0 CYA and 0 FC. Need advise

So the R0013 was sealed and good. The R-0007 doesn’t have a dropper and that’s the one that leaked all over. All other bottles are sealed good.

Does your cheapo kit have a reagent called "Thiosulphate" or "Chlorine Remover"or something like that? You can just use that in your TF100 TA-test instead of R-0007. You just need a drop to remove the chlorine from the test sample so the indicator doesn't bleach out, not very critical which brand of Thiosulphate you use for that or how much of that you add.

TA= 95 (had to use my cheap store bought kit) the new one doesn’t have a dropper)
My refill set was missing the tip on the R-0007 as well. I didn't check before I overturned the bottle and dumped 5/6 of the bottle out. I substituted the tip from the old bottle. Luckily, this isn't a frequent test for me and it also doesn't use much per test. Should last the season.

Reactions: LovinPoolLife
My refill set was missing the tip on the R-0007 as well. I didn't check before I overturned the bottle and dumped 5/6 of the bottle out. I substituted the tip from the old bottle. Luckily, this isn't a frequent test for me and it also doesn't use much per test. Should last the season.
Again, send me an email! You are entitled to a replacement bottle! Whether you want it now or with your next order, bottles without dropper tips are a quality control issue that needs addressing.

Again, send me an email! You are entitled to a replacement bottle! Whether you want it now or with your next order, bottles without dropper tips are a quality control issue that needs addressing.
Hi I’m sorry for not emailing yesterday. I just sent it now. With working and the. Playing with my new test kit when I got home, the day just got away from me. Thank you for taking care of this for me.

FC= 3.5
CC= .5 (turned a very minute shade of pink and 1 drop got it clear)
I feel like I’ve just taken a step backwards from these numbers yesterday afternoon. Last night before bed my FC=9.5 CC=.5. This morning FC 4.5 CC=1.
I did vacuum and broom pool really good and cleaned inside skimmers, which stirred up a cloud of dirt. Maybe it was algae hiding. Put enough chlorine to slam lvl before work. Hoping for good results this evening. ☹️

Maybe it was algae hiding
Exactly. Sometimes it does the 2 steps forward / one back dealio. *** Do not get discouraged. *** progress is progress and you found or exposed more algae that needed killing.

Don't fixate on needing less FC today. See it that we don't know how bad it is, but it's going to take X gallons of FC to fix. Each gallon used brings us closer to the unknown goal. If we need 5 more gallons tomorrow, that's not boohoo, it's woohoo. We are 5 gallons closer to the end. Whatever the end is. :)

Exactly. Sometimes it does the 2 steps forward / one back dealio. *** Do not get discouraged. *** progress is progress and you found or exposed more algae that needed killing.

Don't fixate on needing less FC today. See it that we don't know how bad it is, but it's going to take X gallons of FC to fix. Each gallon used brings us closer to the unknown goal. If we need 5 more gallons tomorrow, that's not boohoo, it's woohoo. We are 5 gallons closer to the end. Whatever the end is. :)
Thank you for the encouragement. I’m used to opening the pool, tossing in 4 to 5 gal of liquid chlorine, 6oz of algaecide and having crystal clear water in 5 days or less. This has been almost 2 full weeks. I’m trying to not fall back on old habits.

having crystal clear water in 5 days or less. This has been almost 2 full weeks. I’m trying to not fall back on old habits.
Each battle is it's own battle. Last time may have been a 1 day slam VS 5 day whatever you did. I promise you that any battle is worse when using dump and pray as the method. :)

*also worth noting.

On previous battles, you never proved they were over with an OCLT like you will this year.

You stopped at clear water which seemed fine, but algae is microscopic and can only be seen once it's a full blown runaway train. You could have gone the whole season on the fence with it just waiting to explode at the first extra sunny day or storm. Maybe you successfully kept it at bay some years, maybe you had seemingly random cloudiness/ clarity issues on other years. In short, even if it entirely worked, you were lucky.

This year, you will *know* it's gone, and you will easily keep it that way. :)

Thank you for the encouragement. I’m used to opening the pool, tossing in 4 to 5 gal of liquid chlorine, 6oz of algaecide and having crystal clear water in 5 days or less. This has been almost 2 full weeks. I’m trying to not fall back on old habits.

