Yellowing on white plastics

May 9, 2016
Princeton,NJ
Opened my pool a week ago to some algae, nothing new.

this years opening was my first with my new liner.

noticed anything that is white has turned yellow, main drain cover, light bracket, stairs, skimmer faceplate.

I have a test kit but it’s hard to decipher pH level it’s pink but hard to tell the shade.

I have public water and never had this problem in the past. Scrubbing with a brush doesn’t make a difference and I have an area on the bottom corner near deep end that is yellowish.

Attachments

• 0744EBA0-05C3-4CBE-8FA4-A0C44CF0586D.jpeg
    0744EBA0-05C3-4CBE-8FA4-A0C44CF0586D.jpeg
    692 KB · Views: 10
Iron most likely. Take a vitamin C tablet and rub it on a spot. It should instantly turn white vitamin c is ascorbic acid. To get my stairs I just spot treat by putting a few tabs in a sock and then smashing them up with a hammer. Then just rub the sock on the stairs. Easier then the following article if you don’t have a lot of bad staining.

Reactions: westbrook215
Iron most likely. Take a vitamin C tablet and rub it on a spot. It should instantly turn white vitamin c is ascorbic acid. To get my stairs I just spot treat by putting a few tabs in a sock and then smashing them up with a hammer. Then just rub the sock on the stairs. Easier then the following article if you don’t have a lot of bad staining.
Vitamin c tabs crushed up in a sock like you said worked! So my question is did your staining come back?

I put algaecide in the fall last year could it have come from that?

I didn’t add water to my pool I just opened it 3 weeks ago. I don’t recall the steps being yellow.

Reactions: Orion7319
Vitamin c tabs crushed up in a sock like you said worked! So my question is did your staining come back?

I put algaecide in the fall last year could it have come from that?

I didn’t add water to my pool I just opened it 3 weeks ago. I don’t recall the steps being yellow.
Haha! Yes I will always deal with iron staining in the pool, at least a little bit. In my area the soil has so much iron in it that any area that has been cleared looks like the surface of Mars. We have red clay here so I just treat my stairs and my skimmer. My liner is only a few years old, if that starts looking bad I would try and treat it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.