0 CYA and 0 FC. Need advise

Time to get this thread back on track for the OP's sake.

@LovinPoolLife - post current test results.
You still haven't linked PoolMath to your forum account that I can see.
I did click to link it. But I was only able to post my numbers in there once. To post more, it wants me to subscribe. So I’ve just been writing them down

This mornings numbers
FC 11.5. Then after about 5 or so hrs in the sun it went to 7.5.
CC 1. pH 7.6. TA 110. It’s still hazy/slightly cloudy in the deep end. I’m growing impatient and feel like pouring 2 gallons of shock in tonight to kill whatever is still in the water. 😞

Hi I’m sorry for not emailing yesterday. I just sent it now. With working and the. Playing with my new test kit when I got home, the day just got away from me. Thank you for taking care of this for me.
Thank you Nate, I received my new bottle for the alkalinity test today.

I did click to link it. But I was only able to post my numbers in there once. To post more, it wants me to subscribe. So I’ve just been writing them down

Yes, the free version allows only one log. Honestly, the few dollars a year for the subscription are absolutely worth it. The app is great, having these logs and being able to share them makes trouble shooting much easier. The payment is a great way to support TFP, ensure that the app keeps improving and bugs getting cleaned up, allows the servers to run and keep the forum add-free.

+1. $8 a year is peanuts. When things go south, we see your history and can often reverse engineer where it went wrong. Or we can spot a trend and stop a disaster from happening altogether.

Or if you wonder how last year compares to this year (no two are the same because weather), it's all there.

This mornings numbers
CC 1. pH 7.6. TA 110. It’s still hazy/slightly cloudy in the deep end. I’m growing impatient and feel like pouring 2 gallons of shock in tonight to kill whatever is still in the water. 😞
If your CYA is 30, SLAM level is 12
If your CYA is 40, SLAM level is 16

Be sure to keep it at SLAM level at least several times daily. No need to drag your SLAM out any longer than necessary.

Don’t just dump and pray - stay the course!
Impatience won’t help.

Even if bleach fell drastically and it was a wash financially, then we'd discuss the convienence being a hands down win. Lol.
Absolutely. Our pool came with an SWG, I don't know any different. And I don't want to know any different.

Reactions: Newdude

This mornings numbers

Problem is that it won't kill everything. SLAMs are painful, and yours is extra painful because you had to deal with the ammonia first, so I get that you feel a bit deflated.

Keep going, you'll get there :)

Problem is that it won't kill everything. SLAMs are painful, and yours is extra painful because you had to deal with the ammonia first, so I get that you feel a bit deflated.

Keep going, you'll get there :)
I was just going to say this!
@LovinPoolLife - When you have ammonia at the start of the season and you’re coming from a history of pool store chems, it will never be a fast fix. It’s painful and slow cleaning it all up and getting your pool to a truly balanced place. But know for certain once you have it properly balanced you will never have to deal with this long of a headache again so long as you stick to TFPC. Like I told you, my first post here 13 years ago was a nightmare for ammonia, and it took us a month or more before we finally had it under control. Remember? 90+ gallons of bleach to clear our nightmare. You’re actually facing less of a disaster than we did so take solace in that! You are almost there. We haven’t really had swimmable weather yet so you’ve had the time. 😊 Think how frustrated you would feel if it was mid-June and you found TFP and started then. You have lots to feel relieved over, don’t let two weeks overshadow that.

Keep it at SLAM levels for your CYA level until it is crystal clear. Don’t let it drop below or you waste a day.

If your CYA is 30, SLAM level is 12
If your CYA is 40, SLAM level is 16

Be sure to keep it at SLAM level at least several times daily. No need to drag your SLAM out any longer than necessary.

Don’t just dump and pray - stay the course!
Impatience won’t help.
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Reactions: LovinPoolLife

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its getting exhausting
This isn't going to be much consolation at the moment, but I promise you that you want this battle now, and not in July when algae is growing exponentially faster.

