Wrong plaster

Jun 22, 2014
Boston, MA
Folks,

Wrong wet edge technologies plaster installed this morning for existing pool renovation...Will not work with our pool whatsoever (teal green vs white).

In such a scenario where the plaster is so fresh (and applied directly to the bonding agent), what is the best practice for having the correct plaster installed?

Full redo? Can one go over the newly installed plaster with the correct coat?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Very frustrating after all other components went smoothly and on time.

Thanks,

SR

Wow. That is very unfortunate and surely frustrating. Can you include what your PB said they could do?
Did you do a complete chip out of plaster before applying this plaster? Not sure you want to keep building layer over layer.
You can plaster over it - they would need to chip out at the water edge, around the drain and around returns as they did before.
I would not think they need to wait for curing - but your PB would advise on that.
Knowing that the thickness is important, I would first approach a complete chip out then start again with the right color.

Wow... and you know for sure it is the wrong color? Ours looked way different before the acid wash the next day.

Good point by @JJ_Tex . I assumed @scarabrad knew it was the wrong color mixed into the plaster.
If you are just looking at it dry (or with fill water) it will definitely look a different color. Confirm how you know it is wrong color.

Ok...so 100% (actually closer to 1000%) sure it is the wrong color plaster. The intended plaster is white...the plaster poured was a dark blue. Total mess up, largely a clerical error.

That being said...here's what followed. I am actually pretty impressed with the response of the contractors and subcontractors involved and as of this morning, we appear to be back on track.

All of the walls were sprayed with an initial coat of plaster. It was only then that the error was discovered. The decision was made to rough up what had been applied and to remove whatever excess could be removed. This left a very rough surface to which new plaster (the correct one) could be applied. However, there was clearly not enough depth to do that close to the tile line. So.......

The contractor in charge of plaster sent a very apologetic and motivated crew out this morning and they spent 2-3 hours chipping away at all of the plaster for a good 4-12 inches below the tile line, as well as around every drain, return, light, etc. The preparation went beyond what was done for the original attempt at plastering. The surface exposed is now quite rough and should receive the correct plaster without difficulty.

The crew is now returning tomorrow (on a Sunday) to finish the job and to make minor repairs/adjustments. I hesitate to name companies involved at this point, because up until this major snafu, all components went very smoothly and ahead of schedule. I still intend on providing a positive review for those involved because we have been well taken care of thus far and any issues have been always addressed to our satisfaction.

Suffice it to say, I believe we have found a silver lining in these acutely choppy waters and will end up with exactly what we wanted (with reassurances that extra attention to detail will be paid on the final plastering).

Appreciate the input thus far. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!

SR

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.