Don't forget that this wasn't any pool opening. Had to deal with that more or less blindsided, waiting for the test kit. I know it's tempting to just do what you were always doing. But once you are through this and are settling into your new routines, you won't look back. You will get a new understanding what a clear pool actually looks like.

Back to SWGs: When moving, would you only go for places with pool or install one? You might be able to take a SWG with you.

And when moving only in a couple of years, you might have your investment returned already with the current prices of chlorine.

@Newdude is pretty hands on with running down the costs and calculating when you would break even. And don't forget how much easier it would make pool maintenance.

I think I'd fill in my pool without a SWG. If it breaks down, I won't hesitate for a second to order a new one straight away. It's literally like not replacing a broken washing machine because I could theoretically wash our clothes by hand. Not an option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*also worth noting.

On previous battles, you never proved they were over with an OCLT like you will this year.

You stopped at clear water which seemed fine, but algae is microscopic and can only be seen once it's a full blown runaway train. You could have gone the whole season on the fence with it just waiting to explode at the first extra sunny day or storm. Maybe you successfully kept it at bay some years, maybe you had seemingly random cloudiness/ clarity issues on other years. In short, even if it entirely worked, you were lucky.

This year, you will *know* it's gone, and you will easily keep it that way. :)
Very true. I think the old method has built up and led me to where I am now with the pool.

I just got home from work and ran my tests.
FC 7.5
CC I’d say between .5 - 1 It was almost completely clear after 1 drop but had to put 2nd one in

TA 110
PH. Well I’m having a very hard time reading test but I can say it went WAYYY up. I did it with both test kits.

Attachments

• IMG_9937.jpeg
    IMG_9937.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9936.jpeg
    IMG_9936.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 11
Don't forget that this wasn't any pool opening. Had to deal with that more or less blindsided, waiting for the test kit. I know it's tempting to just do what you were always doing. But once you are through this and are settling into your new routines, you won't look back. You will get a new understanding what a clear pool actually looks like.

Back to SWGs: When moving, would you only go for places with pool or install one? You might be able to take a SWG with you.

And when moving only in a couple of years, you might have your investment returned already with the current prices of chlorine.

@Newdude is pretty hands on with running down the costs and calculating when you would break even. And don't forget how much easier it would make pool maintenance.

I think I'd fill in my pool without a SWG. If it breaks down, I won't hesitate for a second to order a new one straight away. It's literally like not replacing a broken washing machine because I could theoretically wash our clothes by hand. Not an option.
how are SWG on plaster pools? We are looking to move to Florida in a yr or so. I’d like to buy a house that already has a pool but would put my own in if the house didn’t have one

how are SWG on plaster pools?
SWGs are amazing on any pool.
We are looking to move to Florida in a yr or so
I was going to run your return on investment #s but it's a moot point now. Hit me up when you find a house you like and I'll break down the SWG cost savings based upon gallons of pool water.

I was going to run your return on investment #s but it's a moot point now. Hit me up when you find a house you like and I'll break down the SWG cost savings based upon gallons of pool water.

She mentioned that they wanted to move in the next couple of years. My point was that they might get their return if investment by then. Or just take the SWG with them. Of course, when moving in a few months, then not worth bothering.

how are SWG on plaster pools? We are looking to move to Florida in a yr or so. I’d like to buy a house that already has a pool but would put my own in if the house didn’t have one

They are great with plaster pools. All this scare that SWGs are bad for plaster is just PB hogwash. They probably just want a get out of jail card when doing a bad plaster job. "It's not bad plastering, it's the salt. I'm not paying to get that replastered!"

Most plaster problems are caused by bad workmanship. They will always try to blame salt, water chemistry, what ever. There are many examples where TFP helped pool owners to debunk "bad chemistry" claims from pool builders and get them to honour their warranty responsibility.

US SWGs want salt around 3500ppm, that's ten times below sea water, you just start tasting it faintly. Most "chlorine pools" have accumulated comparable chloride levels after a couple of seasons anyway. Why not just make use of that chloride.

