1-1/2" to 2" Valve

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Coast
Hello,
We just got this house/pool, it has a Hayward DE2420 24 sq ft filter with a 2.2 HP pump and 2" plumbing, 20000 gallons and solar panel which is I guess why there's a 2.2 HP pump, however the filter seems undersized. With a fresh cleaning and DE charge, the back pressure is at 30 psi already. The solar was an add on and the pump replaced (I suspect the original pump was smaller) but the filter kept the same. If I go with a larger filter, should also go with Hayward's 2" Vari-Flow valve? Hayward says the 1.5" can flow 60 GPM which seems like a lot already. Also if I go with a 2" valve, I suspect the inlets and outlets wont match up requiring additional plumbing work?
Any other tips and suggestion for this project is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

We just got this house/pool, it has a Hayward DE2420 24 sq ft filter with a 2.2 HP pump and 2" plumbing, 20000 gallons and solar panel which is I guess why there's a 2.2 HP pump, however the filter seems undersized.
It is and by a lot. Solar doesn't need much for a pump. I ran mine with a 1/2 HP pump. But do you have a spa and does this pump run the spa jets as well? This might explain the large pump but they should have up-sized the filter as well.

If you do go with the larger filter, the larger valve would also be a plus but only if you did something about the pump as well. Two speed or VS would be benefit.

On a variable speed pump, in what situations would I want to use the slower speed and higher speed? Perhaps when solar is circulating? The panels are 100' away from the pump. The outlet options are:
1. 2 "spa jets". There's no spa, just a couple jets with air control on a lounge type step.
2. In floor cleaning system
3. Solar - 100' distance
4. 2 standard wall returns
Also, it it normal for the pump to have to prime every time it starts up? Take about 30 seconds for it to start pumping. There's no check valve on the suction side.
Thank you,
James

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.