Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

1. Back To Top    #1

Insurance

Does anyone out there not tell their home owners insurance about their pool?
    If you don't tell your home owners insurance, what are the potential ramifications?
    In Ground, Free Form 17 X 36, Vinyl Liner
    18,000 Gallons
    SWG
    Installation Date: Feb. 2009

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Insurance

Don't even think about it if you have assets to protect.

The ramifications are you will get sued if there is an accident and be on the hook for the whole thing.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

We purchased a $1Mil Umbrella policy, for our own piece of mind. Americans are lawsuit crazy...I wouldn't take a chance.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I told mine before I put it in. It doesn't affect my rates as long as I have it fenced properly, but even though I have earthquake coverage on my house it specifically excludes the pool.

Not telling them could result in cancellation or refusal to pay a settlement, and you may not have coverage on the pool if it's damaged by a storm etc..
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the pool added maybe $20 a year to my policy
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

6. Back To Top    #6

I have an inground pool and when I put it in I asked my StateFarm agent and they said it did not matter, it would be included in my normal policy at no added cost.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, definitely tell your insurance company. If you don't and end up getting sued, they will come after your assets. I don't think the pool added much cost to our policy.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

8. Back To Top    #8

Adding a pool didn't change our homeowner policy premium.

In addition, we went with a $1 million umbrella liability policy - which required us to raise the liability limits on our auto insurance ... and actually lowered our auto rate .. go figure.

The umbrella policy went for $250 per year ... a bargain for having peace of mind.
    32x22 Free Form Gunite (3'9"- 5'3") 6'x9' Free Form Spa - 12 Jets, Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Color Logic LED Lights, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Tristar 2 speed pool pump, 1.5hp Tristar pump - sheer descents, 1.5hp Tristar spa pump w/1.0hp Blower, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, Hayward Tigershark RC9990 cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

i Have a 1 mill umbrella does that cover it?
    AGP (Wil-Par): 24' round, approx 14,000 gallon, 2 hp- 2 speed cartridge filter, TF100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

The rule of thumb I have heard is to get 1 million dollars or your net worth, whichever is higher, of umbrella insurance. Sadly, with insurance there is no point at which you can conclusively say "that is enough". More is always better, but not always worth paying for.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Our pool added about $35 per year (AAA). We are in process for the $1 mil umbrella policy. Funny, though, with a $2 mil suit you're still up the creek. I guess the idea is to not tell anybody you have the policy and then they won't go after it.... (as much). I can just see the mailman 'tripping' and grabbing the $1 mil....

But back to the subject -- it's super cheap -- do not avoid the insurance.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

12. Back To Top    #12

What about Above ground pools? Anyone have any comments on how that affects insurance? We are with State Farm.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a Old growth oak that towers over my pool that makes a mess!
    I wonder if one of those big branches feel on it if the homeowners would cover it.
    24'x52" ABG Around 13,000 gallons.
    Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter 1.5 hp pump 100GPM.

14. Back To Top    #14

My insurance knows, didnt care. My rates stayed the same.
    But...i have a $2 million umbrella liability policy.
    My property taxes went up $100 a year though.

15. Back To Top    #15

yeah, we told our agent when we bought the house (and he did a drive by) and he said it didn't matter.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

My insurance agent just asked if the yard or pool was fenced (which the yard is). I'm getting a $1 million umbrella policy, going to run about $150 a year I think.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

17. Back To Top    #17

So are the pools covered for damage from storms and debris from storms?
    Or is that extra usually?
    24'x52" ABG Around 13,000 gallons.
    Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter 1.5 hp pump 100GPM.

18. Back To Top    #18

We have an AGP and got coverage for damage during wind, hail, etc. about $7 a year more to cover for replacement cost. We also have liability coverage, but we have horses too so it's straight across the board liability no matter the reason.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    We purchased a $1Mil Umbrella policy, for our own piece of mind. Americans are lawsuit crazy...I wouldn't take a chance.
    +1...mine is $125/yr...

In our town, we had a fairly famous premises liability lawsuit and trial about 10 years back...a family goes on vacation with an IG pool and a 6 foot locked fence...the neighbor teenage and his friends jump the fence and he dives in an fractures C5/C6 and is a quadriplegic...10 million dollar jury verdict...the family filed bankruptcy and lost their home...

Please tell your insurance company
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by ideliver
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    +1...mine is $125/yr...

In our town, we fairly famous premises liability lawsuit and trial about 10 years back...a family goes on vacation with an IG pool and a 6 foot locked fence...the neighbor teenage and his friends jump the fence and he dives in an fractures C5/C6 and is a quadriplegic...10 million dollar jury verdict...the family filed bankruptcy and lost their home...

Please tell your insurance company
    Stories like this just boil my blood. I feel for the teenager ending up as a quadriplegic, but a family lost everything because of his criminal action and sheer stupidity. One of the many things wrong with this country of ours - no one is held accountable for their actions anymore. It's always "someone else's fault"...

OK, off my soapbox now..back to your regular programming.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast