1.5" to 2"? Upgrading plumbing but existing return/MD/skimmer is 1.5"

rynoshark

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Seattle, WA
I am about to swap out all the plumbing in our pool house as we are switching to 3-way valves, a new Intelliflo VS pump, and adding a SWC system. The existing return pipe and pipe to the skimmer (which then has a pipe to MD) are all 1.5", but there is 2" between our existing Jandy heater and the 250 lb Pantera P70 filter. Should I plumb the entire pool house in 2", even though the connections to the pool itself are 1.5"? It would simplify the PVC pipe quantities, elbows, convertors, etc. that I need to buy. I wouldn't think this would cause any problems? I will add unions this time to make it easier to disconnect equipment.

Where is the best source to buy pool rated 2" sweep elbows, unions, etc? Thanks!

Re: 1.5" to 2"? Upgrading plumbing but existing return/MD/skimmer is 1.5"

Anything you replace I would make 2"
I would not worry about using sweep elbows.
Make sure all the fitting you use are Schedule 40.

R,

Plumbing with all 2" will just make it easier to plumb your equipment pad/shed... You really won't see any improvement in water flow.. You can install sweep elbows, but again it might make you feel better, but I doubt you will see any observable improvement in your water flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Great advice, thanks Jason and Jim. I'll skip the sweep elbows then...the 2" will already be much better than the 1.5" in there now. Schedule 40 makes sourcing everything easier, that's for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.