WTB the right 2 inch pvc coupling?

pcm2a

Aug 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, Tn
My pool system has many couplings on it. All of them are 2 inch couplings and 3 inches long. I went to Lowes, looked at everything they had and even asked the guy and the only 2 inch coupling is 1.75 inches long. I'm not sure I'm confident in using that. Is the only place to get a longer one the pool shops? I did some google searches for "pool 2 inch coupling pvc" and couldn't come up with it. Leads me to believe my search term is no good.

If that is plenty big, then my next concern is it's an extremely tight fit. I'll have to hammer on it if I wanted it seated all the way. I'm not sure I'd be able to get it seated and turned to the exact spot before the cement was hard. When I've installed check valves and unions it's always slid in real easily.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 5.34.05 PM.png

Your existing coupling is a “deep” or “long” coupling. Probably not at the typical big box stores. Maybe Ace Hardware? You can also try counter sales at a plumbing supply house. Last option is to just order online.

When you are saying hammer on, is that when you are trying to fit up dry? It should slip in once you have the glue on it.

The deep couplings give a little extra support and also help correct goof ups.

Yeah dry fitting is when it is tight. I don't see how I'll ever get it to line up with my union going to my filter without a dry fit. And your also right that my "straight" cuts are not straight. This is also on the output of my pool pump if that needs some extra support.

I wanted to give it my best shot before having a pool place come out and charge $200 to do it for me.

I think you have a DWV (Drain Waste Vent) coupling intended for non pressurized plumbing not a coupling for schedule 40 pressurized applications. Some folks get away with using DWV stuff from the big box stores. But it is not what pool builders use.

In my picture? Yeah, I put that on just to check for other leaks and to run it for a little bit to get some bleach through. Under it my pipe is already cut some. It will be replaced with the coupling as soon as I have the right part. It would eventually blow apart by the way it balloons out.

Is the short coupling safe to use on pool applications?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Installation went fine. Anyone that says it will "slide right in once the primer and cement are applied" is one hundred million trillion bazillion percent wrong. It would not slide right in. Luckily I planned for this and had a rubber mallet beside it. I used the mallet to hammer it down on there. Good thing I was able to do it quick enough before it was stuck. I somehow also managed to line up the union perfectly.

Installation went fine. Anyone that says it will "slide right in once the primer and cement are applied" is one hundred million trillion bazillion percent wrong. It would not slide right in. Luckily I planned for this and had a rubber mallet beside it. I used the mallet to hammer it down on there. Good thing I was able to do it quick enough before it was stuck. I somehow also managed to line up the union perfectly.
Sorry about that. That’s odd. Maybe the pipe swelled a bit from being in the elements. Or it had some dirt buildup? Not sure. Usually it fits right on with a little effort, but not having to hammer on with a mallet!

You know, you might be right about that. In the store I bought an extra 2" pipe for something else and when I left the store I stuck the coupling on the end. It only slid in about 10% but it did slide in that far easily. On the existing pipes it wouldn't even slide in 1% without force.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.