25 May 2024 Update: Gave up and decided to convert my new pool to an underground badminton court!

We had a similar issue when we installed hardwood floors in our old house. The flooring had to be in our “conditioned” space for 3 weeks before it could be installed so the flooring could get acclimated to the space. We were told that this would prevent cupping and/or warping after installation. This was for solid wood flooring.
That’s typical in our area and just beat practice. My cousin tells all his customers the same but if they don’t do it he says ur problem if anything happens. But even 3 weeks doesn’t help in some cases where there is a lot of humidity. The ac brings down that humidity but only so much.

Interesting tidbit on the AC before flooring issue. Is that a building code regulation or is it the flooring contractors requirement?
It's a manufacturers requirement. Does not apply to porcelain tiles but my wife can't stand the grout lines in them. You can get almost zero grout line porcelain tile but she had such a thing about them that I wasn't' allowed to even bring them up. Almost everything else has this acclimation period requirement of 3 days to 3 weeks. Otherwise they won't warrant the installation. Seems a bit extreme to me. I mean what happens if my power is out for 2 weeks after installation??? There's nothing I can find in their literature that says they can't be used where power is at risk of being off for more than x days. That's because they wouldn't sell any in that case. I guess they have found a way to make this requirement stick for new construction and all are doing it so I have to live with it. Along this subject there are now a myriad of choices including true wood floors, 100% vinyl laminates, wood-resin, wood-resin with stone cores. Pretty complicated to select the best one. We took a shot at LL Flooring's Durvana. A friend has it with large dogs and it's held up for over a year along with our humidity. Many others are switching to luxury vinyl composites but none had much experience.

Chris

It's a manufacturers requirement.

Otherwise they won't warrant the installation. Seems a bit extreme to me. I mean what happens if my power is out for 2 weeks after installation???
It's an installation issue vs. an insurance issue.

The first case is an installation issue and the second case is a damage related claim.

If there is a power loss after installation or maybe a water leak etc. that causes damage, then the manufacturer and installer will not consider it a warranty issue, they will not cover it under warranty and tell you to file an insurance claim.

Reactions: setsailsoon
The company the cut the line did not have to pay to fix it???

Interesting in hearing more about the paint/floor/ac thing as well.
Kim,

It's really a confluence of weird requirements to me. OK I've kind of accepted the flooring thing since I've bought it a LONG time ago due to supply chain issues. So all I have to do is get A/C right? Power was run to the meter box 2 months ago, so I just get early meter installation and hook up the A/C right? But nooooooh. Can't do that since we don't have final electric inspection. That can't be done 'till the floor is in since we have some floor electric outlets. So I must not be the first with this problem since they have this completely undocumented process for getting a "trim electric inspection". This allows me to get a meter installed to run A/C only before the final electrical inspection. Now here's where it gets really explainable. To get the trim electric inspection passed I must have paint on inside and outside of the house. What!? Yep confirmed this even with my electrical sub. Luckily I have my detailed schedule with logic embedded so I can evaluate impact to critical path and completion using the secret "trim electric permit" requirement. When I do that I have zero slip if weather remains as is since stucco is now on the critical path if I want my CO by end of September. Previously it had 3 weeks of float. Sure you could do this all manually but each iteration is a LOT of work and no builders have time for that. Almost none do a logic-based, resource loaded schedule either. So they just delay the move-in date and blame it on "supply chain". It's really their incompetence in basic project management. Sorry for the vent a little here but I have several friends that have builder custom homes in progress parallel with me. Most of them are on track for 14-16 months with a "professional builder" for very similar house. They are on the "supply chain" excuse train and it kind of sickens me at the price they are paying for it. For sure there are very competent builders that don't have this issue but most of my friends were not able to discern this before signing up.

Chris

The company the cut the line did not have to pay to fix it???
Yep, that's the way it worked out. Partly my fault though. I showed them where the line was but didn't mark it. I probably could have pressed them on it but the driveway contractor has gone above and beyond their original agreement to help with the huge extension for paver deliveries. When I did my original quote for pavers they were 6 weeks. So when time came to write the order (only a couple weeks later) they were 10 weeks. Then in just days they went to 16 weeks! There are 3 major paver manufacturers in our region. All have the same delivery date unless we buy very inexpensive pavers that won't last and don't match our color requirements. So I talked to the HOA and they said they will live with crushed concrete base until the pavers come in. Building department also agreed. All I had to do is demonstrate I had ordered the pavers. Easy to do with my invoice and cancelled check for $18,000. BUT, this now required a two-step installation first install the crushed concrete base then return, re-dress the base and do the final installation. There was a real cost increase for this but they ate it. I've found several cases where cooperation saved me cost and grief. So I ate the $310 repair.

Chris

PS So why did paver delivery go out so far, so suddenly? Apparently there are two very large distribution centers that just started construction for HD and Amazon. They have soaked up huge concrete, paver, and other building materials in our area. You may recall I was put on allocation back in March for concrete also due to this massive short-term demand.

