Yay, Foreclosure Pool!!!

Those are good to have around for using during vacation periods. I would balance the pH, bring the CYA up with granulated stabilizer and then get to SLAMming.

It sure looks like you have NO valves :( We will work on that when it your SLAM is done.

I will let the others help you with your levels. They have been doing a great job so far!

Kim (who just started back to school so a little shot on time sorry)

And if you haven't yet added the MA, guesstimate the amount, rather than measure it. MA can be dangerous. If you are adding a quart, that's 1/4 gallon. Wear glasses and position yourself upwind so you don't breath in the fumes. I lower the jug into the water so the lip is 1-2" above the water and slowly pour.

Also remember the CYA is going to take as long as a week or more to fully show up in your testing. So, use poolmath to get close on the amount of stabilizer to add and just wait for a while to check it. Just pretend it is already there for your FC calculations in poolmath.

Hope that is not too confusing.

Tim

And if you haven't yet added the MA, guesstimate the amount, rather than measure it. MA can be dangerous. If you are adding a quart, that's 1/4 gallon. Wear glasses and position yourself upwind so you don't breath in the fumes. I lower the jug into the water so the lip is 1-2" above the water and slowly pour.

Thanks for the advice! I did this and breathed in while pouring and hooooly moly, my throat and chest still burns!! BUT, my pool has the MA. And I didn't get any splash back [emoji106]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always consider which way the wind is blowing. Even a very light breeze can carry fumes away, or blow them right back in your face. I carry the jug to the pool capped. Make sure I'm upwind, uncap the jug put it down so that the bottom of the container is touching the water then slowly pour a pencil sized stream into the pool. That way the distance from the jug to the water is short, causing less fumes and less chance for spatter. Should anything happen, hand slip, lose control of the container, etc. let go and back away. You'll end up having some serious pH imbalance, but at least you won't get hurt. Always have glasses or googles on whe handling MA. The higher the humidity, the stronger the fumes will be.

I retested the pH & it was 7.8, so I added another quart of MA. Relieved to announce no casualties!
[emoji39]

6e0fa427615bb6a531b1abb656bc6cac.jpg

I'm hoping to start my SLAM tonight. ::fingers crossed::

(Edited for format)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used 3/4 of a gallon of MA, but I think my pH is finally on target! I got a pH of 7.5 last night and ~7.2 this morning.

Test from this morning:
19dcc6514dbed354cae054b10619a37f.jpg

Added 6 jugs of bleach & socked 4lbs of CYA last night.

Total chlorine (TC?): ~0.25 ppm
pH ~7.2
FC 0.5 ppm

Oops. I should've read the Chlorine Drop Test instructions more carefully. The very first line states, "Use this test for accuracy... And/or levels of chlorine above 5 ppm."

What's my next move?

It's pretty sunny and hot here in TX. Should I wait until this evening to add bleach? How many gallons should I add?

Katie you will have to use the powder FC test in the TF-100 kit to measure FC over 5. Here is a link how to do it.

How to Use a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 - YouTube

Here is Pool Math. It will do all of the math work for you. Make sure to put it on Trouble Free Pool down at the bottom (yellow box). You will need to play around with it to learn how it works. It is easy once you get the hang of it.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

You need to be adding chlorine as soon as your FC test shows you are under the SLAM level for the CYA you targeted.

Here are two more links to help you out.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.