Intex SWG

Last year I ran mine sitting on the deck, and put it away when people we were using the pool. This was a convenient, but somewhat awkward and risky set-up. I decided that this year I wanted a more Trouble Free pool, so I mounted it a little more out-of-the way.
[attachment=1:3jxkkjf0]on_deck.jpg[/attachment:3jxkkjf0]
I'm lucky in that an un-connected third return was installed when my pool was built, probably for future use of a pressure side cleaner? Anyway, I cut the return open in the pool and installed an "eye", then attached a 1.5" male threaded fitting on the stub sticking out of the ground at the equipment pad.[attachment=0:3jxkkjf0]return.jpg[/attachment:3jxkkjf0][attachment=2:3jxkkjf0]before SWG.jpg[/attachment:3jxkkjf0]

Then I installed a "T" with another threaded male fitting pointing up in the return line, after the heater, and before the tablet feeder output.

Attachments

• before SWG.jpg
    before SWG.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 478
  • on_deck.jpg
    on_deck.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 474
  • return.jpg
    return.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 476
Three picture limit reached.
I used a 2" hole saw and made grooves for O-rings in two 1.5" x 2" bushings[attachment=2:31os5aif]Oring.jpg[/attachment:31os5aif][attachment=1:31os5aif]oring1.jpg[/attachment:31os5aif] that I then attached to the 1.5" male fittings installed earlier. The Intex couplers are NOT pipe threads, so they only go on a few turns before topping out. That is not tight enough to compress the O-ring without increasing the thickness of the flexible hose mounting flange. I found that pushing back the coupling nut on the hose, and installing a 12 gauge wire "ring" did the job.

Attachments

• Oring.jpg
    Oring.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 472
  • oring1.jpg
    oring1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 473
  • oring2.jpg
    oring2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 473
This is the end result.
[attachment=2:yrhchjbw]swg.jpg[/attachment:yrhchjbw][attachment=1:yrhchjbw]swg1.jpg[/attachment:yrhchjbw][attachment=0:yrhchjbw]Working.jpg[/attachment:yrhchjbw]

In case anyone was wondering, I usually don't use the Hayward feeder, unless I am going to be away for a while.

Attachments

• swg.jpg
    swg.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 466
  • swg1.jpg
    swg1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 465
  • Working.jpg
    Working.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 467
frustratedpoolmom said:
I just saw the Intex SWG units on clearance at my local Toys R Us for $179, they had at least 15 units.

Boy was I tempted.... :mrgreen:

Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated....

Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces.gif

Re: Intex SWG on a big pool?

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but not new to pools. Just the Intex SWG. Anyway...we have had one of the Intex Easy Set Frame pools (16 x 48) going for 4 years now....this summer we added the SWG in late May...It has run great all summer, and our water has been awesome. Our kids love it, and we do too.

Now, to my BIG question. My family has outgrown our "little pool" and we just bought a 33' round above ground pool that is also 52" tall. My question is can I use my intex SWG on this big of pool successfully? I sure hope so, cuz I love the thing. We are thinking of selling our old intex pool to the neighbors who want to buy it, but I really don't want to sell the SWG, and use it on our new pool. The new pool is coming with an inline chlorinator that you put chlorine "pucks" in and I guess it's fairly easy to use from what the pool place tells me, but I really want to stick with my salt and SWG.

Any help and/or advice would be great.

Thanks
Dan

Re: Intex SWG on a big pool?

flyweed said:
Hi everyone,

I am new here, but not new to pools. Just the Intex SWG. Anyway...we have had one of the Intex Easy Set Frame pools (16 x 48) going for 4 years now....this summer we added the SWG in late May...It has run great all summer, and our water has been awesome. Our kids love it, and we do too.

Now, to my BIG question. My family has outgrown our "little pool" and we just bought a 33' round above ground pool that is also 52" tall. My question is can I use my intex SWG on this big of pool successfully? I sure hope so, cuz I love the thing. We are thinking of selling our old intex pool to the neighbors who want to buy it, but I really don't want to sell the SWG, and use it on our new pool. The new pool is coming with an inline chlorinator that you put chlorine "pucks" in and I guess it's fairly easy to use from what the pool place tells me, but I really want to stick with my salt and SWG.

Any help and/or advice would be great.

Thanks
Dan

The manual only gives directions for up to 14,000 gals of water,and your new pool will hold about 25,600 gals, but I'd give it a shot and see if you can maintain your FC with the Intex. If not, you'll have to go with another source of chlorination, whether it be liquid chlorine or a bigger SWCG. FWIW, I wouldn't use the inline chlorinator except for extended absences (vacations, etc.). Using trichlor pucks can cause your CYA level to get too high, resulting in an overstabilized pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think it would work - I thought I read some posts of 24' round pools that only had to run the Intex for 2-3 hours to maintain the proper level - so a little bit longer run time would work I would think?

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

yup...that was me FPM :-D ...now that summer is in full swing and the water has warmed up nicely in NY, I keep my CYA at 70 and run the intex swg on the 4hr setting (I was previously getting away with 2-3 hrs b/c we used the solar cover alot more often).

FC has constantly been around 6.5. Given the swg can be set to run for up to 12 hours, I would think it could handle double the amount of water. My vote is that it is definately worth a try...if anything even if it falls short, you'll just have to add a smidgen of bleach here and there.

Here is a link to how I got mine plumbed in...just used some cheap pvc adapter form home depot

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

From the photos above, you can see that I'm using it on my 24,000 gal. inground pool. Run time varies between 4-7 hours, depending on what Mother Nature does, and how far ahead the timer gets. :grrrr:

Thanks everyone for such quick responses. I'll give it a try and see how it does on my new pool. Like I said in my previous post..I love this little machine, and it has done wonders for our 16' pool this summer..I've only added salt one time since I initially started it up.

dman..what are those adaptors that you got from Home Depot? I'll have to do something like that with mine to plumb it into my return on the new pool. I could possibly remove the inline chlorinator and put the SWG there, or I could keep the inline chlorinator attached to the system and just not use it, unless I have to later on.....what do you guys think?

Dan

I'd keep it in, if you have the space. If you take it out, you may want it back in, and what else would you do with it anyway? The 1.5 -> 2 inch male adapter will somewhat fit on the Intex, but you will need to seal it with something, as there is a difference between the Intex straight-cut threads, and the adapters pipe threads. PTFE pipe thread sealant might work. Good Luck!!

Ok....thanks for all the input. I'll plumb my Intex SWG into the plumbing after the inline chlorinator and stuff, and give it a try..what can it hurt right? So how much salt do you think I'll need to start up the pool that's 33' round and 52" deep??

Thanks
Dan

According to the PC (Pool Calc) you'll need 615 lbs of salt to bring it to 3000ppm or 513 lbs for 2500 if you're starting at zero(0). If it's other than zero you can use the PC to figure out how much you need.

FYI...just found the intex swg from the ebay seller I bought mine from for $145 shipped

item# 350102151632

Just figured I would let you all know...I may try and pick up a spare

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.