One last thing to mention for this update. All projects have unique things that go wrong. Whether it's covid, energy spikes, forest fires, government action - it just happens to every project. This is where using basic project management tools like a real schedule with logic and resource loading plus a budget trending tool are needed. The other thing required is some "out of the box thinking". For example, our house requires 8' doors with either 5 or 6 panels. Nobody in town could source them for at least 6 months. I went national and found out why. They can be manufactured by several in 30 days but delivery to Florida was 5-8 weeks due to fuel and labor shortages that still persist. So nobody wanted to mess with it. I could have given up and changed the design requirement or extended the schedule. But I started thinking why would it take so long to deliver? Long story short I rented a U-haul and hired a school teacher looking to make some extra $ during the summer to pick them up from the factory outside of Houston and deliver to my site. Took 2 days, cost less and I helped a HS math teacher that really needed the money. I got it done for the same shipping cost in 2 days! Real builders and project managers earn their markup by thinking instead of excuse-making. Many people think they do nothing for their markup. And that's just not true. I'm quite certain I will find things like this on the pool build.

Chris

What a wild ride!!!

LL Flooring's Durvana. A friend has it with large dogs and it's held up for over a year along with our humidity.
Now that is THE test of a good floor for sure! What color did you go with?
This allows me to get a meter installed to run A/C only before the final electrical inspection.
Do you think they will monitor just how you are using the electric?
they just delay the move-in date and blame it on "supply chain". It's really their incompetence in basic project management.
sigh...............they don't really care as it is not them and their families doing without their new home :(
I've found several cases where cooperation saved me cost and grief. So I ate the $310 repair.
Got ya and have to say I agree with your thinking! Do NOT burn any bridges!
They can be manufactured by several in 30 days but delivery to Florida was 5-8 weeks due to fuel and labor shortages that still persist.
Now that is crazy and just shows how the world had changed as of late. We feel it here in many way as well.
Long story short I rented a U-haul and hired a school teacher looking to make some extra $ during the summer to pick them up from the factory outside of Houston and deliver to my site. Took 2 days, cost less and I helped a HS math teacher that really needed the money.
SCORE!!! That is thinking outside the box and helping out another person! What a long drive for them but would be SO worth it! Well played!

Now that is THE test of a good floor for sure! What color did you go with?
Do you think they will monitor just how you are using the electric?
Silk Spire Grey - kind of almost silvery grey wood grain pattern with a little brownish grain in the middle.

Probably won't monitor just require that I have only installed A/C breakers. But, I don't want to risk getting red-flagged. Owner builders get more scrutiny. The system is just set up that way. Probably for good reason since I've seen them do some pretty dumb things. I haven't had this issue only because I've done very little of the work myself. I can do some of it but it would take forever for me to do it myself. There are no credentials showing competency in the various crafts required for an owner-builder. Only a requirement to build to code and pass the same inspections as a licensed craft. So I think the inspectors are a little more thorough at least until they realize I am using credible contractors and in many cases they know them from personal experience. I think this is a good approach and it takes a while before they realize I'm not just ignoring all the requirements and in fact they are a part of my quality control system.

Chris

Reactions: kimkats and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Save the money and just live with the slab flooring and throw rugs …

Skip the rugs...

• Love
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Some of my family internationally has polished concrete flooring in their homes and I really love it. Not super in style here. But maybe it will be someday.

Reactions: newdude
Save the money and just live with the slab flooring and throw rugs …
Great idea! Only problem is this curly headed lady I live with. I just mentioned dyed concrete counter tops and paid a heavy price for that. Personally I like tile but she can't stand grout lines so that's out too.

Chris

Great idea! Only problem is this curly headed lady I live with. I just mentioned dyed concrete counter tops and paid a heavy price for that. Personally I like tile but she can't stand grout lines so that's out too.

Chris

Soapstone makes for an amazing countertop material. All the rage these days.

Reactions: JamesW
September 2022 Update

Folks,

I think I've mentioned before that I would transition from weekly overall schedule updates to a rundown schedule. This is where we have copied remaining activities so we can focus on them and the critical path within. The whole schedule has been built and managed with an open source scheduling program called Project Libre. Click here if you're interested in learning more. It's similar to MS Project and lacks a lot of the interface functionality... so it's a little harder to work with. But I've found it plenty good for this project and it's free.

We're updating this a couple times per week now since activities change daily from plan. It also gives me the ability to quickly identify the critical path and "ping" vendors several times per week to be sure they perform... also I find out early if they won't and can take corrective action. Below is today's update. You'll see a lot of the activities have "start no sooner than" constraints. That date comes from the larger overall schedule and/or a new date the sub is available etc.

It looks like I'm still on track for last week in September so I've used all 3 weeks of float remaining as of July. We're definitely nip and tuck at this point and critical path goes through electrical inspections which I'm very concerned won't happen in time. I've always said a schedule that has no float is a schedule that will not be met so we're likely to slide into October. But we're definitely very, very close. You may also notice oddball items in like finish roof tiles. Should have been completed a long time ago right? Yep except we were delivered a short order and they ran out of pigment which had to come from overseas which finally came in and we're 3rd in line to get those on Sept 9th! Supply chain has been a real and continuous battle every week!

Experienced builders and owner builders cautioned me this project would take 18-24 months and they ask how in the world did I get it done in 7 months. (Broke ground last week of Feb.) Simple answer is build a robust schedule based on firm commitments as much as possible. Build in reasonable float and manage every day like it is your last day. A day at the front is more important than the last.

I plan to do the pool same way. Right now looks to be 2 months or so from breaking ground.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

1662396016024.png

It's a good choice for some people, but very soft.

My neighbors did a big remodel of their kitchen/dining area and did all the counters and a large island in soapstone. Aside from oiling it once per year, it doesn’t need any upkeep. But yes, their kids are all grown and out of the house so they have no worries about someone banging pots on it or going crazy with Crayola markers.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support