10# of 65% hypochlorite in 1 week & NO chlorine reading?!

Nittfan#1

Jul 22, 2019
My subject line pretty much says it all. My water is clear. There is no chlorine smell. Algae is now under control. Chlorine tablets are dissolving in a week or less (I’ve tried setting it as high as 7) and still just a trace reading late this pm after 6 bags of shock last night?!i I will admit t I don’t check the pH or total alkalinity often (full disclosure - its been 2 weeks or more). I added 7# of cyanuuric acid a few weeks ago. Can it really be as simple as Ph or alkalinity? I’ve had this pool for 27 yrs and have never had this problem/this badly! Help??! TY!

Welcome to the forum!
How are you testing your water chemistry? Do you have a full set of test results?
You do not say how large your pool is (can you fill out your signature?) but you are adding a lot of CYA.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I test my water with a simple test kit of 5 vials (Chlorine, pH, total all, etc). My pool is 24,000 gallons. 6-7 # of cyanuric acid was the average amount recommended over the years after the fancy “chemistry lab” beaker testing performed @ two local pool stores. “Computer analysis” often recommended $400 of chemicals just to start, so I stopped going to B&M stores & began buying on line a few years ago. I haven’t had my water professionally tested in over 2 yrs. I have the large water testing kit purchased they you several yrs ago; too lazy to use it!

I test my water with a simple test kit of 5 vials (Chlorine, pH, total all, etc). My pool is 24,000 gallons. 6-7 # of cyanuric acid was the average amount recommended over the years after the fancy “chemistry lab” beaker testing performed @ two local pool stores. “Computer analysis” often recommended $400 of chemicals just to start, so I stopped going to B&M stores & began buying on line a few years ago. I haven’t had my water professionally tested in over 2 yrs. I have the large water testing kit purchased they you several yrs ago; too lazy to use it!
P.S. We have had record rainfall this Summer & 2.5” of rain in one hour yesterday!!

If you would like our assistance with your pool water chemistry, get a refill for your test kit and post up the results.

Take care.

Adding 7 lbs of stabilizer would have raised your CYA by 35 and your using tablets (trichlor), so it was probably already off the chart. Especially as many as you've indicated that you've been using.

Marty put it kinda bluntly, but he's totally correct. In order for us to help you, you need good test results. Also, you're not going to get them from a pool store.

Refill your test kit, or buy a new one, and let us know the results are and we can tell you exactly what's going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.