Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble Tec or Colored Plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble Tec or Colored Plaster

Pebble Tec or Colored Plaster? My husband and I are building our first pool and have heard conflicting information about both. What's seems to be the preference? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebble Tec or Colored Plaster

All of the finishes have advantages and disadvantages. PebbleTec is very pretty and lasts longer than most other finishes, but it can get quite expensive and some people find it to be tough on their feet. Colored plaster is less expensive but doesn't last as long. The darker colors sometimes have a blotchy appearance. Personally I would go for Pebble Sheen if I could afford it, and Diamond Brite if I couldn't afford the Pebble Sheen.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You could even go with Pebble Fina. It is very smooth just like plaster and it is much more durable than regular plaster.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

4. Back To Top    #4

I second the Pebble Sheen. With crystal clear water the texture is visible and striking. My pool has a few barely visible blotches, which I believe are due to to acid wash process used to expose the pebbles. The blotches are most noticeable on cloudy, overcast days and can't be seen at all in direct sunlight.

Well worth the extra money! I recommend a Pebble-Tec/Sheen or similar finish to anyone who asks.
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the regular Pebble-Tec finish. We like it. The surface is rough, but on the other hand, no has ever slipped in our pool! In our case, by using the original Pebble-Tech finish, we recieved a lifetime warranty on the finish, from Pebble-Tec.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.