Hayward H100ID heater only fires when ignition module is not grounded.

Aug 8, 2015
marysville, pa
I have replaced nearly every component on this nearly new heater. Last was the gas valve; installed & it fired fight up. I didn't need heat so turned the heater off. Today I want heat and it doesn't fire. I saw somewhere a guy said heleft his ig. Module just hang and it worked, so I tried it and sure enough it's firing. I don't feel good about doing this but I will make a permanent hanger if it's safe. Any thoughts?

Can you post a picture of this "module" that you left hanging? I know there is a control board in there that the spark igniter runs off of. Is this what you are speaking about.

A quick lesson on how these systems work.

Thermostat initiates a call for heat.
Board checks water temp sensor and confirms that the water is colder than the call for heat.
The board starts the draft inducer fan and checks for the vacuum switch to close.
The board then checks all safeties such as water pressure.
Board sends signal to spark igniter
Gas valve opens and unit fires .

Danpik, yes it's the main control board. I just took the screw out that holds the aluminum (?) plate that the board mounts to the case & hung it so it didn't touch any parts of the heater & it fired. UPDATE: it stopped firing after a short while (half-hour?). So, I hung the plate back in place but removed the green grounding wire from the plate. Then it dired and ran for a while until I turned it off. 2nd UPDATE: today it doesn't fire! This is really frustrating. I could have bought another heater for all the money I spent trying to keep this thing running. From other corums I'm getting the info that says it's a really unreliable piece of junk.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for typos, trying to use cell phone.

This is really frustrating. I could have bought another heater for all the money I spent trying to keep this thing running. From other corums I'm getting the info that says it's a really unreliable piece of junk.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for typos, trying to use cell phone.

Yes sometimes you have to throw in the towel and start with a new heater and just enjoy the pool.

I'd recommend a Raypak heater when you purchase the new one.

I have one of these heaters on my pool. Been on there for the last 10 years. While I will agree that these are not the most reliable heaters, Mine has been fairly trouble free for the last 5 years and I don't treat it all that well. Drain the water for the winter and leave it out on the pad all winter long. I did have to replace the pressure switch once. For some reason unknown to me all of the components on it just exploded all over inside the housing. It never leaked from the bladder in the switch though. I bypassed it until the new one showed up and got installed. The only other problem I had, and I found this on several other of these, is the power connection pins on the circuit board have bad solder connections and need to be resoldered. For the price I paid (at the time $500 ) I can't really complain.

I'm having a similar issue with grounding if anyone wants to revisit this thread for me. I replaced nearly everything (PC Board, ICM, Thermostats, Potentiometers...).
Here's the issue, as soon I place the thermostat cover on (Raypak old A265), the pilot lights, the ignitor stays on and main burner won't fire. I remove the thermostat cover, and keep it on my lap, the main burners fire up. I literally put the cover up to the unit and the main burners just flame out.
I am somewhat confident that this is a grounding issue, but why and where? I did screw on the PC Board, and before I replaced it, it wasn't mounted to the back metal plate. The ground wire to the pilot/ignitor is kinda rusty. Any help is appreciated. _KD

Hello,
I just bought a new Hayward ABG100 heater today.
Does anyone know why it’s not igniting? It making all the right sounds. It’s also omitting a gas smell when it try’s to light.
Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

Same exact problem. Checked everything and everything is in working order. Hoping someone can give some input.

Hello,
I just bought a new Hayward ABG100 heater today.
Does anyone know why it’s not igniting? It making all the right sounds. It’s also omitting a gas smell when it try’s to light.
Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

Same exact problem. Checked everything and everything is in working order. Hoping someone can give some input.
Hey Slantz,
Welcome to TFP. It may be helpful to create a new thread with more specifics. But that’s OK for now. Please provide us with your signature and read the “Read this before you post” section so we can be of more assistance.

Are you just installing the Hayward heater mentioned or another? As much detail as possible can lend us a hand.

Become a TFP Supporter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.