Yard fairly level, not sure where to go now

If you have a quarry close to home check on the cost of "screenings", around here they sell that stuff for like $2.40-$2.50 a ton plus trucking, cheaper than sand around here, and IMO the screenings work better, while they will still wash out, it stays put better than sand.

Most places will fill a pickup bed full of sand or screenings for around $25.00, which should be plenty for your pool size.

One bad thing about using sand. If you want to remove the pool someday and go back to grass, it will be hard to get rid of the sand. I sifted the dirt that I dug out and I had an old pile of dirt that I also sifted. This got rid of any rocks over 1/4". I went around and picked out any large pebbles. I then used a ground cloth and then 200 pounds of sand to fine tune the area and then another ground cloth, the bottom of an old pool. I used 7"-7" pieces of 1/4 plywood for under the poles.

Ok, am starting my leveling project with my 10' 2x4 with a level on top of it and a shovel. I've put the 2x4 down and in almost every spot it tells me I'm already level, but I know that's gotta be just the ends of the levels becaused some parts under the 2x4 there's a little gap I can put my fingers in between the wood and ground.
Does this supposedly levelness buy me anything or should I still dig up the whole area? Not sure if that means my sand would fill in the slightly low spots sufficient enough or not.
Also, what's the best way to do this by hand? Go around the outer circile of where the pool would go and dig in a bit, then make another circle farther in pushing down with the shovel, then cut that into small chunks to rip/roll up?

I dug up all the grass when I installed my pool but only because I had to level the area by about 12". Your area sounds really flat. I am not sure if you need to remove the grass. Removing all the grass may make your area softer and less level. I would just put down a thin layer of sand and set up the pool. Removing all the grass is a lot of work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I should probably make a new post and ask this, but I'll try here. Do pavers for the posts go above or under the ground tarp? I'm thinking under, but it seems like the plastic feet on the bottom of the posts like to slide on the plasticy tarp

Thanks, I wasn't sure. I ran out of time tonight to put pavers into the sand under where the legs will go. But did try setting the legs just on tarp, seemed a little slick to me so wasn't sure, but figured them in the sand would be best

The last thing you want to do is set those supports directly on sand, they WILL settle.

Pfancher did a WONDERFUL job of setting her pool up! :goodjob:

Between her thread with all the pictures, and this thread: here-is-how-to-properly-install-an-ag-pool-t47619.html, it should be pretty clear how to go about doing this.

If you get the pavers set on a "Soild" surface, undisturbed soil, or well packed gravel/screenings then make sure you assemble the pool so the supports are properly placed over each paver, and watch as it starts to fill that nothing moves, then placing the supports with the tarp between the pavers and supports will not be a problem.

Any sand under the pool should be kept as thin as possible, just enough to provide a soft bottom for comfort, and NOT under the supports.

Yeah, I'm planning on kinda burrowing the pavers into that layer of sand so the tops of those are level with the top of the sand, which I think (hope) is right ;)
Those pictures help a lot on both links. Too bad the directions that come with the pool aren't as thorough as everyone on here :)

LOL, yea the factory instructions are a bit lacking.

I guess they figure if they are up front with people about what is "actually" involved in setting the pool up "correctly", too many would just close the box and return the pool, lol.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress, Ummmm, You do know Pictures are "Required" here right?...giggles, not actually required but we do love them, so dust off the camera lense and start snapping pics.

Yeah, I do chuckle every time i see that "sets up in 45-60 minutes". good thing they don't mention the prep work! ;)

I'll try to post a pic when i'm done, after I see how well I did leveling once i get some water in there. Would hate to embarrass myself after all these questions and work in the yard haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.