Yet Another Dolphin Thread

May 17, 2015
Greenville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have a double Grecian pool, 4-8 ft depth, ~40-ft long. I have been having issues with vacuuming lately, on and off suction, so I am done with it and buying a Dolphin.

Side note that may be relative: the skimmer closest to the pump is always good when not vacuuming, second skimmer is always weak. When I plug the first skimmer the second is great so there should not not be a leak, I do not think, just the distance. I may have other pool circulation issues, plus personal issues not to be discussed here, but I do not think they are what makes the vac stop working randomly. I have cleared the hose so it is good.

I emailed Marina but did not hear back after three days. I called and left a voicemail but have not heard back, granted only four hours from the call to when they closed today. I have checked the Dolphin/Maytronics website vs. Leslie's (we have a local store which we may visit tomorrow) and the models do not match up so I am confused. Based on comments on this forum I was sold on a 300, but that is not an option at Leslie's. From their website I would be buying a DX3s or DX5i or some other crazy thing. Is this like the Doheny site where they just rename the same product and sell it as "theirs"?

I have little confidence in my local pool company so I do not want to ask them.

I am confused and frustrated enough I am ready to fill the pool in, expect I just built a new 6' privacy fence. By myself. And my wife loves it, and I love her. Help me please.

Maytronics makes many different robots. Then to further confuse things, they make the same robot with just colored differently under different model names. The ones you describe at Leslie’s, don’t sound like they relate to the S series/Active series/Triton models. (Which are all the same basic machines with different color cases) The S series seem to be highly regarded here on the forum, and you are very unlikely to find a better price than Marina Pools.

I just got my s300i this week. Yesterday was it’s first day in. I was impressed. I even caught it trying to get out of the pool! It climbed all my steps and was on the top step! I’ll put more details in my build when I get to know it better.

I will call Marina again tomorrow, I would prefer to deal with them if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

I did consider the time difference, they may have been really busy since it was a Saturday afternoon. I am more surprised they have not responded to my email than I am that they have not responded to my phone call.

I was able to get in touch with Margaret this week and she was great. After talking to her, I decided to order a M400 since it seemed to suite the pool better, 48-ft long and about 40,000 gal according to some paperwork I found from the 1987 build.

I ran it today on a standard 2.5 hour cycle with the "large" filter and the pool looks so much better than it did when I manually vacuumed it last week. It is running a second time now and I will run it with the fine filter tomorrow, then check the chems since we had a lot of rain this week.

It is not climbing the walls so I need to look into that aspect, but I do not mind scrubbing a little since it is quick work. We have never really had an algae issue, just the typical water line scum.

I do not have a 110 receptacle near the pool so I have to run an extension cord down, I may be installing a receptacle this summer to make it easier. I have seven steps down to the pool from the deck so the caddie is useless, I will soon mount it on the wall in the garage for storage and just carry the power unit and vac down to the pool.

The price was significantly less than two local prices. A coworker order an S200 for his 14k gallon pool after I told him about the pricing.

Most important, I have named it H.A.L. Short for Haley, it has to be female aferall.

One day in and I am happy, I will report back in a few weeks with more feedback.

I have seven steps down to the pool from the deck so the caddie is useless, I will soon mount it on the wall in the garage for storage and just carry the power unit and vac down to the pool.

One important thing the caddie does (I don't have one mind you) is keeping the brushes off the floor, when stored.

However you end up storing it, do it in such a way that the cleaner is not resting on them, other wise over time
they will develop flat spots and be less effective..

I have the Dolphin E-10 with 1 active brush on the front and I store it on an elevated surface so only the tank
treads are holding it up, with nothing below the brush so it is elevated/not touching the ground.

Congrats on the purchase! I've had mine a year now and wish I'd gotten it sooner. The fine filter makes
a VERY big difference both in keeping dirt from returning to the pool floor and clearing the water even more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.