Zero Free Chlorine and SLAM not working

Aarthur

Oct 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Hello! Brand new to pool ownership and my dad recommended TFP. We have been reading zero FC for well over a week now. Prior to this we had added some Leslie’s Perfect Weekly and Ultra Bright that had been left behind by the previous owners, in addition to cleaning the sides with a magic eraser—all of this per the marked instructions and prior to discovering TFP. When the problem began we drained some and added fresh water per recommendation from previous owner who said the CYA was high when he left. CYA is about 40 and PH 7.0-7.2 but still zero FC. Yesterday we practiced the SLAM process using powdered Clorox dichlor (all we can find easily around here). Maybe we are doing it wrong but it is still reading next to no FC. How long does one need to continue SLAMing generally? How do we determine what is eating up all the chlorine? Any suggestions on what to do next? TIA

Hello and welcome to TFP! You have found a wonderful spot to learn how to care for your pool. Read the articles in the “Pool School” section. It will teach you exactly how to care for your pool and then you can ask questions here in the forum where people can help guide you through. First thing ...do you have a recommended test kit? Caring for your pool will depend on the results of each test. Test Kits Compared
Things like algae,leaves,bugs...etc. will deplete the chlorine. Also sunlight depletes the chlorine. Look for liquid chlorine at big box stores such as HomeDepot and Lowe’s...they generally keep it in the garden area. Watch the dates on the chlorine..it will degrade over time. A SLAM duration will depend on the contaminates in the water. Mine had gotten easier and easier as I have learned about my pool.
:wave:

Reactions: Aarthur
Welcome to TFP!

How are you testing the water? Do you have a test kit?

I'm not sure if you know this, but Dichlor will add CYA to the water that you just drained to lower. SLAM is best performed using liquid chlorine/bleach because it does not add CYA or Calcium, just salt. SLAM is also a process. You need to use enough bleach to bring your FC up to shock level and maintain it at that level until the criteria is passed. IF your CYA was at 40, the dichlor likely raised it and depending on how much dichlor was added, you might now have a higher shock level to maintain.

If you do not have your own reliable test kit, I'd recommend that you get one and add nothing but bleach to the water until it arrives. Use PoolMath to calculate 5 ppm chlorine for your pool volume and add that amount every day until your kit is delivered. Then run a full set of tests and post them in this thread. The experts here will be able to guide you through the rest of the process.

I use the TF-100 test kit, but the Taylor K2006C is also a good one. See this link to learn about the test kits recommended on this site: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Aarthur
my dad recommended TFP
A wise man indeed. :) Well, you can see the common theme here ...... having a proper test kit (i.e. the TF-100) and using those test results to maintain the proper FC SLAM level for the entire SLAM Process. Two other things I would ask are:
1 - When will you be closing the pool?
2 - You signature shows a Frog mineral system. Is that empty of any mineral packs? (We hope so).

Get back with us for any questions. We'll be glad to help. Welcome! :wave:

welcome,
One main ingredient above was failed to mention, A decision on your part needs to be made that your sticking to the TFP methodology and not going to the local pool store. The two can't coexist. Read all you can and come back with all questions you may have. In short order you can have a pool that will sparkle to your hearts content.

We plan on following TFP protocol (not pool store—geez I’ve already dropped some serious dough!) We removed any minerals that may have been remaining in the frog system. But we did plan on continuing to using it to chlorinate the pool—unless that is frowned upon. We will winterize on November 3 and trying to get the FC where it needs to be prior to that. Not really planning on swimming more this season. Just brushed and vacuumed it and adding 2 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorinator per Pool Math. Hopeful!

Welcome to TFP!

How are you testing the water? Do you have a test kit?

I'm not sure if you know this, but Dichlor will add CYA to the water that you just drained to lower. SLAM is best performed using liquid chlorine/bleach because it does not add CYA or Calcium, just salt. SLAM is also a process. You need to use enough bleach to bring your FC up to shock level and maintain it at that level until the criteria is passed. IF your CYA was at 40, the dichlor likely raised it and depending on how much dichlor was added, you might now have a higher shock level to maintain.

If you do not have your own reliable test kit, I'd recommend that you get one and add nothing but bleach to the water until it arrives. Use PoolMath to calculate 5 ppm chlorine for your pool volume and add that amount every day until your kit is delivered. Then run a full set of tests and post them in this thread. The experts here will be able to guide you through the rest of the process.

I use the TF-100 test kit, but the Taylor K2006C is also a good one. See this link to learn about the test kits recommended on this site: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool
Thanks, purchasing the TF100 right away.

We plan on following TFP protocol (not pool store—geez I’ve already dropped some serious dough!) We removed any minerals that may have been remaining in the frog system. But we did plan on continuing to using it to chlorinate the pool—unless that is frowned upon. We will winterize on November 3 and trying to get the FC where it needs to be prior to that. Not really planning on swimming more this season. Just brushed and vacuumed it and adding 2 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorinator per Pool Math. Hopeful!
Then, I would get the PH into the low 7s bring the pool up to slam level as per the CYA chart in poolschool and let the water drift down in temperature and call it done for the season. Spend the winter reading and hanging out here a bit to get a feel for pool care which is really much more simple then you may think. Bite the bullet next season with some education you already acquired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.