Zero Pressure in filter and Air in pump? (maybe)

T-cup

Apr 30, 2018
Ottawa, Ontario
Hello!

Ok, I am going to attempt being thorough!

We opened our pool about a week ago, and we just bought the place so this is really our first season with it.

-We were working on clearing it up which consisted of vacuuming etc when over about 12 hours the pressure in the filter dropped from about 10 psi (clean) to zero. It still has flow through but it wasn't enough for the vacuum to get suction and feels less strong out of the return.

-We recently installed a new filter and swg, and i'm suspecting the pressure gauge is still ok. Our pump is an older jacuzzi magnum, and my original suspicion was that it developed a crappy seal from me cleaning out the pump basket occasionally. I replaced the pump o ring as it was visibly cracked etc. (and yes used silicone lube and followed advice from this forum!) This doesn't seem to have helped.

-There is also a large air bubble in the pump, not sure how normal that is because it WASN'T there before i started messing around with things.

-We also tried using a bladder on the hose to clear from the pump up the skimmer on the intake lines in case it was a blockage. Either there isn't a blockage or we couldn't get enough pressure to clear it.

-I couldn't find any "air release valves."

- i've attached some photos, hopefully they help, but maybe they wont.

I have an appointment on Wednesday with a pool company to "blow out the lines" but i'm wondering is there anything else i can try? Or any ideas?

Would love to be able to start swimming (even if it's a bit chilly!)
Thanks!!

One thing you could check is the pump impeller, turn power off remove basket and see if you can feel any debris blocking impeller veins. If you can't reach with fingers try a pair of needle nose pliers.

Good idea! I forgot about that one! That one gets me every leaf drop! I end up taking off the basket to really get to them. If you do this make sure you pump is turned off AND the breaker to it is off. Don't want to lose any fingers!

Kim:kim:

Good idea! I forgot about that one! That one gets me every leaf drop! I end up taking off the basket to really get to them. If you do this make sure you pump is turned off AND the breaker to it is off. Don't want to lose any fingers!

Kim:kim:

I will go do this right now!!
I don't know if the filter clean is necessary though, it's only a week old? It's done some hard work but it's brand new!

Kim,
Our pool was in rough shape when we got it, so i think it was just overload. They went through both baskets during vacuum, but i guess were skinny enough to fit through. The hairnet idea is GENIUS and i am going to check out amazon.ca right now!!(i think they were even cheaper in CAD! already ordered)
Thanks so much for all the help!
having a pool is completely new to us and this site has helped LOADS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.