SWGs in Australia run between 4000-5000. No PB or pool shop here would even consider suggesting to not go salt when building a plaster pool. It's just what we do here. People here don't want to fuss about their pools, they just want to use them.

She mentioned that they wanted to move in the next couple of years
It got shortened to a year or so.

But OK FINE !!!!!

*cracks knuckles*

Each gallon of 10% gets 5 FC in 20k gallons.

It'll cost you $6.12 per gallon out the door at Walmart. That's $1.22 per FC.

A circupool RJ45+ can be had for $1294.92 out the door. It will produce 12 FC per 24 hours for you, or conservatively 5000 FC lifetime. (Using 10k hours instead of the 15k they claim. If it lasts 10k+, it's even more gravy).

5000 FC is 1000 Walmart jugs, which would cost $6124 out the door. Let's say you get totally hosed with paying a pro $2k to install the cell, it's half the cost. With a fair install price, it's closer to 1/3 the cost of bleach.

Replacement cells are a 10 min DIY swap and only need the cell without the install costs or controller. They'll pay back 6X+

Very true. I think the old method has built up and led me to where I am now with the pool.

I just got home from work and ran my tests.
FC 7.5
CC I’d say between .5 - 1 It was almost completely clear after 1 drop but had to put 2nd one in

TA 110
PH. Well I’m having a very hard time reading test but I can say it went WAYYY up. I did it with both test kits.

Which pH test is which? I guess the more purpely looking one is the non-TF kit. Taylor reagents (that TF is using) tolerate chlorine up to 10ppm, others get affected earlier.

Since you are below 10 FC now, I would bring pH back down below 7.5, if you have muriatic acid at hand. Otherwise don't bother for now, maintaining SLAM has priority now.

But if you don't have any, I would buy some muriatic acid, you will need it.

Which pH test is which? I guess the more purpely looking one is the non-TF kit. Taylor reagents (that TF is using) tolerate chlorine up to 10ppm, others get affected earlier.

Since you are below 10 FC now, I would bring pH back down below 7.5, if you have muriatic acid at hand. Otherwise don't bother for now, maintaining SLAM has priority now.

But if you don't have any, I would buy some muriatic acid, you will need it.
The 1st pic with red cap is TF kit the 2nd pic is the one I bought over the weekend. I can’t tell if it’s 7.8 or higher than that.

Muratic acid is kind of scary to use, in my opinion. I’d Be afraid to get it on myself. LOL. Can I use a dry acid? I have 1/2 a bag left from last summer.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Muratic acid is kind of scary to use, in my opinion. I’d Be afraid to get it on myself
It's not like that at all. Respect it, of course. But you can rinse right in the pool, calmly, if you catch a drop. A very quick dip and wipe is all it takes to dilute.

I will finish what I'm doing, go to the driveway to throw the bottle out, passing 2 hoses on the way, then go inside to wash with soap.

*then* someone here taught me to mostly sink the bottle so there'd be no splashing. I poured waist high for years like a clown. I don't even need to casually go wash anymore.

It got shortened to a year or so.

But OK FINE !!!!!

*cracks knuckles*

Each gallon of 10% gets 5 FC in 20k gallons.

It'll cost you $6.12 per gallon out the door at Walmart. That's $1.22 per FC.

A circupool RJ45+ can be had for $1294.92 out the door. It will produce 12 FC per 24 hours for you, or conservatively 5000 FC lifetime. (Using 10k hours instead of the 15k they claim. If it lasts 10k+, it's even more gravy).

5000 FC is 1000 Walmart jugs, which would cost $6124 out the door. Let's say you get totally hosed with paying a pro $2k to install the cell, it's half the cost. With a fair install price, it's closer to 1/3 the cost of bleach.

Replacement cells are a 10 min DIY swap and only need the cell without the install costs or controller. They'll pay back 6X+
With our property taxes going up again, we feel the sooner we get out of Illinois the better. Hard though when you have elderly parents and you’re the only child that still lives close to them.

But I will definitely do SWG in our next house. I think it’s more economical and easier to maintain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support