Zero FC-Murky water

I had a strip test kit, but the last two tests I took it to the pool store. I did a super shock of 4 gallons of 15% and my chlorine was beyond the chart for 4-5 days, i thought i would be clear or at least clearer after that. My father in law (owns a pool) thinks there is a flow problem and the water isn't turning over enough.

We NEVER recommend blindly adding that much chlorine. That added over 100ppm of FC to your pool. :shock:
There is a reason we recommend the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... it works every time.

But, to do this correctly and to maintain the pool properly, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Pool store testing and test strips are absolutely worthless.

On June 5th you said:
Yes, I have been using test strips and I'm ordering a drop kit now. Dumped 10 gallons of liquid chlorine in the past 10 days, 6 shock packets, algecide, still cloudy. What would cause very high Total Chlorine and zero FC?
Where did you order it from? You should have received it way back!

Well, you do not have a test kit, so you have no idea what the levels are and thus we can not really make any recommendations.

We are not here to convince you to keep your pool. We are here to offer FREE help if you are willing to learn.

Sounds like your mind is made up, so take the pool down and enjoy the rest of your summer without the "worry".

I agree with Jason, sounds like removing the pool would be your best bet. We can help teach someone to clear their pool, maintain a clear pool on a dollar or two a day, and help with many questions related to pool management. Convincing someone that pool ownership is worthwhile is not a part of that. Lots of people aren't interested in maintaining a pool and there is nothing wrong with that. Hopefully you can fill the area with something you find more fulfilling and enjoy your yard to its fullest :)

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

First let me say I absolutely appreciate your help and comments, I am very frustrated as I have a 12 week pool season and the first 4 weeks have been a dud. Removal is a possibility... However I think there may be some equipment issues as well, my pump is blowing very little even with a clean filter. This season I repaired the heater and now looking at the pump and filter for problems. Thats why I've been using what I have for testing, and it matched up exactly with the pool store, granted thats not the approved kits, but I have had crystal clear water following these kits in the past. My goal is to get an understanding of what I need to get this thing humming again in time and money and go from there. Its an inground pool removal isn't an easy or cheap choice.

Well, we can try to help sort the equipment, but that may not be your only problem. Fixing the chemistry using our methods requires good test results.

Does your pressure gauge work on your filter? What is the pressure?
Have you tried running the pump with the cartridge removed? What is the pressure? Is the flow higher like you remember?
Have you pulled off the motor and inspected the impeller for debris?

He opened the pump or the filter?

You can add a gauge between the pump and the filter using a PVC Tee. The gauges are usually 1/4" pipe thread. You should be able to find a Tee with your 1.5" or 2" pvc on the ends and a threaded 1/4" port in the middle, or just use reducers as needed.

Order one of the nice gauges Dave sells at tftestkit.net when you order your test kit :whip: ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I received my replacement pump parts today and have got things back to where they were, cleaned the impeller (not much was there.) I pulled the filter cartridge and flow was great, put in the cartridge clean and it really drops down the pressure. Its a new cartridge this season.

Ok will do the partial drain. Its a 6000 gallon inground fiberglass, 1 1/4 hp Jandy pump, Tropic flo 100 cart. filter with NO gauge, oversized Hayward gas heater.

Please put the following information in your signature. That way we don't have to ask or search for where the info is and you don't need to keep re-posting it.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

I pulled the filter cartridge and flow was great, put in the cartridge clean and it really drops down the pressure. Its a new cartridge this season.

Is it just me or should the pressure gauge be reading the pressure between the pump and the filter ?? When you install the cartridge (filter) shouldn't the pressure rise a bit, not drop :confused::confused:
Posting the actual numbers might be more helpful.

Update: Drained 50% of the pool to drop the CYA and attacked it with Liquid chlorine (7 gallons) Pool is now clear. Also it appeared I had a bad filter cartridge that was stopping flow, replaced that, added a pressure gauge and now we are humming at 17 PSI. Also stopped chlorine pucks and am just using liquid. Thanks for all the help guys!

The main thing is it's clear. Did you get your own test kit or are you still using strips and or the pool store ??
What did you get the CYA down to and what is your target for keeping the chlorine at now that it's clear ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.