XTR Set up ideas

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
I’m trying to go ahead & plan early. I intend to get an XTR at the end of season on sale this year to replace my existing ultra frame. It’s been a learning experience. After 3 years, we have quite a bit of rust. Even though the XTR claims to be rust proof, I want to be overly cautious. I know that it’s powder coated, does anyone think going over that with some clear coat would hurt the powder coating? Also, the corners will still be exposed to water. All it takes is one scratch to expose the metal. So I’m thinking of getting some conduit like this to go over the corner elbow pieces. Thoughts?

There is a post on here where someone made some flaps to go over the exposed railing on their intex. It looked like a really great idea. I can't recall the title to the post, but you can probably find it in the search box. I think painting over everything is a good idea too. I just have a cheap (meaning I got it for $74 at the end of season sell) prism frame, and I painted the inside and outside of all the metal before I installed it. I used silicon tape where the horizontal pieces fit into the vertical leg supports to try and keep water from getting inside. I don't know how well that will work but we'll see. Good luck

I went from an ultra frame that rusted out in two seasons to an XTR as well. (My XTR has only been set up for a few months now, so I can’t speak to it’s longevity yet). However, I did want to point out that the XTR has two big anti rust features. Not only is it powder coated on the inside and outside of the tubes, but they also use galvanized steel. I think the galvanized steel is a much bigger deal than the powder coating because one of the features of galvanization is that it will continue to work even if the metal is scratched. The zinc used in the galvanization process will work as a sacrificial anode and continue to protect exposed metal from rusting.

When I installed the pool I considered trying to go to extra lengths to protect it, but in the end I decided that the galvanization and extra powder coating are really probably enough on their own.

I get all that & I know that is a lot of protection. I just want to ensure that it lasts. I thought I had seen on here just a few months ago where someone had the XTR from last year that had already rusted. It’s definitely reassuring that intex is offering a 2 year warranty, but I don’t want to have to deal with taking it down & reinstalling if something happens b/c let’s face it, the 2 people in 90 minutes set up is pure bs.lol

There is a post on here where someone made some flaps to go over the exposed railing on their intex. It looked like a really great idea. I can't recall the title to the post, but you can probably find it in the search box. I think painting over everything is a good idea too. I just have a cheap (meaning I got it for $74 at the end of season sell) prism frame, and I painted the inside and outside of all the metal before I installed it. I used silicon tape where the horizontal pieces fit into the vertical leg supports to try and keep water from getting inside. I don't know how well that will work but we'll see. Good luck
I like that idea. I will look a little further into that. I could even use my current liner for them.

I get all that & I know that is a lot of protection. I just want to ensure that it lasts. I thought I had seen on here just a few months ago where someone had the XTR from last year that had already rusted. It’s definitely reassuring that intex is offering a 2 year warranty, but I don’t want to have to deal with taking it down & reinstalling if something happens b/c let’s face it, the 2 people in 90 minutes set up is pure bs.lol
I had 6 people and setup the pool in less than an hour. Now the ground prep was a whole different ball game?

Reactions: Windylou
these are not permanent pools so you kind of have to balance out how much extra protection you do with the cost. you could get your frame perfect to never rust and the liner rots from the sun in 5 or 6 years (I recommend some flex seal as-seen-on-tv paint on the tops of the sleeves, speaking of spending extra $ to protect)... do a few reasonable things and enjoy it, the best thing to do is have good chemistry going on with your water.

here it is Idea to help keep water out of Intex rails and t-connectors....

Reactions: Windylou

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.