Intex SWG

First, the info in this Forum has been excellent! I have learned so much.

I have ordered an Intex SWG which should arrive this week. The pictures of setups have been so helpful. My sand filter has a top mount Multiport valve with all the plumbing up high which connects straight across to the pool return (ABG 24' X 52"). Do I need to install the SWG that high? Will there be any problems if I put it closer to the ground and have the pipes go down and then back up? (I hope that makes sense.) Thanks in advance for your help!

This is how I placed mine. The hose from the pump to the sand filter is off due to it springing a leak at 48hrs old. Pool store exchanged, no questions asked. Sorry for the odd angle, took the pic from the deck. The 'table' is about 24" tall.

Attachments

• DSC00093.JPG
    DSC00093.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 788
Re:

kimrst said:
We have had our frame set pool for over 3 years and I still love it. But I'd upgrade my filter if I could. The filters on the pools are usually barely adaquet, IMHO. Buy extra filters whenever you see them as they become scarse after it gets hot out. I don't know about the SWG as we just use pucks and chlorine. I am going to add something to the bottem of the feet of my ladder so it doesn't ruin the liner of the pool with all the putting in and taking out that we do. Maybe a pair of kids water shoes? Good luck with the pool you are going to love it . Kimrst

I am going to add something to the bottom of the feet of my ladder so it doesn't ruin the liner of the pool with all the putting in and taking out that we do. Maybe a pair of kids water shoes?

has this worked for you? any other suggestions?

I would also like to add, I have had two swg from intex ... the combo pump swg and the plain swg and they both crapped the bed. constant 91 error even with correct salt level and high salt level on BOTH ...

I am very disappointed with my swg's ... working on warranty claim replacements to see if they are better.

anyone else deal with the 91 low salt error on these?

mrsray said:
I would also like to add, I have had two swg from intex ... the combo pump swg and the plain swg and they both crapped the bed. constant 91 error even with correct salt level and high salt level on BOTH ...

I am very disappointed with my swg's ... working on warranty claim replacements to see if they are better.

I used my Intex for this entire season, and never encountered a low salt error, or any error, for that matter.

I used my Intex for this entire season, and never encountered a low salt error, or any error, for that matter.

WOW, that's great ... I wish mine worked that good. Can you tell me, do you keep yours from rain getting on it or anything for tips you might be able to share?

mrsray said:

WOW, that's great ... I wish mine worked that good. Can you tell me, do you keep yours from rain getting on it or anything for tips you might be able to share?

I wish I did have some tips to share, but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, I'm afraid. Mine sat out by my pump/filter, exposed to the elements, and I'd run it maybe 4 hours a day. I did have to adjust my salt level intially, as it was too high from last year (used a ChlorEase SWG last year) but after that, it worked flawlessly. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hi Everyone, I have just set up a 15' Round Cedar Above Ground Pool and originally bought an Intex Saltwater System with Filter. After I set up the pool, I decided to go with a sand filter; so, my Intex in still in the box. I have a question. I have been told that it is ok to add the Intex as well; but, I am wondering if this would be overkill for such a small pool. Especially, since the Intex was $350 and the sand filter was $450! Couldn't I just monitor the salt content without the Intex system? Or, can the cartridge filter in the Intex be removed and just use the swg? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think kdeweeh is referring to the combination unit (filter & SWG). I have one of those that ran flawlessly all last year. There would be no problem with just not putting the filter in and running the SWG as required. Just not too sure how it will pass water from your other pump / filter when the cycle times off.

This brings me to my next question, has anyone separated the filter / SWG on the combined units? I am thinking of building some custom controls to allow the pump portion to run about 8-12 hours per day & only have the SWG on for 3 hours per day. This is not possible with the current unit, with out cycling the power etc. I am looking for something along the lines of wiring diagrams / schematics etc. The controls part i will do myself.

I will be attemping to fully automate the SWG to maintain a level I set etc. I plan to be able to control this from my PC. If there is already something like this out there, can someone please point me in that direction.

Thanks. :wave:

I was looking on eBay and found this Intex SWG.

It seems like a good deal. The auction says its model 56601. It also says this model is new for '09. Is there any truth to this? If there is, what's the difference?

One last thing. How much chlorine does this put out compared to how much a hot tub would use during a soak? Our spa is connected to the pool and I'm trying to figure out where I would put the cell to make it work well. Also, do you think it's possible to disconnect the cell from the body to make it easier to plumb?

Thanks,
Adam

As to how much chlorine this Intex produces, here is a link to some info Jason gave for chlorine and bleach usages.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-swg-w-inground-pool-t8884.html
This model looks exactly like the previous one. My experience is that these units perform well, if they had a more complex control system(including pump) they would be perfect for me. Most(ALL!) VCR's have better programming ability than these, and can stay programmed through short power outages (these can't.)

I've got one of these apart, and if I get time I'll take some pictures to post (much junk has accumulated in the storage room on top of it :oops: ) It is easy to separate the parts by removing the screws, but the short cords won't allow you much room to move them. The 50' power cord can be cut to make a longer cell connector, but may affect conductivity tests (salt level.) As it is, I am planning to make my own controls, and use what parts I can(cell, transformer,switching circuits, flow meter) and add in pump control, too. I will probably leave out conductivity(salt concentration,) as there are fuses in place for over-current protection; I have test strips that are more accurate.

donnest,
What kind of controls are you thinking? I have an Arduino that I plan to use- like piku did in his pool automation project-
http://www.atari-source.org/poolcontrol
I am not making much progress with the NSLU2 part, but you can program the arduino as a stand alone, and I'll add the other stuff later.

Having the power maintained by an APC UPS would solve the loss of programmed run time, but even without loss of power, the clock can't keep time - it loses ~15 minutes/day! My pump time clock keeps good time and starts at the same time every day, but the SWG would start earlier each day. Without resetting, it would eventually start before the pump, and halt on a low flow error.

My plan is to utilize the SWG flowmeter as protection for the pump, too. If the arduino doesn't see flow within a programmed prime time, it can stop the pump before it burns up.

New2Me said:
Having the power maintained by an APC UPS would solve the loss of programmed run time, but even without loss of power, the clock can't keep time - it loses ~15 minutes/day! My pump time clock keeps good time and starts at the same time every day, but the SWG would start earlier each day. Without resetting, it would eventually start before the pump, and halt on a low flow error.

My plan is to utilize the SWG flowmeter as protection for the pump, too. If the arduino doesn't see flow within a programmed prime time, it can stop the pump before it burns up.

What kind of clock does Intex have? If it's mechanical, double check that the power source frequency is correct, i.e 50 or 60 Hz
If you are running wrong frequency it would be either losing time or running faster, depending on which way around it is. If that's not the case then it's just a bad clock.

I feel pretty sure that it's an electronic timer built into the unit, and not a mechanical clock. The timer starts when you program in the run time you want, and supposedly will start up at the same time every day, but I've heard from others that the timer's not all that accurate. Hmmm..think we could get them to incorporate an atomic clock into the design? :lol: Seems like all I see anymore are atomic clocks in everything from watches to alarm clocks.

Hi :)

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share what a wealth of knowledge it was! I'm planning on getting one of these this year and it answered alot of my questions.

Does anyone else have anything more to add now that it's been a while etc. Also the cheapest place I've seen these is Amazon and I'm not entirely able to pick out which ones have the pump and which ones don't. I don't want the pump just the generator.

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting it!

ETA : http://www.amazon.com/INTEX-Saltwater-C ... d_sbs_hi_3 is this the correct one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.