Yay, Foreclosure Pool!!!

Got my kit & I'm ready to use it!
464a94b39672b077661dcf2031d0fdfd.jpg

This is my CYA test. I'm assuming it's 0.0 ppm. [emoji23] Can I add chlorine disks & my floater to the pool until I get a CYA reading? Do I need to step foot :shutter: inside my Leslie's pool store to get some stabilizer?
3d98b4cefd945013bc61c7be368835cf.jpg

And no surprise here: My pH reading of 8.2 or higher
64ce7b00d86b9cf6bf87a5abc4322a33.jpg

May I start adding bleach or do I need to add stabilizer first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pH correction usually takes about 30 mins. Unless you end up having to do the addition a few times. Since the reading is off the chart it could be 8.2 or more. So it might take more than one try to get it down to 7.2 for SLAMming. You use muriatic acid to lower pH.

CYA can take a week or more to register. You can get CYA anyplace that sells pool stuff. It's called stabilizer, sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Read all about chems and what to use, here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

pH and CYA have no relationship. So you are estimating 25,000 gals. Have you tried PoolMath yet? Enter 25,000 for your gals. Set the "Now" values for pH to 8.2 and the target to 7.5 and then select calculate. It will tell you how much muriatic acid to add. Since you are not positive on the pool size maybe go a little less than the recommend.

If you do not have muriatic acid, the best deal will probably be Home Depot in the pool/garden department. they have a 2 gal box for $11. You might be able to find a 4# container of stabilizer there. I have not seen stabilizer at a few Walmart in the last month

- - - Updated - - -

try not to go straight to 7.2 for the pH...you want to "inch" your way there. Especially since you are not sure of the pool size

Thanks! I wrongly assumed that CYA being an acid would lower the pH. I'm so thankful to have you guys!!!

I'll check out Muriaric Acid at Home Depot later tonight.

Now for my Pool Math & recommended pool chemicals Homework... [emoji16]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so pool math says to add 74oz to a 25000 gal. pool to take it from 8.2 down to 7.2. So, if you want add a quart of muratic to start with then run the pump for 30 mins to an hour and recheck to see how close you got before adding another quart. Then retest again in 30mins - 1 hr. and keep checking and adding Muratic acid until you get close to 7.2. Once you start your SLAM you cannot get an accurate PH reading if the FC is above 10 so that is why you need to adjust it before you start SLAMMING.

Tim

Hilarious, Jagger!!! I guess the upside of having been "pool stored" is I have a whole bucket of pucks on hand. Let's smoke these puppies!!!

Ok, I've loaded my floater up with 5 pucks! I'll take a CYA reading when I add the Muriatic Acid.

Someone should be able to tell us how much CYA you will get from each puck. Do not worry about measuring that yet. Save your reagent. One of the geniuses here will have some insight. I just recommended the pucks because you have a partial indoor and indoor pools do not need CYA. I guess we should verify what kind of pucks you have

I want to revise my statement about indoor pools not needing CYA. Apparently it might be considered optional, and after a little research, the smart guys on this website (ChemGeek and others) recommend 10 -20 CYA for an indoor pool. Thanks pabeader!

Last edited:
@kimkats, I took pics of my piping up close. As far as I can tell, I have no valves except for the big Flo-valve pictured
22cb4c54e681008d138a181ff490a449.jpg

And someone awhile back was suggesting the valve may be on the other side of the heater. This is to the right of my heater. I'm almost positive this pipe is just a gas line. We don't even have gas turned on at our property, so we're not even using the heater. What a waste.
25e5e8544512cb3ec737899b18537c1c.jpg

The supposed gas pipe wraps behind the heater as shown (to the yellow hose). But I don't see any more valves anywhere...
040be3683dbeb6fc0e8a92439efac3c9.jpg

The pucks vary some in size and weight, but in my pool (which is smaller) with the pucks I have, each puck adds only about 1.4 ppm CYA. wWth your size pool it's probably close enough to 1ppm CYA per puck fofor calculations. So you would use a lot of pucks to raise the CYA. Unless you have a lot of them just lying around, time to buy some stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.