1 week old new StoneScapes mini pebble

Mar 2, 2012
Beaumont, Texas
My new plaster is 1 week today. So far I did brush twice everyday and add 31.45% daily to keep ph down. I really don’t know where to start. I feel like I don’t do enough to start up my pool. First to low down the ph, do I stay up home all day to keep add Muriatic Acid. Pool math give me an amount to add but it did seem to go down. How many chemicals can I add in 1 day? How long in between in order to add another one. Pool store and NPC suggests that not to add Muriatic Acid directly to the pool. I fill up the bucket then add Muriatic Acid then add to the pool but no change for 5 days. Finally Yesterday I decide to add Muriatic Acid to the pool directly And low Ph did went down 7.5 after add 25 oz Muriatic Acid I was happy I finally see different color. This morning ph went back. But back down to 7.5 after add 16oz Muriatic Acid. Then I add 16oz dry stabilizer to sock and leave it in the skimmer and set my timer for pump to off at 9pm when I get home. I test cya but I still cab see black dot. Tonight after work I add Muriatic Acid and baking soda to raise ta.
Is there any order to take care of chemicals. Is the ph has to be in range in order to take care of ta, ch, or cya?
This morning ph 7.5
Ta 40
CH 100
Cya I guess 0

With new plaster you will need to push the pH down daily. Once a day is enough. After the plaster stops curing the pH will will get more stable.

TA-you need to get that up some and keep an eye on it. The acid you add to lower the pH will also lower the TA. It is a balancing game.

CYA-don't bother testing it until it is all dissolved and has had a couple of days to mix in good.

CH-you also need to push this up some. That is a little low.

The only two chemicals that cannot be worked with at the same time is muratic acid and chlorine. They do NOT play well together. To be safe you should wait about 15 mins between adding these two. Make sure the pump is on when you add them and leave it on for a while to mix the water up good.

Look in my signature below for the main links you need to balance your water.

Kim:kim:

With new plaster you will need to push the pH down daily. Once a day is enough. After the plaster stops curing the pH will will get more stable.

TA-you need to get that up some and keep an eye on it. The acid you add to lower the pH will also lower the TA. It is a balancing game.

CYA-don't bother testing it until it is all dissolved and has had a couple of days to mix in good.

CH-you also need to push this up some. That is a little low.

The only two chemicals that cannot be worked with at the same time is muratic acid and chlorine. They do NOT play well together. To be safe you should wait about 15 mins between adding these two. Make sure the pump is on when you add them and leave it on for a while to mix the water up good.

Look in my signature below for the main links you need to balance your water.

Thank you very much.

This morning I check ph and ta then apply 16oz Muriatic Acid and apply 48oz Clorox ph protect and increase alkalinity. I start brushing the pool. Probably take 30min to brush brushing entire pool then I add 8oz liquid chlorine. Then test for ph and fc. then I add 24oz Leslie’s conditioner to 3 socks 8oz each and left in the the skimmer basket. I use the skimmer basket handle to hold them down. So tonight can I add calcium hardness while the conditioner in the skimmer basket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Over 36 hours now I can still can see the black dot at 20 or when cya tube test is full but water is cloudy is this mean my cya still 0?. How is cya test suppose to look? All I know that black dot have to be disappear. The dry conditioner measure by lb but I measure by 8oz cup. I measure same with hardness plus for calcium.

Here is a great video of the test being done.
the dot part is at the end.

My input will be to tell you to only GLANCE in when you are looking for the dot. Do NOT look for it or you will end up thinking you see it.

If your water is "cloudy" in the test tube that means you have some CYA in the water.

How much did you add in total? What was your CYA goal? Did you add enough to reach that goal according to Pool Math?

Over 36 hours ago I add add 3 cups which 24 oz but did not dissolve over 24 hours. After 12 hours I also add 8 cup of calcium hardness but it’s on go from 100 to 125. Last night I add 2 cups which 16oz. How long does it take to fully dissolve? Is there any best way to measure dry conditioner by weight? I use cup to measure, does it make any different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.