replace 1 1/2 hp single speed pump with 1 hp variable speed

macdad

Jul 27, 2015
florida
I currently have a 1 1/2 hp single speed A/O smith motor mated to a Whisper flow (4 years old at least). The pump is starting to whine and I have a opportunity to acquire a new Jandy 1 hp variable speed (entire unit - pump, basket, etc) one week old for a great price. Will this swap work? The directional jets (2) in my pool are much stronger than they need to be and there is plenty of suction for the cleaner when in use. I look forward to your thoughts

Thx,

macdad

DO IT. I just replaced an AO Smith 1.5HP + Jandy FloPro older than dirt motor with a Hawyard SuperPump VS. Granted I got a 1.5HP replacement, but even on the medium setting I'm getting better flow than the old pump, and the high setting is way more than the kreepy krawly can handle.

The nice thing about the VS systems is they are so much more energy efficient, you can just leave it on low speed all the time so the water is circulating, and it's almost free in that mode. Once I have a couple weeks worth of data, I'll correlate it all (I can download daily usage statistics from my power account.)

Oh - and the best part is they are darn close to noise free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.