Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What type of valve should I get for slide hookup?

1. Back To Top    #1

What type of valve should I get for slide hookup?

I want to run my slide off of a valve on the return side of my plumbing. I was going to use a stnd Jandy 2 port but I'm worried about my kids controlling the valve and turning off the flow completely to the rest of the system if they turn the valve completly to the slide side. Is there a valve that I can use that would turn the slide on and off without changing the flow for the rest of the return?
    46k gallon vinyl, Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 100, Autopilot DIG60, Raypak R405a, Bravo Fury Auto Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What type of valve should I get for slide hookup?

You'd need a dedicated valve on the slide line. Most folks just use a small ball valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

I see what you are saying so plumb the slide line in directly and put a valve on the slide line.
    46k gallon vinyl, Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 100, Autopilot DIG60, Raypak R405a, Bravo Fury Auto Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

So to use the ball valve would I think just put a "T" in the return line and run that to the slide line? Then put a ball valve somewhere in that line? Or instead of a "T" should I put a 2 way valve there and also a ball valve in the slide line?

One of my worries is that the slide line coming up from the concrete is very small I think it's 1/2". There is thick flexible pipe like 1 1/2" coming out under the slide but I have no idea how this PB built this thing. So i'm worried the flow going thru this 2" pipe then sized down to the 1/2" could cause a problem.

What do you think?

5. Back To Top    #5

"T" with a valve will be fine. Most slides I see are plumbed with 1/2" or 3/4", preferably 3/4". I'm not quite clear on what you're describing with the reduction in plumbing size, but from what I understand of it I don't think you'll have any issues.

6. Back To Top    #6

what i was trying to say was if I put a 2" "T" in the return line, I'd need to reduce the 2" down to the 1/2" or 3/4" to connect to the slide supply. Is there another way to do it?

And you are saying to go with the "t" with then a ball valve somewhere in line with the slide supply?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. The reduction is no problem, it just reduces the water flow to that line which is good since you don't want half your water flow going to the slide anyway.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you think I should put the "T" before or after the heater? Also I was just thinking if the pump isn't running I guess I've got no water on the slide.

9. Back To Top    #9

Before the heater. And yes, you'd have to have the pump on.