Xylene safe on fiberglass shell?

I'm seeing mixed online reviews for using it on fiberglass, so I'd be cautious. If you do try it, do so in a tiny inconspicuous area first. Have you tried a simple Magic Eraser or similar product? Maybe a chemical mixture that we already use in the pool like a 3:1 water/bleach mixture, or perhaps a 5:1 ratio water/muriatic acid? Many pool manufactures also have no problem with using a fine wet/dry sandpaper, something around 1,500 - 2,000 grit.

Maybe someone else with more in-depth chemical experience can confirm if it's safe or if there's another alternative available.

Xylene is a very powerful solvent and not at all something you want to mess around with without a good pair of chemical resistant gloves. Before using that, I would try acetone first (get it pure from the hardware store paint section, DO NOT use nail-polish remover). I have cleaned fiberglass door frames using acetone to remove oils and fingerprints. If that doesn’t work, then you can try xylene but, as Pat says, do it in an inconspicuous spot first...

I am reviving this old thread because I just had my stamped concrete deck sealed again. I had major drips down the top of my fiberglass pool above the water line. I used acetone, (the kind you get at the hardware store, not fingernail polish remover), and it worked great. I used a cottonball pad, it removed really easy. Some of the acetone got into the water, I just brought it up to shock level, brushed above the waterline, then backwashed. I had a problem years ago with this and questioned using xylene, I cant remember what I used back then. From my research acetone was okay on fiberglass. Hope this helps anyone with a fiberglass pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.