You're doing amazing. Stay the course. :)

I was just going to say this!
@LovinPoolLife - When you have ammonia at the start of the season and you’re coming from a history of pool store chems, it will never be a fast fix. It’s painful and slow cleaning it all up and getting your pool to a truly balanced place. But know for certain once you have it properly balanced you will never have to deal with this long of a headache again so long as you stick to TFPC. Like I told you, my first post here 13 years ago was a nightmare for ammonia, and it took us a month or more before we finally had it under control. Remember? 90+ gallons of bleach to clear our nightmare. You’re actually facing less of a disaster than we did so take solace in that! You are almost there. We haven’t really had swimmable weather yet so you’ve had the time. 😊 Think how frustrated you would feel if it was mid-June and you found TFP and started then. You have lots to feel relieved over, don’t let two weeks overshadow that.

Keep it at SLAM levels for your CYA level until it is crystal clear. Don’t let it drop below or you waste a day.
I try to keep it at slam level but it’s hard when I work, as I’m gone for 9 1/2 hrs. The pool was stating to get a lot better until I used my manual vacuum. Then it got cloudy in the deep end and went from CC 5 to CC 1. I wasn’t sure if that was what caused it, since we did get a lot of rain last week. But I used the manual vacuum again yesterday and it clouded up again and CC went to 1 again. Not to mention I lost more FC throughout the day after using that stupid manual vac. Needless to say, it’s now in the garbage!! I feel like I keep starting over. I can’t wait til this process is done lol. I’ve used sooo much chlorine, it’s insane. I’ve started working OT just to cover the extra cost.

This isn't going to be much consolation at the moment, but I promise you that you want this battle now, and not in July when algae is growing exponentially faster.

You're doing amazing. Stay the course. :)
Thank you for the encouragement Newdude. I feel defeated and exhausted with it, to be honest. And I just want my crystal clear pool water back. I’ve spent so much money on a ton of chlorine. Way more than I thought it would take. The deep end, which is only 6 1/2’ of water still has a hazy/cloudyness to it. I don’t know why it won’t get better. My PH and Alkalinity seem great.

I feel defeated and exhausted with it, to be honest. And I just want my crystal clear pool water back. I’ve spent so much money on a ton of chlorine. Way more than I thought it would take
Remember that this has likely been brewing for seasons. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but that bill was coming due eventually.

Rome wasn't SLAMed in a day, they say. 😁

Refresh my memory because we're 14 pages deep....... have you been adding DE to the sand filter ?

Remember that this has likely been brewing for seasons. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but that bill was coming due eventually.

Rome wasn't SLAMed in a day, they say. 😁

Refresh my memory because we're 14 pages deep....... have you been adding DE to the sand filter ?
No, I have not added DE to sand filter.

Read up and ask away as always, if needed

We just had the sand changed a little over a yr ago. I have been backwashing daily. But during normal pool season, I backwash every Friday.

Reactions: Newdude
We just had the sand changed a little over a yr ago
I like getting in there once a year. We had a member the other day with a half empty sand filter from years of backwashing. It may not have been at 50% efficient, but it certainly wasn't at 100%.

Try some DE and if it clogs the filter fairly quick, then we know it's working. What happens is a dirty filter works better to a point, because the crud it traps filters even finer crud. So DE jump starts you to the end where the sand filter is working quick. But you could need a backwash in just a few minutes or a couple hours depending, so only add DE when you're around to pay attention.

We just had the sand changed a little over a yr ago. I have been backwashing daily. But during normal pool season, I backwash every Friday.
You only need to backwash when psi rises 25% over clean pressure.
A slightly dirty sand filter works better.

I try to keep it at slam level but it’s hard when I work, as I’m gone for 9 1/2 hrs. The pool was stating to get a lot better until I used my manual vacuum. Then it got cloudy in the deep end and went from CC 5 to CC 1. I wasn’t sure if that was what caused it, since we did get a lot of rain last week. But I used the manual vacuum again yesterday and it clouded up again and CC went to 1 again. Not to mention I lost more FC throughout the day after using that stupid manual vac. Needless to say, it’s now in the garbage!! I feel like I keep starting over. I can’t wait til this process is done lol. I’ve used sooo much chlorine, it’s insane. I’ve started working OT just to cover the extra cost.

How were you vacuuming and which type of manual vacuum were you using?

Vacuuming shouldn't make thing worse. Gentle movement to not stir up any debris settled on the pool floor, but suck it in instead.

If it comes out again through the water returns then your filter has problems filtering. As already mentioned, a slightly dirty sand filter actually works better, and too frequent backwashing can be counterproductive.

A little bit of DE added to a sand filter as suggested above can be very beneficial in this stage of a SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support