more than you bargained for. What was poured yesterday is actually the *fourth* level...with one more to go atop. Think in terms of utilizing all your space below...especially if you have a view of the SEA below. Wouldn't a vacation/ local apt rental work out well for you below?

I'm seeing some extra deep beams up there, perhaps they have a small plunge up there too?

Did you take that pic from 0 elevation?

Hey RoyD,

OK...down in Ochie....Looks as daunting as when I first started.....with the trees and all.

Of course I did a lot of driving around checking out what other people did....checked out houzz and all that.

See like what your neighbour did up there? Huge retaining wall and built on the flat piece....I tried to avoid that route...felt there was too much wasted space. I find in hillside construction you can get more than you bargained for. What was poured yesterday is actually the *fourth* level...with one more to go atop. Think in terms of utilizing all your space below...especially if you have a view of the SEA below. Wouldn't a vacation/ local apt rental work out well for you below?

I'm seeing some extra deep beams up there, perhaps they have a small plunge up there too?

Did you take that pic from 0 elevation?

I do not want to hijack your thread, but I am evaluating the same issues you have pointed out.

Here is what others have done on the ridge.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ywh7ouepvip9az/B-Ridge%20view.jpg?dl=0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the delay and thanks for asking!

things been on a bit of a go slow last week.....just took off the sides of the form work and started prepping for the last floor -- 8" blocks for that back wall and scaffolding for more formwork.

hope to give more insightful photos this week.

upload_-1.jpg

Some closer pics

I wanted to keep the plumbing as simple as possible. They are all on one side of the wall. The one closest to the corner will bend 45 deg to come out the steps. A vac port is also shown in the fore.

upload_-1.jpg

Here you can see the madness that went on with the spillage (towards the bottom). There is going to be some major hilti-ing going on to bring that wall under the shelf back to square.

upload_-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.