Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
They are estimating 10-12 inches of rain. In my pool, 12 inches of rain is almost 5000 gallons. Just bought more CYA and need to go get about 3 bags of salt!

When I hear that much rain the first I do is dump in a bunch of LC. I raise my FC 3-4 ppm minimum. Also I bump my Salt up to 4000-4200 ppm knowing darn well my IC40 will read low. Last thing u want is the hard rain dropping the IC40 to 2900 ppm or below.

Good idea on the LC. I need to go buy salt first thing in the morning. I'll pour in a couple of gallons tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is full to its drain. Not overfilled.

Power out all last night. We're on the generator now. Pumps are running again, I'm going to go dump in 2 gallons LC in after Ihave a coffee.

Glad to hear everything is ok, except for your power being off.

You live in Houston where this will be a regular thing. I suggest you invest the $80 and buy a sump pump. Just saying…

Once things settle down, also check your CYA level.

I have 2 submersible pumps. No issue. Again, we had 30"-40" of rain during Harvey and the pool kept draining.

Last edited:
I bet that @JoyfulNoise would love to have that much rain coming to his pool. He would be pumping water out right now.
Rain to the AZ folks is like quantum physics for the rest of us. We understand it’s a thing...... but that’s about the extent of it. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Snoobug
Actually, 10-12” of rain would be incredibly damaging around here. We exist in desert and it’s a desert for a reason - less than 10” of precipitation per year. If we were to get more rain than that, houses would crumble, roads would flood and washes (dry river beds for those unfamiliar with the term) would fill and erode away the landscape. It’s heavy clay soil with a thick caliche layer about 12-18” down. The water has nowhere to go but flow to the lowest point. Back in ‘05/‘06 (before I lived here) there was a “50 year flood” event that my neighbor told me about. Properties all over were flooded with water, walls knocked down, etc. Tucson simply can’t handle heavy rain.

That said, I’ll happily live here as long as Tucson water stops raising our water rates 😠

• Wow
Reactions: Newdude and Snoobug
Actually, 10-12” of rain would be incredibly damaging around here. We exist in desert and it’s a desert for a reason -
Oh yeah. Like anywhere else that doesn’t usually get XYZ. This past winter was a prime example with the big freeze. Up north we would see just as many outages if extreme heat showed up for an extended time that you guys are prepared for year after year.

Just remember that an inch of water in most pools is anywhere from 200-300 gallons. Most pools average around 18k gallons. So you’re talking at most a 1-2% exchange in volume. That’s not going to have a huge impact on most chemical levels. Rain water will not mix well with pool water without significant homogenization from running the pump. So you have to be careful about not accidentally measuring the chemical levels of the rain water. Best to let a pool mix for 24-48 hours before making any decisions about what levels to adjust.

Actually, 10-12” of rain would be incredibly damaging around here. We exist in desert and it’s a desert for a reason - less than 10” of precipitation per year. If we were to get more rain than that, houses would crumble, roads would flood and washes (dry river beds for those unfamiliar with the term) would fill and erode away the landscape. It’s heavy clay soil with a thick caliche layer about 12-18” down. The water has nowhere to go but flow to the lowest point. Back in ‘05/‘06 (before I lived here) there was a “50 year flood” event that my neighbor told me about. Properties all over were flooded with water, walls knocked down, etc. Tucson simply can’t handle heavy rain.

That said, I’ll happily live here as long as Tucson water stops raising our water rates 😠
Since I've been back in Houston, we've had three, one hundred year events in a row! 2015, 2016 and 2017.

"Hundred year" event, indeed...

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.