SWG and Maintenance.

aberberich

Oct 25, 2021
Dayton, OH
Hello,
I've been maintaining my non salt water pool to TFB standards for 3+ years now. Its worked really well and I've had almost no issues outside the hassle of adding chlorine every other day. Recently I've been considering upgrading to a SWG based pool. I couldn't find many cons when researching. However one con I saw consistently is that the salt cells require professional maintenance to keep them running. Is this true? If so how often? Is there anything else I should be concerned or worried about before making the switch. I've been thankful to find TFB as you all have never steered me wrong in keeping my pool crystal clear. It seems like SWG just makes my life even easier with little downside.

Thank you!

Adam

Hello,
However one con I saw consistently is that the salt cells require professional maintenance to keep them running. Is this true? If so how often?

Never.

Is there anything else I should be concerned or worried about before making the switch. I

You will wonder why you did not do it sooner.

I would agree…no maintenance needed on mine for 3 years now since pool was built. I do open it once mid season when the light goes off for maintenance but never had to do anything to it. I even opened it today before opening pool soon and no build up at all on the cell. Been happy with it.

Hello,
I've been maintaining my non salt water pool to TFB standards for 3+ years now. Its worked really well and I've had almost no issues outside the hassle of adding chlorine every other day. Recently I've been considering upgrading to a SWG based pool. I couldn't find many cons when researching. However one con I saw consistently is that the salt cells require professional maintenance to keep them running. Is this true? If so how often? Is there anything else I should be concerned or worried about before making the switch. I've been thankful to find TFB as you all have never steered me wrong in keeping my pool crystal clear. It seems like SWG just makes my life even easier with little downside.

Thank you!

Adam
Just to pile on, they dont require any cleaning if the water chemistry is kept in check. I havent needed to clean mine at all since 2020. Havent heard of that “con” before.

All pro, no con.
With that said, you will want to manage CSI (which is not something you've ever thought about with a vinyl pool). CSI is important to avoid scale in the actual SWCG cell. Scale is easily remedied with diluted acid, but you want to avoid ever having to clean them to prolong their life. Scale is easily avoided.

Vinyl pools don't need calcium so there will be no scaling. Most locations up north have soft fill water so CH won't come from there either.

@aberberich the only downside is that you waited this long. :)

Didn't realize there was a need for a Professional SWG Maintenance Kit
They have caps and a stand so it's easier to fill the SWG with acid. Which OP won't *ever* need to do. But the industry will reccomend the acid bath every 3 months anyway.

Vinyl pools don't need calcium so there will be no scaling. Most locations up north have soft fill water so CH won't come from there either.

@aberberich the only downside is that you waited this long. :)

Unless they have a gas heater, then you would want 200 ppm. I don't assume all signatures are complete.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support