Pentair single speed 1 HP pump ?

Where is the best place to buy these motors?
There are plenty of places online to purchase them. As I said before, just google the part numbers and several online stores will show up. Amazon often carries motors but they may not always be the best price.

Here are prices, stores and some ratings:

Century B2980 Pump Motor, 3/4, 1/10 HP, 3450/1725, 230 V

Century B2980T Pump Motor, 3/4, 1/10 HP, 3450/1725, 230 V

Don't forget you will also need a new shaft seal.

Will I need to add surge protection when installing the new motor?
No, only a VS requires surge protection.

There are plenty of places online to purchase them. As I said before, just google the part numbers and several online stores will show up. Amazon often carries motors but they may not always be the best price.

Thanks, mas!

What is the likely payback period for this motor investment?

Thanks, mas!

What is the likely payback period for this motor investment?

That's a very difficult question to answer. You'd have to do the math yourself. It would be highly dependent on the cost per kWh of electricity for you and your current pump run times versus your pump run times with the new pump. I've heard numbers thrown around for 2-speed pumps on the order of 2-3 year payback and VS pumps 4-8 year payback but that is just hearsay without crunching numbers.

For the Superflo, the difference between high speed and low speed is about 1000 watts so at $0.11/kwh, you will save about $0.11 per hour of run time. If the motor plus seal is $350, then pay back is around 3200 hours of run time (~2 years @ 4 hours/day, 365 days per year).

Thank you!

Where would I buy shaft seal and can I install myself?

You can certainly buy the seal kit your self. You don't need all the seals that come with the kit, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them all. Amazon.com: Pentair SuperFlo Garden

Again as Bob, you might be best served going through a local machine/motor shop that does these repairs to do the motor and seal replacement for you. It is certainly worth it to get done right if you have not done it before. Most places would even allow you to purchase the motor and parts yourself and have them do the repair or you may be surprised that they can do the whole works for the same or less.

Can you please explain the difference in the two motors you included here ? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you currently have a timer or controller?

If not, you can get the motor that comes with a timer or purchase a separate timer. Either way, you will want some way to turn on and off the pump and change speeds at set intervals.

When I replace, I'll likely just run the pump on my current timer set up and change the speeds manually, which will not be very often. I don't have a waterfall feature or a suction/pressure side cleaner that would necessitate running at high speed for any length of time. It might be nice on occasion to bump the speed up for some added skimming action but that's very occasionally.

I have the T101 timer from the Intermatic brand. They are reliable, durable and I wouldn't go with anything else, unless I had a fancy integrated system with an SWG.
T100 Mechanism Series

These are configured to run your heater as well, and shut them down 20 minutes before your pump goes off.
T100M201 Mechansim Series

There are also electronic controls from intermatic, but I have no experience with those. They might be a more user friendly option if you would eventually like to control your pump, pump speed, heater and SWG.

In all cases of these timers, I would recommend picking out the one that will work for you and having a licensed electrician install it or consult a licensed electrician about what timer is right for you and have them install it.

Based on this *electricity rate, and the fact that we have a timer on our current pump, would this motor work best?

Century Pump Motor, 3/4, 1/10 HP, 3450/1725, 230 V B2980 | Zoro.com

Looks like its $199.95 right now.

If this would work, can you help me calculate my breakeven ? Thank you !!

*I found this on electricitylocal.com

• Residential Electricity in Bradenton
    • The average residential electricity rate in Bradenton is 10.4¢/kWh.

Yes, that motor should work fine.

As for break even, it depends on how you use the pump and the plumbing. But I can give you an example and you can take it from there:

Once the motor is in place and assuming typical 1 1/2" plumbing, the motor will consume about 1347 watts on high speed and 294 watts on low. Assuming you run the pump on high for one hour and on low for three hours per day (4 hours total), that would be about 2.2 kwh per day or 67 kwh per month or about $7/month. If you continued to use the old motor (i.e. single speed) for the same run time, that would use about 162 kwh per month at a cost of $17 per month. So you would save about $10 per month and break even is about 20 months of operation.

Yes, that motor should work fine.

As for break even, it depends on how you use the pump and the plumbing. But I can give you an example and you can take it from there:

Once the motor is in place and assuming typical 1 1/2" plumbing, the motor will consume about 1347 watts on high speed and 294 watts on low. Assuming you run the pump on high for one hour and on low for three hours per day (4 hours total), that would be about 2.2 kwh per day or 67 kwh per month or about $7/month. If you continued to use the old motor (i.e. single speed) for the same run time, that would use about 162 kwh per month at a cost of $17 per month. So you would save about $10 per month and break even is about 20 months of operation.

Thank you, that is very clear and helpful!

QUESTIONS:

1. Is 4 hours per day a normal run time for a pump ? (We are currently running our 1 HP Single Speed 8 hours per day for our 8,000 gallon)

2. Will our Timer from the Single Speed Pump run the Dual Speed Pump without any problem ?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.