Yay, I got a pool ... now what?!

pooloclock

Dec 13, 2020
san jose
Long time fan, first time owner of a pool (and spa). Hi everyone :) I have a lot of questions, but it would be great to get any top tips from experienced pool owners of what to invest in.

Quick equipment overview:
  • MasterTemp 400 Heater
  • Intelliflo I1 Pump
  • LA01N Booster Pump
  • WFET-8 Pump
  • CCP520 Filter
  • Bioshield UV 90gpm E150s
  • Intellicenter I8PS
  • Zodiac F5TR TR28 pressure cleaner
It's a salt water system, but not sure if the above equipment makes that clear. Some specific questions I have are:

Extending the pool season (I'm in San Jose)
  1. Is it possible to get a pool cover for my crazy shaped pool? In particular one that is easy to apply and store
  2. How worthwhile is a solar pool heater and how much does it extend the season?
Running
  1. Any estimates on what it would cost to heat the spa for an evening? (mastertemp 400, PG&E)
  2. With a salt and UV system, what should my weekly or month maintenance routine look like?
  3. Water has been in about 3 weeks, only running through the filter about 8 hours per day. What's my first step re: chemicals/salt? (water temp is currently 52)
  4. What do you think about adding an automated monitor, like WaterGuru?

Any other pro tips I should think about? I'm a big fan of automation, so any geeky stuff is also appreciated :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 5.23.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 5.23.58 PM.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 5.23.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 5.23.43 PM.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: thefloatqueen
Welcome to TFP! I’m so glad I found this site, I know it’s saved me tons of money and frustration!

I can’t answer all your questions, but the most important thing for a pool or spa is a quality test kit, unless you happen to have one. You can either get the K-2006C from Amazon or wherever or the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. They are expensive for test kits but it’s important to know exactly what your water chemistry is to maintain the pool appropriately, and pool store testing has been proven here to be unreliable. The most important thing is the FAS-DPD test, as it is the only one that can test for the levels of chlorine recommended at TFP. I also highly recommend throwing in the Speedstir and if you can spare a few extra bucks I just got the SampleSizer today and now I’m kicking myself for not getting that earlier.

Once you have an appropriate test kit do a full set of tests and post the results here so we are able to help you.

UV systems generally are not recommended here for outdoor pools. Some UV is useful, but for an outdoor pool more than enough comes from the sun for free. UV also burns through chlorine though, which is why a UV system isn’t very useful for outdoor pools.

A saltwater chlorine generator, or SWCG, is extremely useful and a lot of people here use them, so that’s great you have one.

Solar pools heaters can be useful, but need to be roughly at least 50% of the surface area of your pool to make much of a noticeable difference in temp.

Solar covers are wildly known to be very effective in raising the average temp of a pool, but are likewise know for being a pain in the butt as well. I gave up on the one for my above ground Intex pool, but it seems a good cover reel makes it easier, and for sure it would be much easier for an in ground pool than my above ground pool. For a weird shape pool you buy a regular cover that’s big enough and trim it to shape with some scissors.

I suggest you browse some of our articles in the Pool School while waiting for your test kit. Pool School

Reactions: pooloclock
We live in socal and have had our pool for a little over 3 years now. I still consider myself to be just above a newbie at it, but have a few thoughts that might be helpful.

Is it possible to get a pool cover for my crazy shaped pool? In particular one that is easy to apply and store

We have an odd-shaped pool too. The previous owner left a cover for the pool, which was a solar cover which he had hand-cut to the dimensions of the pool. We tried using it, it does reduce evaporation and keep the water warmer, but it was a pain to use. For us, the pain of removing it and storing it wasn't worth the benefit, and we got rid of it after about 2 years. But, they aren't all that expensive, so it might be worth a try for you. Keep in mind that it gets to be a mess over time because it'll collect dirt and leaves as it sits on top of the pool.

How worthwhile is a solar pool heater and how much does it extend the season?

In our experience, it doesn't extend the season as much as warm the water between about April and September. Right now, our pool temp is in the high-50s to low-60s with the solar running every day for about 4 hours (we run it because it doesn't cost much to pump the water up to the solar system while the pumps would be running anyway to filter the water). But, in the summer, the solar will get the pool into the low-90s and reliably keep it in the 80s. Obviously, the water temp will depend on the average air temp through the day and cloud cover too, but the solar really warms the water a lot in the 3 months centered on the summer solstice.

Any estimates on what it would cost to heat the spa for an evening? (mastertemp 400, PG&E)

Obviously, there are several variables in the equation, but I estimate it costs us $5 each time we warm the spa from pool temp.

With a salt and UV system, what should my weekly or month maintenance routine look like?

Read through the pool school section on this site several times, and then post whatever questions you have. The people here are great and have a wealth of knowledge they are happy to share.

Also, add all of your pool details to your signature like you see in mine (add your pool heater details too, I still need to add that to mine) and when you get the PoolMath app, make sure to set it up to share your logs, so when you ask for help, you don't need to include those details in your post.

Welcome to TFP.

Confirm this is a newly built pool with new plaster?

What start-up guide are you following?

Extending the pool season (I'm in San Jose)
  1. Is it possible to get a pool cover for my crazy shaped pool?

Yes, get an oversize cover and cut it to your shape.

1. In particular one that is easy to apply and store

Not really. Cut your pool cover into two or three pieces to be easier to handle.

1. How worthwhile is a solar pool heater and how much does it extend the season?

Not much. When you want to extend the season solar becomes less effective with lower sun angles and shorter days.

1. Any estimates on what it would cost to heat the spa for an evening? (mastertemp 400, PG&E)

You will find a Pool Heating and Run Time Calculator spreadsheet here. If you know your gas cost/therm and temperature rise it can be calculated.

1. With a salt and UV system, what should my weekly or month maintenance routine look like?

1. Water has been in about 3 weeks, only running through the filter about 8 hours per day. What's my first step re: chemicals/salt? (water temp is currently 52)

First step is to get the K-2006 test kit or TF-100 Test Kits and the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test I also recommend getting the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer

Post a full set of tests as we don't know what startup chemicals were added:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

With a water temperature of 52 your SWG will not work until the water warms up. No reason to rush to add salt now.

Stock up on 10% liquid chlorine to chlorinate your pool until the water warms up.

1. What do you think about adding an automated monitor, like WaterGuru?

Use the search bar on the top of this window and you will find discussions about WaterGuru.

Any other pro tips I should think about? I'm a big fan of automation, so any geeky stuff is also appreciated :)

Download PoolMath

Read Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pooloclock
The pool was existing, but the old plaster was chipped away to the concrete and new plaster (Tahoe Blue) added. The builders did an acid wash and then filled the pool with water. It has been running through the filter 8 hours per day. They did vacuum out the dust at the bottom of the pool after a week or so.

Interesting to read that I should be brushing the pool. I'll have to get some nets/brushes.

No chemicals have been added yet. Thanks for the links, test kit ordered and will report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.