Ready to get started

Your pH is down.

Jugs away! With CYA of 40, FC level should be 16. Get a good kill going tonight, so the sunlight won't steal any of the bleach.

Kim is worrying about your high CH levels. I wouldn't. You'll be backwashing frequently during the SLAM and replacing a good bit of water and reducing CH as a side benefit.

attachment.php

View attachment 41504

Here is a pic.

- - - Updated - - -

So once I add the bleach, how long do I wait before I take a reading?
Yopu used poolmath to calculate the dose, yes?

With the pump on and a good brushing... "not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning." straight outta Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

It's getting on towards bedtime, so you could just call it a night and set the alarm a half hour early tomorrow to check the filter pressure and to test and dose again before you leave for work.

I believe the latest posted results were from the fill water, not the pool. Perhaps cal-hypo was used to chlorinate in the past.

That looks like a lot of chlorine, for fill water...? Should tap water normally have any CC; I can't imagine that's right?

I did not have enough bleach to start the SLAM last night. I will start this afternoon.

The most recent levels were fill water levels taken at my kitchen sink. I can retake those today too to confirm they are right or wrong.

What are typical levels for fill water and what is the benefit to knowing the levels?

The information one usually wants for fill water are calcium hardness, alkalinity, and pH. For example, if someone has very high CH from their tap water (as is common in some regions of the country), then one has to plan on managing the pool with relatively high CH.

I commented on your FC and CC levels because they look odd to me; however, we're on well water, so I don't know how municipally treated water usually looks for chlorine levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the latest posted results were from the fill water, not the pool. Perhaps cal-hypo was used to chlorinate in the past.

That looks like a lot of chlorine, for fill water...? Should tap water normally have any CC; I can't imagine that's right?

Me reading the info he gave would help! THANKS! for the catch.

City water can have that. We saw one that had FC of 3.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing the fill water numbers will help you when you have to add water for some reason. You will know what you are adding and what you need to have on hand to "fix" it if needed.

It is SLAM time!

Kim

Add and wait to test again in 1 hour. Try to keep testing and adding every hour when possible. WHEN the FC starts holding for 1 hour you can back off to every 2 hours. When FC starts holding for 2 hours back off to every 3 hours, ect.

Working away from home days or just when away from home test and add as often as possible. Try for at least 4 times a day if at all possbile-wake up, home, dinner, before bed.

The more you get and MAINTAIN your FC at SLAM level the faster your SLAM will go.

Kim

Retested....

FC 17
CC 1
PH 8.2 (What!?!)

My wife and I both looked at the PH last night and it was plain as day 7.2-7.3. How could it have increased? Could the MA not have dispersed well when I took my reading last night? Will this affect my SLAM or can I add more MA mid-SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.