Yet another newbie with chemical ?

Wow! That was a test in patience and also allowed me to have a completely new relationship with my pool!! Who knew?!! Well it took a few days but I finally passed the overnight test and my pool never has been so clear. Waiting for the FC to normal out today. When is a good time to recheck my other values? As I’m not sure how the night chlorine affects the other numbers yet.. but I’m learning 😉

Oh, also. Since I blew through my 0871 bottle I was wondering if you all happen to know where I should reorder this. I see the Taylor sight has some but I wanted to get a bigger bottle, as I’m gonna be a chlorine testing fool from here in out. I’m worried about expiring since I won’t be using this during the off season.. on yeah .. in 3 weeks. Glad I cleared all this up n time to close. 😂

Since I blew through my 0871 bottle I was wondering if you all happen to know where I should reorder this.
Most of us get our refills from TFTestkits.net. Some have purchased off of sites like Amazon, but be ware the product can be old. TFTestkits only sells fresh reagents.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Orders from tftestkits.net come fresh with a ~2 year expiration date. Amazon etal is hit/miss.

FC over 10 makes the PH test invalid. The other tests aren't particularly time sensitive so you won't adjust your TA unless you find the PH to be swinging after once the FC dies down. The CH test doesn't matter for your pool and the CYA hasn't changed significantly in the last few days.

Way to go! Enjoy your hard work!
The purpose of overnight chlorine loss test is to eliminate the possibility of fc loss from the sun therefore if you have loss at night it must be due to organics.
I assume that’s what u were referring to.
Test fc daily to be sure & maintain the higher target level for your cya in this chart
FC/CYA Levels so you don’t get algae again.
When you’re fc falls below 10 test all your parameters & we can help u get it all straight 👍🏻

Not sure what your weather is like but we don’t recommend closing until the water temp is consistently around 60 degrees & opening in a similar fashion before water temp rises above 60/65 in the spring.
Here’s the guide 👇

Thanks so much for the encouragement and continued help!!
Im always happy to learn ... so... here are my results today...

FC-8.5
CC- 0.5 (very light pink after testing FC)
TA-1
PH-7.5
CH-130
CYA-50

I’m worried about opening my heater valves due to corrosiveness. With these readings I’m wondering if I’m good.

I’m aerating right now to bring up PH

calcium hardness I think I off too.

Calcium does not matter for you. Some is great. You have some. Test it only so you know you have some. Which you do. :)

you have a typo with you TA but that is prolly fine too.

all pools have their own happy spot for PH but as long as yours is 7.2-8, Yup. Fine again.:) If it’s 7.2 - 7.8 that’s even better.

heat away.

Reactions: mknauss
Did u run any slam level water through the heater to be sure there were no nasties in it?
checked out your pool log - they all look great 👍🏻
Tomorrow afternoon test & then add liquid chlorine to get to 8ppm - do this everyday day until u get a feel for how much your pool “drinks” then u can dose daily but test every other day if u like.
If u dose it to the top maintenance target for your cya
FC/CYA Levels
you ensure you will never go to the minimum or below even if you lose 4ppm in one day from lots of sun, swimmers, debris etc.
When your ph rises to 8 use muriatic acid to lower it back down to 7.2 - let it rise naturally then rinse & repeat -over time this will lower your ta & eventually your pool will find its happy ta & the ph rise will stabilize 👍🏻

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge... and patience 😊
Sadly, I did not run the shock through the heater. I was told the concentrated chlorine from my frog get system that I use to have was the main reason the corrosion killed my heat exchanger. I was too afraid of that high of chlorine for those many days would have done it again 😞
It’s holding steady at 7.8/8.0 free chlorine right now. But I’m so glad u have me that tip to see what kind of loss I may have I. Order to keep the maintenance.
i was afraid the high TA would be corrosive too. But I’mon track to raise this darn PH to 8.0 and then use the acid to lower as you suggested. Thanks again!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was told the concentrated chlorine from my frog get system that I use to have was the main reason the corrosion killed my heat exchanger. I was too afraid of that high of chlorine for those many days would have done it again
Low pH destroys the heater. Chlorine is not an issue. The very acidic stew of Trichlor bled back into the heater core and destroyed it. If you use Trichlor in a feeder after a heater, the pump should not ever be turned off while there is Trichlor there.

Low pH destroys the heater. Chlorine is not an issue. The very acidic stew of Trichlor bled back into the heater core and destroyed it. If you use Trichlor in a feeder after a heater, the pump should not ever be turned off while there is Trichlor there.
Oh wow! Always appreciative for correct information. That’s so interesting. And I’ll have to keep an eye on the PH now that I have replaced that heat exchanger... 🙏

Hello and Howdy Do! So thrilled when I opened this weekend and found a beautiful clear pool! Thanks for all your help with closing last year! I have not scrubbed or vacuumed yet.

My levels are still somewhat the same. I have not added anything and these are the readings first two days: FC: 8 CC: 7.8 PH: 7.4 TA: 100 CYA: 45 CAL: 110

I was hoping for higher CYA after draining so low at closing. But no :-( Anyway, I can bring up PH with my fountain. I assume I don’t need to SLAM. Readings stayed the same overnight. Should I adjust for TA? Or leave it be for a bit? Filter has been running for 36 hours in total. Thanks so much!

Hey LL !! CYA always rounds up to the next 10. Unless you’re @mguzzy who can taste a 43.

a PH of 7.X is great. There is no good/better/best. Of course, monitor it closely at the edges of 7 and be prepared to adjust if it continues to drift down/up.

a TA of 100 will settle in on its own to its happy place when you keep the PH is the 7s. It takes time find its spot and when it does the PH should remain pretty stable. When the TA finds its spot, listen to it. If it’s 60 or 110 or anywhere in between..... let it be happy, lest you risk poking the bear.

Use it all to track your CSI just for knowledge sake. It doesn’t matter much for vinyl unless you see scaling, which you probably won’t see. :)

Hey LL !! CYA always rounds up to the next 10. Unless you’re @mguzzy who can taste a 43.

a PH of 7.X is great. There is no good/better/best. Of course, monitor it closely at the edges of 7 and be prepared to adjust if it continues to drift down/up.

a TA of 100 will settle in on its own to its happy place when you keep the PH is the 7s. It takes time find its spot and when it does the PH should remain pretty stable. When the TA finds its spot, listen to it. If it’s 60 or 110 or anywhere in between..... let it be happy, lest you risk poking the bear.

Use it all to track your CSI just for knowledge sake. It doesn’t matter much for vinyl unless you see scaling, which you probably won’t see. :)
Thank you so much for your time and help!!!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.