0 chlorine level in pool

Jul 11, 2017
Bethpage
30 above ground pool. Currently the water is crystal clear and I run my filter for 12 hours a day I've been noticing that my free chlorine levels have been going down. I've been getting my water tested and they tell me that the cya is 80% and that I have no free chlorine. I shock the pool at night and in the morning before I go to work I test the water and there is zero chlorine what do I do? Please help

Welcome to TFP.
What are you using to shock and sanitize your pool? Sometimes they contain CYA which in the end over stabilizes your pool, making it real tough to keep up your FC.
What are you using to test your water?
Please take time to hit the settings button above and update your signature, stating what pool size is and equipment you are using, that info really helps.

30 above ground pool. Currently the water is crystal clear and I run my filter for 12 hours a day I've been noticing that my free chlorine levels have been going down. I've been getting my water tested and they tell me that the cya is 80% and that I have no free chlorine. I shock the pool at night and in the morning before I go to work I test the water and there is zero chlorine what do I do? Please help

Welcome to TFP :)

We as a general rule don't trust pool store testing over your own testing with a good test kit. Especially CYA from a pool store. I think you meant 80ppm on CYA?

Here are some reading links for you

Pool School - Test Kits Compared
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

As Stated above, your pool may have too much CYA and a bit of an algae problem causing your FC to be consumed quickly or if you don't have enough CYA, the sun will burn it off quickly.

i am a new member and just had the same exact problem which led to me draining my pool. if you are using tricolor or dichlor to sanitize it is probably the cya like LFrankow says.

my pool store told me i could go well over 100 with cya before worrying and that is simply a lie. my pool was crystal clear and all chemicals read good except cya and the chlorine simply won't work.

test your cya with a good kit. read the cya/chlorine table and use bleach. bleach doesn't add anything stabilizer.

my pool is perfect now and very balanced since draining and using bleach.

Excellent on the bleach for shock ;)
I am really curious as to your CYA level still though, 80% could be 80ppm but one never knows.
Read through the links AimeeH posted, I still do a few times a year as this old grey head doesn't hold info so well anymore.
A good approved test kit should be the first order of the day, that way you take total control of your pool, like me and so many others have. Sometimes up to ten a day if you read the algae forums.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.